Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gonzaga Bay Fishing Questions
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2017 at 06:55 AM
Gonzaga Bay Fishing Questions

This will be my 1st time fishing Gonzaga Bay. We are staying at Alphonsina's Hotel. While researching the internet for anything to do with fishing this area I came upon this old map. I think I have the old book it came from some where in my garage when I fished Baja back in the 80's.

I'm pretty much a bottom fisherman to 400' of water. The map shows Punta Final at 340' close to shore. I suspect a steep drop off with resident fish just waiting for a whole squid. I'm bringing 15 lbs of frozen squid on dry ice in 3 lb blocks. The leftovers on each day I hope I can give to the hotel's restaurant for them to fry up some calamari for pupus.

I also see a depth of 1,328' close to Isla Willard. Is that true?

My plan on my buddy's boat is to bring my Lowance 337c fishfinder with map of area and transom attachable transducer to map the area with WPs of where I caught fish or got a bite. Start building a WP database for future trips. Anyone who sends me a WP of this area on U2U will get my trip's WP database in return.

Getting excited for my May 21st trip, fishing 4-5 full days weather permitting.

The 6 of us have three aluminum boats of 18' so we plan on launching in front of our hotel and fishing about 10 miles or so of the hotel. We have trailer extensions or front trailer wheel for beach launching. What I like about the area is I can deep-water fish while the others can troll and throw lures while we are close together.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-16-2017 at 07:32 AM

Enjoy Gonzaga, it was my family's first Baja destination by Jeep for the fishing, back in '65 and it infected me with Baja Fever!

The map may help but it is many years old. The bay north of Alfonsina's is the true Bahía San Luis Gonzaga (not Willard, an error made by on old H.O. charts and repeated). The bay south of Alfonsina's to Punta Final is actually Ensenada de San Francisquito. But, you can't blame anyone for calling it Gonzaga too! LOL.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-16-2017 at 07:37 AM

I would recommend using the boat ramp at papa fernandez. Seen a lot of problems launching at alfonsinas. Good luck. Hope the winds aren't too bad.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2017 at 07:46 AM

I think you`re looking at the elevation of the island, not depth.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2017 at 09:23 AM

My bubble has popped. However, thanks for the correction now instead of finding it out there. In hindsight it makes sense. If I read the map more closely, I would have noticed at the bottom of the map that the depths are in fathoms and elevations are in feet.

Also thanks for the preferred launching site.

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
I think you`re looking at the elevation of the island, not depth.

[Edited on 4-16-2017 by Lobsterman]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-16-2017 at 09:57 AM

Dunkin squid in deep water, wherever, is always a hoot. I ran a boat out of Fort Bragg for a few years, loved doing that...And in Baja of course...HAVE FUN

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 11:30 PM

Wishing you a great time! Second the notion to launch at Papa Fernandez. Check out Captain Juan Cook's posts on Facebook maybe as to grouper/cabrilla in the area and there are a few locals that he knows. As you know, watch the winds. Onshore not fun but you have some warning...offshore...not so fun.

Squid. Small hooks. Triggers. Ceviche every night!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 06:11 AM

Sailflow.com the night before your trip. Figure out which days might get windy and proceed accordingly. It'll prolly be perfect weather at that time. Post some pics and a report when you get back. We head south the 26th.

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 06:44 AM
Can You Make Bait in GB?

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  

Squid. Small hooks. Triggers. Ceviche every night!

After over 60 years of fishing, this method of fishing is my favorite mainly because you almost always catch dinner. I am also bringing a 60# rig for the bigger battles that I might experience down there. The more I hear from you guys about this new area of baja for me, the more excited I get. Only a month to go.

Another question: Can you make bait in or around GB?

My secret Hawaiian fish attractant gets any fish in the area wanting more. I usually catch all the macs I need for a day of fishing in my mooring in San Diego while I'm prepping my boat!

Hawaiian Chum
(1) one or two cans of macs (or tuna fish) packed in oil preferred. Pour out and save liquid. Place macs in a bowl. I save the liquid to soak my squid in.

(2) add 1/4 cup veg oil to bowl with macs. Squish together. If still watery add more oil.

(3) add flour a few tbs at a time until you can make a ball that you can throw 20'. I also add a little oatmeal when targeting smelt for bait.

(4) make up a 2-3 hook ganglion with small hooks with a 1 oz chrome cast master for weight. Put a small piece of squid on each hook. I use #8 for small macs so it is easy to bait the hooks and remove the fish. Toss a few spoonfuls of chum around the target area. No fish in a few minutes move on until you find where they are hanging.

I plan on bringing both cans of macs and tuna for chum. You can always make mac or tuna fish sandwiches out of any unused cans.

I just got word that the hotel does not allow outdoor cooking on site (darn). This is after I just bought the 14" Weber Smokey Mountain just for this trip to smoke up anything that walks, crawls or swims in the ocean. So I guess I'll bring down my own meats (steaks) for them to cook up in their restaurant as well as pork and brisket that I will smoke up at home for the restaurant to heat up.

Pulled pork or brisket sandwiches anyone?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 07:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lobsterman  

I just got word that the hotel does not allow outdoor cooking on site (darn). This is after I just bought the 14" Weber Smokey Mountain just for this trip to smoke up anything that walks, crawls or swims in the ocean. So I guess I'll bring down my own meats (steaks) for them to cook up in their restaurant as well as pork and brisket that I will smoke up at home for the restaurant to heat up.

Why not ask the restaurant cook up the fish you catch?

Seems a bit silly to bring your own leftovers for restaurant to reheat for you.
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2017 at 04:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Lobsterman  

So I guess I'll bring down my own meats (steaks) for them to cook up in their restaurant as well as pork and brisket that I will smoke up at home for the restaurant to heat up.

Why not ask the restaurant cook up the fish you catch?

Seems a bit silly to bring your own leftovers for restaurant to reheat for you.

Oh silly goat. You need to concentrate more on what other people say instead of what you want them to say.

We plan on eating at the restaurant EVERY day, just like last year in BOLA. I just plan on bringing my own meats this time to go along with the fish we catch for the restaurant to cook up for us. I just do not eat fish every day with every meal. Don't forget I go fishing 30 plus times a year or more in my boat in SD. Eating fish on this trip is not a priority but fishing an unknown part of Baja waters is. So Goat to be on point, "where do you catch live bait in and around GB?"

I'm sure the restaurant will not turn down the additional prime steaks I'll bring down or 20 hr smoked pork shoulder and brisket I'll bring for them. They can either bring these meats home to their families or sell it in their restaurant. These meats go well in machaca for breakfast and along with many other delicious Mexican lunch and dinner plates like carnitas. Don't forget the leftover squid for calamari pupus.

As you know one of my passions in life is cooking for other people whether its at old foggy homes or at large parties on job sites or at home. It's just in my DNA. You just can not smoke a few pounds of either of these meats. Since I do not freeze leftovers of meat or fish, I always give the rest away. I do not plan on bringing any fish home from GB as well. I'll catch and release those fish that I can with the rest for dinner or to others including the restaurant.

Thanks for your typical reply. I feel blessed knowing you care what I have to say. BTW have you ever been to Baja? I can not seem to find any of your past posts on your previous Baja adventures just negativity on anything others post.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.