Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Advice on motorcyle bumper hitch rack
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 05:58 PM
Advice on motorcyle bumper hitch rack

looking for some reports on how well they work,,,, Any of You Nomads haul your Motorcycle around on your back bumper hitch how about some opinions that concern this topic going to do some camping and riding the WR 450

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 06:49 PM

thanks for the reply Guy,, these days Its hard to trust Chinese made thanks for the discounted price but in Az headed north 1st, thinkin about modifying sum sort of mirror on my camper so I can keep an eye on it for a little more peace of mind

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 06:59 PM

No experience with a bumper hitch, but I've had several carriers for a regular hitch.

Just bought this one: https://youtu.be/nm8mnmyQFPI
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 07:12 PM

I think you guys are talking about the same thing, right?

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 07:13 PM

:yes:
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 07:24 PM

Yeah saw that 1 JZ I only need a 1 bike rack but that lks like a nice one I'm thinkin maybe I can attach extra straps to my camper jacks from the rack to make it more secure and less bounce ??? what u guys think

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 07:29 PM

I thought about adding extensions on the 4runner frame rails to reduce the side to side....instead I just retired the WR :(
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 07:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  
Yeah saw that 1 JZ I only need a 1 bike rack but that lks like a nice one I'm thinkin maybe I can attach extra straps to my camper jacks from the rack to make it more secure and less bounce ??? what u guys think

From experience I wouldn't go lowest cost. I just had one bust on me.

That one is cheap for what I think it is.

With my 3/4 ton I don't feel any sway. I've used an anti sway bracket before, but honestly I didn't notice any difference.

[Edited on 4-20-2017 by JZ]
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 07:38 PM

Check this one out for a single...steel, not aluminum. They make a single aluminum also for a few more bucks.

http://www.discountramps.com/black-widow-motorcycle-carrier/...

Way cheaper than the Joe Hauler models....

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 07:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

Check this one out for a single...steel, not aluminum. They make a single aluminum also for a few more bucks.

http://www.discountramps.com/black-widow-motorcycle-carrier/...

Way cheaper than the Joe Hauler models....

Looks like a really good one.

Also, be sure to get the straps from these guys instead of home depot or wherever. They use loops to connect onto the bike, instead of the metal hook directly.
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 08:05 PM

Thanks Pacifico lots of grt reviews for 100 bones I think I would try that one forsure

Thanks JZ for the strap info and be sure to let us know how your doubles work on ur Cabo trip

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 08:23 PM

well so after reading the specs closer it is not recommended for a hitch with an extension so I will have to do some measuring because my camper extends a bit past my hitch, i guess I could get a custom length hitch it will be so close with the hitch I already have maybe 15 inches,, well see

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 10:13 PM

Those single trailer hitch racks wiggle even when strapped from either end....a double hitch setup is superior and seems to require a bit of custom welding....much more stable if you want to use it regularly or on rougher roads.

Don't believe everything you think....
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 04:08 PM

Contact Joe Hauler north county San Diego. He has been making great racks for years. Not the cheapest, but the best. He can also do custom work to make more stable with your camper.
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 04:11 PM

Contact Joe Hauler north county San Diego. He has been making great racks for years. Not the cheapest, but the best. He can also do custom work to make more stable with your camper.
http://www.joehauler.com/
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 05:53 PM

Thanks for the info Ray

WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2017 at 12:22 AM

Sorry everyone, a lot late to the party, but for anyone still interested I have used hitch carriers for my motorcycles for years and highly recommend using a secondary receiver. I have tried tow straps, special clamps that attach right at the receiver/hitch connection to stiffen the rack up, and even racks with built in wedges to tighten the rack inside the hitch. All of them wobble and I've even had an eyelet break because of the forces accentuated by the wobble and almost lost my bike. Bottom line, do it right and add a secondary receiver onto your hitch and rack, best way to go. It doesn't have to be full two inch, my secondary receiver is only 1" and I lug a 450x (used to lug a xr650r) around all the time.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2017 at 05:42 AM

I have a Moto Jack Rack, and really like it. I am not sure if they are still made, but they can be found on eBay. Good luck!
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2017 at 09:48 AM

I designed my own moto rack thirty years ago for a Ford 4 wheel drive van that allowed the moto to swing away from the rear without unloading the moto to give access to the rear doors.

It is steel and requires two receivers welded to the chassis beams for off road stability. The left receiver is triangulated to support the swing out function. The right receiver is straight with a 1" bolt and nut to lock it down when traveling.

I also added a vertical 2" square tube with a u bolt to act as a clamp bar for the moto's frame to prevent any rocking when bouncing around off road.

I also angled the racks tongues up a few inches to give more ground clearance off the back end. Without that, I surely would have bottomed out too many times.

It never failed, even when getting some unintended air at times.

You do end up with three receivers across the back with the usual tow hitch in the middle.

I still have this, and it is for sale for $200. Sorry no photos possible, but if you are in my area of SD north country, you are welcome to stop by and have a look.

I did repurpose it for carrying a couple of large tool boxes at one time, but those extensions can be easily cut off. It does come with a loading ramp included.

I have never seen another one like it. I suppose it could be made lighter in aluminum if it was reinforced.

Thanks to all here.

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2017 at 06:35 AM

i use one i welded up. it has been the length of the transpeninsular a dozen times. works fine...wobbles some and is heavy/overbuilt
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.