Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Dog paperwork entering Mexico
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 04:30 PM
Dog paperwork entering Mexico

Hola Amigos! A friend sent me an excerpt from an article in a Vagabundos del Mar newsletter. It stated that Mexican border agents are now requesting to see the form 'U.S. Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals.' This is when going into Mexico via the San Ysidro-Tijuana crossing. I wouldn't mind this so much if it weren't for the fact that the form says it is only valid for 30 days. I cross with my dog once a month, and most vets won't give you the certificate without an examination. Does anyone have any recent experience of this happening when crossing, and if so, how up-to-date does the certificate really need to be? Thanks much!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 04:52 PM

Certificate reads 30 days so that's the number. If I were crossing once a month, I would ignore the 30 day expiration. My understanding has been a Vet needs to see the animal in order to issue the Certificate.

The Certificate for my dog has always been past the 30 day rule.

I've never been asked for paperwork though there's always a first time. Since you're crossing monthly, you'll soon find out what they're doing. On the other hand, since the article from Vags addresses San Ysidro, I'd be crossing at Tecate or Otay.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 04:56 PM

I've never been asked for the paperwork either although I've always had it :-). Last time, the border agent asked what was in the back of our truck and I said a dog. She had me roll the window down and she peeked inside. No questions, etc.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 05:37 PM

I have never been asked by Mex border agents, or highway inspection stations for my dog's papers, but I have them just in case! An exam is required before your veterinarian will issue the certificate, and shot records are more important than the certificate.

In December, I was asked by the US for the shot records (a first for me) but he did not ask for the health certificate.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 05:39 PM
PAPERS

We cross at TECATE a couple times a month. We are Permeate Residents. In the last 6 mos we have been asked for papers twice as we live most of the time in Baja our papers are from MEXICO they appear to be satisfied with those. But who knows it may all change next time as this Essss Mexico.:?::?:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 05:42 PM

I recommend you go to any vet in Mexico and they will give you papers for $10 or so. As far as I understand, the issue is to make sure they have had a rabies shot. At any rate, this is what we did for Rex.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 06:55 PM

You should check out the post on talkbaja regarding this.

It states that agents are also checking for meat, vegetables. If you have any of these items either cooked, canned, fresh or frozen, you can give them to the SENASICA agent or take them back to the US.

sbwontoo
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 07:22 PM
This is Progress ?

In BETTER bygone days, one could take "whatever" across the border for the price of a small "Bite".

Corruption worked well for ALL concerned.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 07:38 PM

well that was helpful
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 07:41 PM

They may be making an effort to enforce it, but consistency will always be an issue. I crossed south at Mexicali East in January and the customs officer looked in the cab of the truck, asked if it was just the wife and dog (yes), looked in the canopy and sent me on my way. I parked and we walked into INM for the FMT and there was a very large sign stating the requirement to have a health certificate for dogs.
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 10:18 PM

Not something I'd recommend, but my vet wanted 240.00 to do the 10 day cert, I said f... it and took my 140# Chesapeake down thru Mexicali to BOLA last month with just his shot records.
No one even asked me about it going in or coming back.

billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 07:07 AM

Always take my dog. last crossed at SY about a month ago. Haven't had a health cert for years, however always carry dogs file with record of all rabie shots. My dog is a Black Doberman, seems to always be a topic of conversation at the border and military stops.

Never been asked for a Health Cert, however there is always a first time.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 08:13 AM
Law Enforcement in Mexico is ..................

..............Erratic.

!n 35 years of taking my different dogs South, I have NEVER been asked by Mexican authorities for ANY paperwork in HUNDREDS of trips.

In the early years, I would always get Health Certificates for the two at that time.

Coming North, I was once asked by U.S. Customs about their shot records and I handed the agent the Health Certificates.

His response.............. "WHAT are these ?"

BUT, it's always possible to meet someone in Mexico who decides to enforce the law.

And, unlike the good old days, it's not an overture to a "Bite".
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 08:13 AM

BeemerDan, I would tell your 'former' vet "F-U"! I just called my vet in Northern CA to schedule an exam for my 85 pound mutt so I can fly back to AK.

The exam is $49, and the certificate is $22. My AK to CA flight papers last October cost about $60! I asked if there is any difference for papers good for entering Mexico, and they said no.

It is a good thing my dog loves going to the vet, because I have to do this at least twice a year!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 08:18 AM

I know I am going to get hell for this, but this is what I do:

I go online and fill in the Aphis 7001 https://www.aphis.usda.gov/library/forms/pdf/APHIS7001.pdf
form, fill it out, print and sign it. Our vet did it for us back in 2012 and I just copy the info and update what is current. the printed form looks very official. None of the information is untrue except that is was more than 10 days since his last visit. I was tired of paying lots of $$ for the thing. The only time I have ever been asked for it was in 2012 when we flew into Loreto with our dog, never when driving. You will not need it for re-entry into the USA, but you do need current vacs/rabies - just ask your vet for a current vaccination record AND a copy of current signed rabies certificate. Oh, btw Google Chrome works best for Aphis PDF form.
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 09:27 AM

Thanks to all who responded. I do have a health certificate, it's just that it's more than 30 days old (6 Months). It does state that he is current on his rabies and other vaccinations, including for now and in the future. I'm going to go with that for the time being and I will let you know how it goes. I will consider getting a certificate from a Mexican vet that is good for more than 30 days, as some of you suggested. Thanks again.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 10:13 AM
DIY Documentation

During the 30+ years that I maintained a residence and "imported" a HUGE variety of goods for said residence, I created a multitude of forms and invoices to satisfy the Mexican authorities and pay reasonable fees. Unlike many of my neighbors, I went to great lengths to create authentic-appearing documents, including buying standard forms from various office supplies and creating templates in MS Publisher to give the appearance of valid forms. The effort never let me down and saved (at least) hundreds of dollars over the years.

That said, some neighbors who "scribbled" invoices on a scrap of paper were fairly successful, too, except when they placed ridiculous "low-ball" figures on said scribbling.

I was never tempted to do so with an official form involving my dogs, though. Fearful that the irritation occasioned "might" endanger them. Better to simply NOT have a document and deal with being turned around or WHATEVER.

Said irritation once involved a friend and a Honda Generator. The border official was SO irritated that they seized his truck and EVERYTHING in it.

He eventually (weeks later) got the truck (and personal stuff) back after paying his fine, but they kept the Generator.

Wouldn't want them to KEEP my Dogs.
soylent_green
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 10:19 AM

so in conclusion,
beyond the vagabundos del mar article and a random Facebook account, no one has had any issues with their pets.

Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 08:51 AM

Hola Nomads; I said I would report back in after my next trip South. I entered Mexico at San Ysidro this past Friday and did not get stopped at all. Nor was I asked any questions about my dog upon returning. I do recognize that this could change in the future, so I'm going to take the recommendation of some here and get the International Health Certificate from a Mexican vet, which is good for more than 30 days. The '30 day' limitation is the only thing I have a problem with; I have proof he is current on his vaccinations. I've noticed that veterinary care, like so many things, is more reasonable and affordable there. Thanks again to all who responded.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 09:17 AM

I met a German tourist in La Paz last winter, that was traveling with his dog. He had a canine passport equivalent, complete with a photo, micro chip number, and shot record with pages for future entries.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.