BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Drugs for Dog
d.s.

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 11:08 AM
Drugs for Dog

I have a great desert/camp dog but he is unable to ride in the truck for any distance (he becomes highly anxious) and must be medicated. He is given Alprazolam 0.5 mg on long drives and Valium, 10 mg on shorter days. I plan to be in Baja next winter for two months.How can I obtain this medication in Baja? See a veterinarian when crossing at Mexicali? Any suggestions of how I can work this out?

The Desert Scruff
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 11:16 AM

You can't, even if it's for you. That schedule of med is EXTREMELY difficult to obtain anywhere in Baja that I know of. All other meds, i.e. blood pressure, Plavix, etc are all OTC, but any kind of la-la med is strictly verboten. I suggest stockpiling enough before you leave... explain to your provider what you're up against. Good luck w/ the pooch.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 11:23 AM

My dog made hundreds of trips down the Baja for about 14 years with no problems. The last four years he displayed the same symptoms as your dog. Luckily he loved brownies. That settled him and I right down.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 11:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by amigobaja  
My dog made hundreds of trips down the Baja for about 14 years with no problems. The last four years he displayed the same symptoms as your dog. Luckily he loved brownies. That settled him and I right down.

I wuz just gonna say....:biggrin:

Careful with the chocolate, however, as too much is toxic for the pooch...try carob for the dog treats....and Belgian dark chocolate for the grown up treats...:light: :cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
brucedog
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 11:46 AM

My pooch has the same issue but not as severe. My vet suggested a cannabinoid treat that is being made in San Francisco called Treatibles www.treatibles.com They definitely calmed him down but not sure if they would work in your case. Hope this helps
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 11:55 AM

My dog loves to travel by car, but if I need to calm her down for other reasons, Benadryl has been useful. It may not be strong enough for your pooch, but since my dog and I have both had allergic reactions to some bug bites, I always travel with some on board!

This was approved by my vet, and I can give my 80 pound hound up to three 25mg tablets (I use gel caps). I would ask your veterinarian about this, or other over the counter meds that you could use.

By the way, veterinary meds that are shipped down from the US could be expensive (US price plus VAT)

Edit; I would stick to carrying something that would not be questioned by any inspectors any where along the way.

[Edited on 4-12-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
d.s.

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 11:56 AM

I tried a hemp chew made in Canada and it did not work for my dog.
d,s,
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 11:58 AM

be aware...any narcotic you have with you must have a prescription authorizing it. Spiced up brownies can get you in trouble as well.
d.s.

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 11:59 AM

I tried Benadryl and it, too, did not work. Two vets have suggested the two medications I'm using.
Thanks to those taking the time to try and help.
d.s.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 12:00 PM

hemp brownies, pink floyd, wake him up when you get there, don't forget plenty of dog treats!
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 12:34 PM

In 2012 we flew to Loreto with our dog. Vet gave a high dose of alprazolam for him, which I didn't give him because I thought it was an overdose. Let's just say I don't fly with him anymore, we drive. Anyhow, I don't see any reason why your vet wouldn't supply them for your dog.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 01:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by d.s.  
I tried Benadryl and it, too, did not work. Two vets have suggested the two medications I'm using.
Thanks to those taking the time to try and help.
d.s.

As long as you have the current prescription bottle with you there shouldn't be a problem coming or going (especially coming back) at the border. Just make sure you don't have more pills in it than the label calls for.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 06:25 PM

if i feel i'm going to be searched for the dog brownies i have been known to eat the evidence. the dogs is on his own
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 06:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by amigobaja  
if i feel i'm going to be searched for the dog brownies i have been known to eat the evidence. the dogs is on his own

Ya, but the dog will get popped for driving you without a license...

Don't believe everything you think....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.