BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: SECONDARY - Riddle me this.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 07:01 AM
SECONDARY - Riddle me this.

I am sent to secondary inspection coming back from Mexico about 20% of the time.

It seems like a lot to me.

I have even been directed back into Baja because my car was too dirty.

I know that no one really knows but any insight might be helpful.

Me, I am a 52 year old white guy with no criminal record other than traffic tickets, maybe a speeding ticket every 10 years or so.

Am I just unlucky or is it actually normal to be pulled aside that often or?

Crossed yesterday and was again sent to secondary.

The funny part is that I am 'clean' as they come as far as drugs. I rarely drink, have never done any drugs, not even Bill Clinton style.

If someone told any of my friends that I did any sort of drugs, they would respond just the same as if you told them you have a pet Bigfoot.

I have had a passport for thirty years and don't travel to countries that might be red flag type. Mainly just Canada and Mexico.

Any thoughts?
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 07:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
I am sent to secondary inspection coming back from Mexico about 20% of the time.

Me, I am a 52 year old white guy with no criminal record other than traffic tickets, maybe a speeding ticket every 10 years or so.

The funny part is that I am 'clean' as they come as far as drugs. I rarely drink, have never done any drugs, not even Bill Clinton style.

If someone told any of my friends that I did any sort of drugs, they would respond just the same as if you told them you have a pet Bigfoot.

I have had a passport for thirty years and don't travel to countries that might be red flag type. Mainly just Canada and Mexico.

Any thoughts?

Lots of reasons -- unfortunately you may never know the reason(s). Profiling is a big one. Luck of the draw is next. I've been to secondary going south but not north -- except when driving my RV -- then expect it every time.

Try another entry crossing if it bothers you. More detail about what happens at secondary would be helpful.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 07:17 AM

There was a time when I got secondary every time I went trough the San Ysidro gate in my simple looking Toyota Celica. Finally, one of the inspectors had the decency to tell me it was because my front license plate was bent back and the scanner couldn't read it. he got down, bent it back by hand, and I never again got a red light.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Enrique2012
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 07:29 AM

I would love to hear more about being turned around and sent back into MX because your car was too dirty. It sounds too ridiculous to believe.

Could you please elaborate?

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 07:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  

Any thoughts?

Only 20% of the time....?

I will gladly trade places with you. We have come across the southern US border 30+ times over the last twenty years and have been sent to secondary EVERY single time!

Doesn't matter if it is Tecate, Otay, or San Ysidro.

I have gotten two fairly consistent answers when I have asked an agent as to why. (That is, when they will answer) -

1. You have an enclosed trailer - (As in, if the guy in the booth can not see what is inside from the booth - somebody has to take a look.)

2. You have been in Mexico a long time. (Usually 4-6 months per trip.)

They have never "found" anything and the secondary inspection has always been very superficial. Usually on our way in under three minutes AFTER an agent comes over to take a look.

Just as an aside -

We have crossed from Canada into the US at least a dozen times and have been just waved through EVERY time. And, we are towing the same enclosed trailer.

Just another fun thing about visiting Mexico.....
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 07:43 AM

R&R, does US Customs have the info on their screen
as to how long you have been in Mex? or did you
respond to a ? from them re: length of trip?

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 07:54 AM

I am convinced that it mostly depends on the type of vehicle that you drive.

In my RV, South Dakota plated,I am sent into secondary 100% of the time.

In my larger (Explorer) SUV I would estimate was sent into secondary 50% of the time. My California license plate is a combat wounded plate.

In my Saturn Vue (Smaller) I would estimate I am sent into secondary less than 25% of the time. My California license plate is combat wounded plate as well.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 08:01 AM

If they can not see into the vehicle, its a no brainer. If there is a flag on your record (ever been sent to secondary before because of something in your vehicle?). or profile.

A number of years ago I was asked why the frequent crossings...explained I was a part time resident and had a house. No problem - he made a note in the record and I have not gone to secondary since.

multiple records come up on the screen but most importantly your car history and your passport/name history.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 08:10 AM

Thanks for the responses. To answer some of the questions....

All my secondary experiences have been simple, they walk the dog around, ask me to open the hood and the back, walk the dog around again. Ask me were I been and were I am going and send me on my way.

I been to secondary at San Luis, Mexicali, and Tecate.

My experience getting kicked out....
Christmas eve with 15 year old daughter we were coming back from central Baja after some rains and since I tend to go to more remote areas the jeep, top and bottom were muddy.

At secondary they said the jeep was to dirty to inspect and they took down the barricades and instructed us to go back into Mexico and clean it if we wanted to come back. Can I call them A-holes?

[Edited on 4-13-2017 by Fatboy]
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 08:14 AM
Can I call them A-holes?

Yes, with a capital A! I would of got his name and sent a letter to their supervisor.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 08:15 AM

Never found anything in my vehicle, the last ten years a jeep Cherokee and I make sure to roll down all the windows before rolling up to the booth.

This trip I had to hiking backpack, a pelican case and a rolling luggage bag so it is not crammed full at all.

At least it is good to here from others that they to have to go to secondary more than their fair share.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 08:22 AM

I have been sent back because of dirt. Border control doesn't want us to bring to much dirt back as there could be Wee Beasties in it, they could affect our crops and such. In the winter with the rains I just stop and give it a good house down or take it to a car wash.

CBC has all kinds of info on your crossing habits, the more you go to secondary the more likely you are to go back. I you spend more than a month south with a camper/RV expect to go to secondary.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 08:25 AM

We've been warned about too dirty when crossing in Tecate but not sent back
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 08:47 AM

I only cross once or twice a year, and in 2015 not at all, but I have never been sent to secondary by the US or Mexico! Even when I was pulling my small utility trailer they have accepted my word that it was just camping gear.

I never thought about being turned around for a dirty rig, but one of the things I look forward to on my way north is getting my car detailed one last time for about the price of going to a coin-op car wash!

I always have my sunglasses off, and wait for their questions rather than trying to give them a trip report. I don't know if it is a factor, but I have a large, overly friendly dog along for the ride.

Edit; A typical trip for me is two months SOB, sometimes longer, and the shortest trip was three weeks.

[Edited on 4-13-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by nbentley1  

I, as well, was told that the excessive dirt (caked on mud from the lagoon behind Shell Island) could get me sent back, but he let me cross that time (a dozen years ago). I now take the time to find a car wash place in Baja... preferably with a power jet, to clean the outside. Just 'normal road dirt' doesn't raise an eyebrow. The reason also was that the mud could conceal bugs.

As for the Secondary thing, I have been pretty lucky as to how few times considering the number of Baja trips I have driven the past 44 years!

Here is my formula for border crossing:
*Remove dark glasses so they can see your eyes. Don't lie.
*Have the passport(s) in your hand, offering them to the officer.
*Roll down all windows so the officer can easily see into the vehicle before getting to the booth.
*Be prepared for telling him how long you were in (or when you entered) Mexico and if you have anything obtained in Mexico or are bringing back anything that may be prohibited (even if from the U.S.).

Prohibited includes:
More than one quart (liter) of alcohol (3 cans of beer) per person [Calif. residents].
Firewood (including U.S. store bought, shrink wrapped bundles).
Pork (opened packages of U.S. pork lunch meat included), Chicken, Eggs, most Fruit.
Plants (with any soil or dirt on the roots).
Birds
+ Anything illegal!

The most ludicrous reason given was a few years ago when the newbie agent didn't know limes were permitted (I declared I had a few limes), and he said since limes are "like oranges" he sent me to Secondary... After waiting 15 min for the Ag inspector to come to the truck, she looked at the note he put on the windshield, said loudly "LIMES?" and sent me on my way, with a laugh! [since then, I don't bring any plant food back across the border, just to avoid the wait in Secondary]

It just isn't worth the time on the last day of a vacation to go through an ordeal going back to your own country. The last trip, at the U.S. border, "seashells or anything off the beach" was mentioned!
I just don't bring anything back anymore.

[Edited on 4-13-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by nbentley1  

Both myself and friends have been turned back for too much dirt in years past. I now have the vehicle washed before the border if needed.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
R&R, does US Customs have the info on their screen
as to how long you have been in Mex? or did you
respond to a ? from them re: length of trip?

US Customs has a lot of information on their screens. And, it is also available to Canadian Customs... (See the second half of this post)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

US Customs always ask how long you have been in Mexico, but, they already know the answer from their screens.

Your plate/vehicle is scanned on the US side going south. (at least at San Ysidro)

One time I answered that I had been in Mexico about six weeks. The US Border agent responded that "it looked more like four months".

Actually, the vehicle HAD been in Mexico for four months.

I had flown back to the US after two months, and then flown back to Mexico about six weeks prior to driving back. That explained my six weeks/four month scenario but he seemed to already know that info, also.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here is something that you may find really interesting about Big Brother -

One year, we left Mexico in late May and headed directly to Alaska. We crossed the southern US border from Mexico at Tecate, switched the cargo trailer for our travel trailer in Nevada, and then headed north towards Alaska.

We crossed the northern US border into Canada nine days after we had crossed the southern US border from Mexico.

Canadian Customs already knew this information!

They asked a few general questions about our travel plans and then switched to some pretty pointed questions about Mexico and our quick transit time through the US.

After about five minutes at the booth, we were sent on our way with a "Welcome to Canada" and "enjoy your visit."

No secondary. Just an Aquatic Invasive Species inspection on the kayak .....

[Edited on 4-13-2017 by RnR]
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 10:08 AM

I think too much mud prevents them from seeing if the vehicle underside has been tampered with. I have been warned but have never went to secondary.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 10:11 AM

I seldom get sent to secondary. My last trip a week ago I came back thru Mexicali West and the border agent didn't ask me anything just looked at my passport and said have a good day.

The times I have been sent to secondary were for a variety of reasons.

Didn't know how many beers I was bringing back, I told them 2 or 3.
Secondary agent said always be specific even if you don't know.

They found two avocados in ice chest. They read me the riot act and a couple of pages of what not to bring back.

A large fire log from the mountains east of Bakersfield. They wanted to know where it was from. How long in Baja. Where I went with it. They suggested I never bring any wood back into the US and I haven't.

The last time I went to secondary was at Tecate. The radiation detector as you enter showed radiation on or in my truck. A lady with what looked like a radar gun went over my truck with a fine tooth comb. She asked me several questions about where I had been etc. Nothing found so away I went.

The most interesting one was when I had my truck stolen and I was bringing it back after it had been found. I had all the paper work and keep both hands on the steering wheel as I approached the booth at Otay. I noticed he keep watching me even as he dealt with the car in front of me. Agent keep his right hand on his gun. Had me pull forward while he closed the gate. Had me drive with him walking me to secondary. Once there I was told to stay in the truck and about 45 minutes later two San Diego cops showed up and about 20 minutes later I was on my way.
soylent_green
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 11:11 AM

SENTRI with muddy truck - never have said a word to me.

I only get sent into secondary when I'm randomly selected, and the officers apologize more or less. 1 out of maybe 50 crossings I'd guess.

If you are getting sent 20% of the time, something seems off. Maybe your name is flagged because someone else with the same name is a gangsta.

[Edited on 4-13-2017 by soylent_green]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.