BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Tell me about the route you would take to ride bikes from the border to Cabo
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 06:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  
Jeez DK your back again so soon, why don't you buy a casita on the beach and i'll rent it from you

Funny!
I am asked if I have a home in Baja, often! My answer is, if I did, then I would keep going to it as it would become a 'project' and my freedom to explore new places or revisit old ones would mostly end.

PS Let me start my trip report when I get home so this thread about plastic and aluminum can get back on track (lol).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 06:44 PM

Peace amigo

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 07:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

PS Let me start my trip report when I get home so this thread about plastic and aluminum can get back on track (lol).

Stainless steal

high grade stainless steal makes a good water container.

Titanium is the best, but who could pay that much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxo9pC9HuRs&index=5&...

Did you say 4 months without a car

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 07:28 PM
Tell me about the route you would take to ride bikes from the border to Cabo

I will tell you about the route I want to take my bicycle on after I figure out where my water is comming from.

The no whip trail sounds better than the sand road south out of El Arco.
If
I
say
IF
someone tells me the precise location of some drinkable water.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 07:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  
I will tell you about the route I want to take my bicycle on after I figure out where my water is comming from.

The no whip trail sounds better than the sand road south out of El Arco.
If
I
say
IF
someone tells me the precise location of some drinkable water.

The area is totally rideable by bike. But you need to first do a trip by truck to visit local ranches and identify water sources, then string together a route via identified reliable water sources. Most every ranch you find on google sat photos or old maps has or had water,... but some ranches have been abandoned, some water sources have run dry, some water sources are only seasonal, etc.

If you inquire with individual ranchers, you would probably find they would tell you about other local water sources.

I think you should ride across the sierra San Francisco, via the town at top of range,... ride up one valley, down another. Most of the deep canyons got springs. Plenty of stock trails in the valley floors. Officially, you need a guide, but if you befriend the locals, share your wacky plan, you'll find a way past the guide requirement.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 07:44 PM

If you are going to ride a bicycle from the border to Cabo without a chase vehicle why not drive down and place containers with food and water at various locations like Mike Younghusband did when he walked it. Otherwise you need to stick with the paved hwy.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 07:46 PM

And... those containers need to be coyote proof!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Stainless steal

high grade stainless steal makes a good water container.

Titanium is the best, but who could pay that much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxo9pC9HuRs&index=5&...

Did you say 4 months without a car

Glass and ceramic are pretty good for water storage.
Plastic storage is probably OK if you filter it with carbon.
If you can taste the plastic, you are certainly investing the unstudied chemicals that make up plastic. Even if you can't taste the plastic, you are being exposed - unless filtered.
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I think you should ride across the sierra San Francisco, via the town at top of range,... ride up one valley, down another. Most of the deep canyons got springs. Plenty of stock trails in the valley floors. Officially, you need a guide, but if you befriend the locals, share your wacky plan, you'll find a way past the guide requirement.

When I go home next week I will try to figure out what you are talking about from maps. From memory there is no route on my map to go that way.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 08:42 PM

When I go home next week I will try to figure out what you are talking about from maps. From memory there is no route on my map to go that way.

Your maps won't help. There are no roads. The area has only trails. Visit sierra de San Francisco town and ask around.

[Edited on 4-25-2017 by mtgoat666]
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 08:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If you are going to ride a bicycle from the border to Cabo without a chase vehicle why not drive down and place containers with food and water at various locations like Mike Younghusband did when he walked it. Otherwise you need to stick with the paved hwy.

Have to say no and no, thanks for worrying though.

The current bicycle mentality is self supported
We had a baja divide bicycle route thread over the winter. People younger and stronger than me are are better with computers as well.
https://bajadivide.com/
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=84947

I rode part of that route and used Volaris to return. I had to mail my bike case to Oregon, then find it about 3 miles from the La Paz airport, thanks very much.

Then I went looking for pintura rupestre. See above photo showing 102*
I rode north on mx1 to get home.

not fun

You do not see all these crosses from your truck.

The last 15 miles up to Ensenada after dark were more dangerous than I can type about. Death by no water sounds better than death under the wheels of a bus. I had about $150 worth of lights and 3m reflective tape. Maybe that bought me the 3 inch difference betwen life and death.

This is more safe and relaxing

[Edited on 4-25-2017 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 08:51 PM

Your maps won't help. There are no roads. The area has only trails. Visit sierra de San Francisco town and ask around.

[Edited on 4-25-2017 by mtgoat666]

OH

I can carry 2 days of water on bike if it is not to hot. Is that enough for the map will not help area?

the fat lady is breeding
which means
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 08:56 PM

Glass and ceramic are pretty good for water storage.
Plastic storage is probably OK if you filter it with carbon.
If you can taste the plastic, you are certainly investing the unstudied chemicals that make up plastic. Even if you can't taste the plastic, you are being exposed - unless filtered.

Glass is the best, no leaching what so ever. Broken glass is dangerous though.
Ceramic, I have no info on that.

What is the latest and greatest filter?
https://www.msrgear.com/water/guardian-purifier

the fat lady is breeding
which means
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.