Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Isla Coronado
Bajavan

[*] posted on 4-17-2017 at 07:51 AM
Isla Coronado

I want to take a panga ride to Isla Coronado in Loreto when we are in BCS next week and had a couple questions.

Are Pangas readily avaiable in the marian morning-mid morning? Any recommendations for a particular panga operator?

Dogs allowed on the island? We will have our dog with us so wanted to see if we could bring him.

Secure parking available in the marina?

Thanks all!
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 4-17-2017 at 08:48 AM

Pangas are always available, no reservations are needed.

I am 99.375% sure dogs are not allowed

Parking has not been a problem in the Marina parking lot.

Bring whatever you would like to drink and eat as the panga captain will have nothing and nothing available on the island. If you have something for shelter such as an umbrella or Easy Up bring that along with lot of sun block and towels. Ask the captain if he has snorkeling gear and ask to look at it before you go to make sure that he has enough compete sets for all of your party.
Enjoy!

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Bajavan

[*] posted on 4-17-2017 at 09:12 AM

Thanks Howard. I figured about the dogs since its a national park. We will have to figure something out with our dog then.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2017 at 09:42 AM

We went to Coronado Island about 20+ years ago for five days in March - obviously this is very dated info.

We "chartered" two pangas to take us and our stuff to the island. The owner of the panga company said we could keep our trucks in his yard while we were over there. We took our food, one sealed ice chest dedicated to ice, cerveza, and firewood - there is no firewood available over there. To save space on firewood, we took a 40-pound bag of lump mesquite charcoal which would double as cooking and campfire (the charcoal was hecho en Mexico).

Every morning while brushing my teeth in the ocean, I was greeting by the same curious puffer fish - he would repeatedly bump up against my ankles in what appeared to be a friendly hello. You'll also see lots of other fish, plus seals on the rocky parts of the island

On the day we were supposed to be picked up, it was super windy with lots of whitecaps. Our pangas weren't showing ... weren't showing ... we *assumed* we didn't see them due to the high winds.

The pangas arrived the next morning to pick us up, just in time to avert a beer crisis. As we had guessed, it was too windy on the scheduled pick-up day to make the trip the island.

What we learned from this - you have to make 100% of your fun over there. We fished and snorkeled and hiked - life was HYPER relaxed. The island was an awesome experience and I'm glad I didn't pass it by. That said, I didn't leave anything over there, so probably don't need to go back.

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 4-17-2017 at 09:50 AM

Bajavan, I just sent you a "U2U"

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2017 at 06:41 PM

Been to Coronado via boat a bunch in the last two years.

It's Mexico, take the dog. I wouldn't think twice about it.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2017 at 08:11 PM

No dogs allowed on the islands in the national park. Cruisers may get away with it, tourists hiring a boat, no. Lots of choices as far as pangas. Head to the marina, there a co-op or you may be approached by an independent. Tour companies, too. Sea and Land Loreto is good. Check with whomever you pick, lunch, water, snacks may or may not be included, anything from rolled burritos to fresh fish tacos. Plan to take your own sofas and beer. you will need a park pass for each person which can be gotten at the marina or your captain can get them for you.

[Edited on 4-18-2017 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Bajavan

[*] posted on 4-17-2017 at 10:56 PM

Thanks all for the help. Woof woof will be ok!
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2017 at 06:43 AM

For sure no dogs on the island. A few years ago, we were written up for this infraction, took 6 months to untangle the issue. We started using the island in 1988, before the Marine Park. Was ok then, but times have changed.

Enjoy the island, always a beautiful place to be.......
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2017 at 07:04 AM

The time I went to Isla Coronado, I took my blow-up kayak and camped. My taxi driver took me around the neighborhood to pangueros he knew - I'd ask their price (more than I expected, so I asked a few) - and found one who would take me over, and then pick me up 3 days later. But since the ride to the island was glassy smooth, I figured I would just paddle to the coast which is about 1 mile and then paddle close to shore back to town, so I told the panguero not to pick me up! Big wind came up on departure day, 2 ft. swells, whitecaps. Definitely too dangerous to paddle to shore. So now I'm stuck there and needed a ride. I saw an occasional panga passing by in the distance, waggled my kayak paddle in the universal distress signal. Nobody saw me or understood I needed assistance. Finally one came by closer, saw me, and I shouted to him, asking if he would take me to the coast (I could camp on the beach and then paddle along shore back to the marina - that was the plan). He had paying fishing clients on board, so he said he'd be back in a couple hours. He did just that, loaded me and all my stuff in his boat, but took me back to the marina. BTW, there are signs on the island that it is a nature preserve. Respect that - Leave no trace, get the permit, no dog.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2017 at 12:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by billklaser  
For sure no dogs on the island. A few years ago, we were written up for this infraction, took 6 months to untangle the issue. We started using the island in 1988, before the Marine Park. Was ok then, but times have changed.

Enjoy the island, always a beautiful place to be.......

Months? Nothing $40 won't solve immediately.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2017 at 12:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
The time I went to Isla Coronado, I took my blow-up kayak and camped. My taxi driver took me around the neighborhood to pangueros he knew - I'd ask their price (more than I expected, so I asked a few) - and found one who would take me over, and then pick me up 3 days later. But since the ride to the island was glassy smooth, I figured I would just paddle to the coast which is about 1 mile and then paddle close to shore back to town, so I told the panguero not to pick me up! Big wind came up on departure day, 2 ft. swells, whitecaps. Definitely too dangerous to paddle to shore. So now I'm stuck there and needed a ride. I saw an occasional panga passing by in the distance, waggled my kayak paddle in the universal distress signal. Nobody saw me or understood I needed assistance. Finally one came by closer, saw me, and I shouted to him, asking if he would take me to the coast (I could camp on the beach and then paddle along shore back to the marina - that was the plan). He had paying fishing clients on board, so he said he'd be back in a couple hours. He did just that, loaded me and all my stuff in his boat, but took me back to the marina. BTW, there are signs on the island that it is a nature preserve. Respect that - Leave no trace, get the permit, no dog.

I never go out on the water without a vhf.

One on the boat, one in the ditch bag, one to take in the dinghy or kayak.

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 10:24 AM

Are the same Park regulations enforced on the beach in Ligui park area regarding dogs? That's been a favorite spot for my Lab and I for years. Thanks. Tio
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 10:37 AM

Here you go , Francisco Davis "El Paquero" owns the red panga by that name. Just call him and tell him what you want . Ceviche , pop up ,soda etc....he can put it together for you . Been using FRancisco for 15 years .He captians our boat and has his own center console and panga .

Hes the best and has a reputation of reliability.

his number is :011 52 613 135 1558 or
011 52 1 613 113 7037 Cell

Tell him Michael (Miguelon as he calls me) in Oregon said to call him
Tucsonduner

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 07:30 AM

A second vote for Francisco Davis. He is honest and knows the area very well. We have been fishing with him and he is one of the best.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
Are the same Park regulations enforced on the beach in Ligui park area regarding dogs? That's been a favorite spot for my Lab and I for years. Thanks. Tio

Restrictions are for animals on the islands of the marine park, not the beaches that are on the Baja peninsula itself.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
jaymtb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 06:22 PM

Hi,
It is worth noting that a park pass is required on Marine Park islands. They are available at park office on pier as annual Passport to all Mexico protected areas, or as multiple daily bracelets on sale at Coop window on pier. Now, in Loreto, you need to take a form from park office to bank, then back to office to get annual pass.
Same system/ same pass in La Paz islas, B of La, and over in Shari's area.

We hope enough of this $ stays in area to help protect resources.

Regs say no perros on islas.

[Edited on 4-22-2017 by jaymtb]
Bajavan

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 12:49 PM

Had a great time last week! Water was warm enough maybe 78!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 12:19 AM

Great pic! Where's the dog?

[Edited on 5-7-2017 by JZ]
Bajavan

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Great pic! Where's the dog?

[Edited on 5-7-2017 by JZ]

He hung out with a local gal I got hooked up with that runs a rescue group in Loreto. All worked out.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.