Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: San Felipe - Quad & Wallet stolen at gunpoint
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 02:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  
Ripped, stripped and otherwise beat to chite.
I don't think you really want that quad back.
After being abused, it's been parted out for the locals consumption.
Ran into a guy on our trip last month who had a brand new Wildcat stolen in SF, I think I've understood that the area is becoming less safe related to the economy. Sad to learn that Pete's Camp isn't safe either.

Not necessarily so Sweets. Many are just taken out of the area and sold. Couple of months ago a couple of motorcycles were stolen in Guerrero Negro (did I spell that right), and they were returned later that day by the police...for a reward. Atv stolen last year in La Bocana..found in Vizcaino with a few scratches but otherwise fine...for a reward. Motorcycles stolen in San Felipe at a hotel last year...returned for a reward but I can not find the info right now.

I did not offer enough for my car and garage stuff, so I was told later.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Louie800gs  
I tried contacting the banks but after attempting for a long time I discovered that you cannot make 1-800 calls from Mexico. I had to google and search for the direct #'s to the banks and that took a while, due to the poor internet speeds. This is the reason I had to wait until the morning.

here, this may help out.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/dial-tollfree-numbers-mexico-...
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 02:55 PM

I NEVER had any problems with 800 calls...????

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 04:25 PM

That is a great poster and I hope it works. Can it be printed up in San Felipe? Maybe send it to a friend and have them print up many and post them all over town.

Bornfisher, I have simply not signed my cards but printing SEE ID is really smart.

Mom....Teach......thanks you all for the focus on the issue at hand!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 04:39 PM

Yeah I had that issue trying to call vessel assist with their 800 number. Had to call my wife,had her call vessel assist and had them call me!!
As far as banking, if you have a mobile bank app on your phone, you can lock your cards. Then all you need is a cell signal and you`re good. Also if you`re afraid that someone may steal your password, set up your account to sign in with your thumb print.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 05:28 PM

Good luck with finding the people or the quad. I must admit, I hate all the negativity of some people. If you don't like something, don't read it, don't post about it and just move onto another thread.

I've enjoyed a lot of the info and posts on this forum and hope it can stay civil.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 06:23 PM

As Tom (TMW) mentioned, here is a brief version of my SF moto theft experience 2014:

Parked 690 KTM outside bakery at 6:00 pm for 5 minutes (needed a post-taco donut, ya know)...walked outside and bike had been rolled away with helmet on bars.

Freaked out, called police, reported it....figured out I would make reward posters and spread them around town at small moto/offroad type shops....In Spanish, the poster had a bike pic and said:
*** $15,000 MP reward...Sin policia/sin preguntas and mentioned could be returned to Kiki's Motel ***

Got the bike back within 48 hours.

The bike was worth about $18,000 CDN...and worth the reward.

It was returned by a family member from one of the moto shops....right across the street from the bakery !!!! Kiki told me that one of the family's children saw who rolled the bike away and told the parents (and that the guy was not one of the known moto thieves in SF)...and a son in his early 20's returned the bike and got the money...a few months salary for somebody, but worth it to me.

Kiki vouched for the family, but as I posted sin preguntas, I didn't play detective.

Moral of the story....I need to cut down on my carb intake :biggrin:

I agree, late nights on beach in unfamiliar places can be risky..as is carrying too much loot, etc....cuz you don't need your wallet on such a romp.

[Edited on 4-13-2017 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 06:49 PM

i noticed the Calif. flag flying in the pic. Well when you come from one free gun zone to another you should not be surprised when someone who does not understand the importance of abiding by the free zone pulls a gun on you and takes your stuff. In northern Nevada where I live they either hide these kind of crimes from the public or they don't happen because more then likely the guy you try to take the quad from has a bigger gun. Suck it up and cry to all the people at home. Maybe more gringos will be scared and stay up there.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 02:54 AM

I think this forum has had a crazy magnet attached to it..This gobbledy gook spouted by amigobaja is an example.....Hard to take much of anything seriously here anymore...

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 05:42 AM
Thanks For Your Post

I'm sorry about your loss but it is only replaceable stuff, even the cash. You is what matters most to your family and friends.

We 6 old farts are heading to Gonzaga Bay (3 trucks and 3 boats) in about a month to fish for a week. DK was so kind as to post a pic of the hotel we will be staying at on the beach. I'm a road trip guy who enjoys traveling around the local areas looking at the beautiful topography and local history sites and locations. We will definitely be more diligent then usual while roaming around and will go in groups if we do. Since we are in bed fast asleep by 8pm after a dinner of fish we caught that day along with a glass or two of fine Mexican wines we pick up along the way, night time adventures is out of the question for us.

Hope your reward for your quad works and you get it back in one piece.

[Edited on 4-13-2017 by Lobsterman]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 07:56 AM

chickencoopers

"more diligent than usual while roaming around"
keep wallet elsewhere.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 08:03 AM

Most of the dirt bikes ripped off are not parted out.Just sold cheap the local police almost always know the thief. Your reward poster to the police best. Hope you get it back.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 08:36 AM

Data point:

2008, La Perlita, S.F. The guy with the lease got stopped at gun point and threatened. He then hooked his trailer up and burnt his Palapala to the ground. Next morning, told everyone the bad guys did it and he was lucky to live.

He lied through his teeth, its about all you can do.

My friend has never been back and does all he can to bad mouth the place, don't blame him one bit.

As for all the banter within the post.

Remember, people come to Baja for reasons, nuff said there:bounce:

Es Todo Bueno
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 09:54 AM

OK? So.....

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 08:04 PM

To the OP......
Please do not take offense to this, but think about your initial actions; if I was camped on the beach, soothed by the lullaby of waves lapping on the shoreline at 11:00 pm and trying to assuage my nerves from hectic life to Baja dreams and somebody drove by me and the surf on their (of course MUFFLERED) quad at that time of night I might wanna steal the damned thing, drive it into the surf as far out as it would go at low tide and swim back to shore....

I'm not trying to condescend on you, or justify the perp's deeds by robbing you at gunpoint... but too often us Gringos tend to think "Aw, it's Mexico... there are NO rules !". But nay-nay..... there's contemplation and retrospect. Being out by yourself at that hour (Baja Midnight is usually between 7 and 8 pm when people go to bed) and making a target of yourself shows a lack of judgment, especially an area now known for economic downfall and increased crime.

On that note, if stupidity was a crime we'd all spend at least one night in jail, and I'd be in for Life with no possibility of parole. I trusted in a beach camp that I thought would protect me and had my outboard motor stolen almost 10 years ago, and learned valuable lessons from it.

Just sayin', amigo. Again, no harm intended.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 10:24 PM

Bajabudda such a fool.... 7 and 8 to hang it up. and these other idiots chuckie and norte and martyman to rub on DK for his love of BAJA and sharing it. You are the ones that don't understand what BAJA is all about. Its about stories and sharing! Every trip I return from we all say man we got some great stories, and most of the newbies have a bunch of photos. I don't take too many photos anymore. but always enjoy seeing them.
riding a quad down the beach at 11pm... priceless. I might have stayed near my ride as i saw another approaching, for a quick getaway if needed. but now he knows.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2017 at 12:04 AM

Thank you for your input Honda turd.! I have often wondered what Baja is all about...You cleared it right up...

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2017 at 04:35 AM

And NO TV....WAIT! I don't have TV...

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-14-2017 at 05:14 AM

Geez, I camped on the beach for 20 years so I didn't have to sleep in town with all the late night revelry. Did so for PEACE AND QUIET. Didn't know I was 'such a fool'. Sure wish I was as smart as you, Tommy. I guess i'll have to reevaluate my courtesy for fellow campers and be more selfish for those late night romps. After all, the world is all about me, and i'm the only one here, right?

I also respect your bromance with DK and your right to be a card-carrying member of his Fan Club Fraternity.... doesn't mean I have to. Some people like Justin Bieber and the Oakland Raiders too, fine and dandy. Cada loco con su tema.

[Edited on 4-14-2017 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Louie800gs

[*] posted on 4-14-2017 at 07:16 AM

Found this picture in a Facebook post. That's the quad the two robbers were riding when they robbed me.

image.jpeg - 177kB
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.