BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Tell me about the route you would take to ride bikes from the border to Cabo
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 11:09 AM

It's a long way to go on a bicycle. It's about 120 miles from El Barril to San Ignacio. The only active ranch is La ILusion near El Barril at the top and Santa Marta near the bottom but they are 85 miles apart. We did see bicycle tracks and a tent at the abandoned Rancho San Miguel in December but didn't see anyone. I think it would be a tough ride for a bicycle but doable with a chase vehicle. The SquareCircle and I would be available to run chase for anyone wanting to try it on a bicycle, get a group together and let's go.
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 10:17 PM

this quote seems to fit Baja best

"If it were lush and rich, one could understand the pull, but it is fierce and hostile and sullen. The stone mountains pile up to the sky and there is little fresh water. But we know we must go back if we live, and we don't know why." - Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
No, not really! It is a rocky, sandy, rough track along or near the coast from El Barril to Punta Trinidad then goes west in the arroyo and on to mission roads, including El Camino Real south by Santa Marta to Hwy. 1, east of San Ignacio.
This was a motorcycle route until some hardy Nomads got their 4x4s through, too.

Is it worse than the route they use now?
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/17688817

If there was a known easy to find water source in the middle some where it would be doable.

[Edited on 4-21-2017 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 10:36 PM

I think cycling season starts again in November

Montevideo was a little warm in the middle of March. I had 18 liters of water on my bicycle. I drank them in 40 hours. On the way in it was hard work pushing a bicycle through some soft sand for a few miles. I decided to camp between two pointed hills, (so I could find my tent again,) and walk the last couple of miles.

Is this the dos soles art?

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
It's a long way to go on a bicycle. It's about 120 miles from El Barril to San Ignacio. The only active ranch is La ILusion near El Barril at the top and Santa Marta near the bottom but they are 85 miles apart. We did see bicycle tracks and a tent at the abandoned Rancho San Miguel in December but didn't see anyone. I think it would be a tough ride for a bicycle but doable with a chase vehicle. The SquareCircle and I would be available to run chase for anyone wanting to try it on a bicycle, get a group together and let's go.

If I can remember that until November, thank you sir. That tent in your post looks more like it belongs to a Mexican than a Baja Divde rider. So, He is camped back there for a while? Must be water some where?

the fat lady is breeding
which means
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 06:36 AM

My route......

Ride your bike to the airport, buy a first class seat, and enjoy the journey. SALUD

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 10:01 AM

Rancho San Miguil, 25 miles south of R La ILusion and Rancho La Trinidad, about 50 miles south of La ILusion and 35 miles north of R Santa Marta are both abandoned but may have a well or other source of water since they were active ranches at one time. El Gato, 15 miles SW Of R La Trinidad has a well but it is dry. They did put in a large black plastic water tank in the NW corner of the corral. We didn't check to see if it had water in it but since it was not there a couple of years ago I assume it is for the cattle.

I think it would be hard going on a regular mtn bike. I'd suggest one of the fat tire type bikes. I think the tires are about 4 inches in diameter. There was a guy on Nomad (Mike, I think) that road one in the hills northwest of LA Bay near Bahia Guadalupe a couple of years ago.
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 08:14 PM
note to self

I should check this out. (New route ).

Do not drink water out of plastic tanks, unless you are going to die or something. The plastic leaches into the water and ends up blocking neural pathways. Plastic is for cold food and drinks only, the softer the plastic the more this is true.

2.8 or 3 inch tires should be good. 4 or 5 inch tires are for snow. My 2.4 inch tires let me push in the deep sand. 18 liters is about 39 pounds. This extra weight make the bicycle hard to push in soft sand. Maybe a cool December ride would cut the water down to a weight I could carry.

A reliable water source out there would make this a better path, no?

Rancho San Miguil, 25 miles south of R La ILusion and Rancho La Trinidad, about 50 miles south of La ILusion and 35 miles north of R Santa Marta are both abandoned but may have a well or other source of water since they were active ranches at one time. El Gato, 15 miles SW Of R La Trinidad has a well but it is dry. They did put in a large black plastic water tank in the NW corner of the corral. We didn't check to see if it had water in it but since it was not there a couple of years ago I assume it is for the cattle.

I think it would be hard going on a regular mtn bike. I'd suggest one of the fat tire type bikes. I think the tires are about 4 inches in diameter. There was a guy on Nomad (Mike, I think) that road one in the hills northwest of LA Bay near Bahia Guadalupe a couple of years ago.

[Edited on 4-22-2017 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 03:40 PM

If drinking water from a plastic container is bad why do so many people have the black plastic containers for water for their homes? I just assume it's plastic or is it another material?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 04:07 PM

A guy named Mark did a trip with a fat tire bicycle this page shows the bike about half way down.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=70746&pag...
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 10:35 PM

If drinking water from a plastic container is bad why do so many people have the black plastic containers for water for their homes? I just assume it's plastic or is it another material?

The black plastic containers are for showers, dish washing, etc. I noticed that they use stainless steel containers at the rural agua pura places.

Sun light causes the plastic to decompose on a molecular level.

Plastic water bottles are made for 1 time use, keep them out of the sun.
Quote: Originally posted by Mark_BC  

The softer the plastic the worse for your health.
After eating plastic corn for 30 years, this womens husband has some serious brain problems. He thinks in slow motion, not smart.

The sales guy does not care about your health, oh, you knew that.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2017 at 10:57 AM

Here are two companies that have plastic water tanks that you can drink the water from. They use a resin that reduces the effect of UV from the sun.

https://www.ntotank.com/2500gallon-norwesco-black-vertical-w...

http://www.plastic-mart.com/category/9/plastic-water-tanks
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2017 at 11:45 AM

I see lots of Rotoplas plastic tanks for potable water in my area. There are not for sinks and toilets here as everyone in my area has a pila.
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 4-23-2017 at 07:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
I see lots of Rotoplas plastic tanks for potable water in my area. There are not for sinks and toilets here as everyone in my area has a pila.

Pila?

As I said, The sales guy cares about your money only, he dont care about your health.

There are stainless steel tanks and good filters at the community tiendas.
Tienda Diconsa., hard to believe the government made available safe drinking water for 1 peso per liter, not to mention price fixing to make food affordable.

Using a plastic tank for drinking water, and having safe drinking water are not the same thing.

A couple of links for steel water tanks
¨Stainless Steel Tanks are the perferred choice for commercial and residential applications. From the harshest industrial applications to the most secure storage of residential drinking water, Stainless Steel is unsupassed in safety and durability.¨
http://www.nationalstoragetank.com/tanks/stainless-steel.htm...
http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=88

Oh stainless cost double the plastic tank
Plastic = $1 gallon about, 500 gallon tank = $500 more or less
Stainless = $2 a gallon or a little more. 500 gallon tank = over $1,000

[Edited on 4-24-2017 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2017 at 08:11 PM

I wasn't contesting your issue with plastic containers. Only this statement:
The black plastic containers are for showers, dish washing, etc.

For reference, read Snopes, the well known urban legends website where they state: UNDETERMINED: Heating up some types of plastic bottles could increase the leaching of harmful phthalates into the fluids they contain. See: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/plasticbottles.asp

Snopes also states: Nasty chemicals can be and sometimes are found in plastic items, and heat tends to allow them to break free. It therefore makes sense to eschew letting any plastic not clearly identified as “microwave safe” or “microwaveable” touch food you’re going to heat. If you cover a dish you intend to microwave with ordinary plastic wrap, do not let the covering touch the food, because some of the plasticizer in the wrap — which may contain toxic chemicals, as opposed to does contain toxic chemicals — could migrate to what you’re cooking, especially foods high in fat.
But that is in regards to heating food in a microwave. That's an extreme condition vs warmth of the sun.

Happy to see other references on the issue, pro or con. I've head this issue raised several times. Wouldn't mind knowing if there is any science behind it.

[Edited on 4-24-2017 by TedZark]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 09:48 AM

It is a really beautiful beach area. At the very north end is a small fish camp. I don't know how active it is. About midway is a sort of rock section and that is where I usually stay. From there you you can follow the road to a Y, go left and follow it to an abandoned ranch with an old windmill. Follow the road east. If memory serves me you take the left road at the three Ys you will come to. If you go too far there is a working ranch called Las Palomas. You want to go to the south or the right side as you get to it.

This sounds a little complicated but it's because there are several roads in the area and they probably all come together I don't know. Anyway once you start up the mountain out of the arroyo it is or was a good road to Hwy 1 at KM252. There is a jct and the right fork goes to Hwy 1 at KM 270. SCORE has used this leg for the Baja 1000 course. At the Jct you will see a white house to your left setting up the side of the mountain. There are a couple of abandoned ranches along the way.

In the section from the windmill to Rancho Las Palomas there are lots of silt beds, pick your line carefully.

If you want I can trace the route on Google Earth with way points or I can convert it to a GPX file for your GPS.

In the map below F is the fishing spot. The first Y is just after you turn inland not shown on map.

Hi Tom, I drove down the road yesterday using the shortcut south of El Crucero to go west. The grade down the mountain was seriously eroded, boulder blocking part of it and a broken Ford Ranger near the bottom... I met the owner and his wife who run the only ranch down there, except they said it was Rancho 'Mystery' (in Spanish). They were out of food and heart meds. They had not seen another vehicle in 4 months. The ranch owner has not been seen to check on them in ages. Leo and Lorena are their names and last night, instead of camping at Bahia Blanco or ?, I took them to Santa Rosalillita and then to Punta Prieta, as the only people they knew were not home in S. R.
I have the mileages and stuff. There were two cattle control gates west of their ranch, which was down to the north of the San Antonio route. They blocked the west bound road with a sign pleading for food and help so anyone on that road from Hwy 1 would go to the ranch. Of interest, it had a pool and hot tub! All solar. But, no communications for help, just the Ranger, broken while trying to get out for supplies, 6 months ago!

Edit: The ranch was in the valley where Arroyo El Sauz meets the arroyo the road follows from San Antonio. Where you have Las Palomas is the lower part of that monster grade, where Leo's Ranger was broken down.

[Edited on 4-24-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 12:59 PM

Good work David. I bet they were happy to see you.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 01:11 PM

Oh my, yes!!! When we arrived at Santa Rosalillita, the people they knew were gone... So, I taxi'd them to Punta Prieta, where, at 11 pm, they found friends and I found gasoline, to get me to Baja Cactus! A flat tire and a couple re-repairs in the dark, moonless night really challenged my energy!
At 4 am, I had a wonderful, hot shower and the most comfortable bed and pillow in Baja!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 01:45 PM

The map shown above is not correct. I mislabeled it. 7 is not where R. Las Palomas is but where the new road up the mountain was made several years ago. R. Las Palomas is about half way between 6 and 7. The new road is north of the old road but they both could be in bad shape from the rains. There was an abandoned ranch at the bottom of the mountain on the south side. Maybe that is where the people you found were living. R. Las Palomas would be further west on the north side.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 02:19 PM

Hi Tom, no, they were half way between the grade and the road junction (#6). In the valley where A. El Sauz comes in fron the north. At the bottom of the grade, I saw a water trough at an apparent anandoned ranch.
Their ranch was nice, had swimming pool and hot tub, windmill, antenna (but no radio), and must be what was Las Palomas, as there is nothing else in that area. Otherwise, Leo and Lorena would not be so desperate. The new name is Rancho Misteria (mystery). The owner has a taxi business and has not checked in on them in ages. When Leo's distributor failed, he abandoned his Ranger on the lower part of the huge grade heading up the mountain. They have been hoping for help to come by ever since, I gathered.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 05:46 PM

OK, that sure sounds like R. Las Palomas from when I was there a few years ago. Wow good thing you came by and helped them. If they are going to live out there they need a way to communicate with someone.
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 06:24 PM

Jeez DK your back again so soon, why don't you buy a casita on the beach and i'll rent it from you

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.