Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-25-2017 at 03:59 PM

Full story over on Talk Baja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2017 at 06:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Chucky wrote: Shootout between cops and bad guys? In front of Jardines yesterday....

The way you handle a post like this is just ignore it and treat it as BS.

If the OP can't be bothered to provide a link to such a shooting, or at least specific details of the event, and exact location, then the post deserves a call of BS, until they back up their claim.

You can't just throw out a name like Jardines, and expect everyone to know where it's at. It could be a city, hotel, or even a nickname.

It's always laughable to see comments about a big cover-up about shootings in Mexico, and thinking US News outlets should be picking up all these shooting even in small Baja cities,

The fact is the local Mexican media, does pick up many of these shootings in the local papers, and the US media picks up the stories that make headlines, or hold wide interest .

Most US campers I bump into up North believe there is too much violence in Mexico and Baja and the country is unsafe to visit.

There are nomads who use to visit Baja but are now too frightened to return.

I feel their pain. Baja isn't for everyone. If I were that afraid, I wouldn't visit Baja either.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-25-2017 at 09:05 PM

Well, with the raise in gas prices along with the big devaluation of the paso there is true hardship on many.
Also bring into account gangs, drug use and desperate deportee's and you have a recipe for a major increase in crime.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-25-2017 at 09:11 PM

I was in San Quintin this morning and there was no sign of anything at Jardines, Los Olivos, Hotel Mision Santa Maria, or Cielito Lindo.
No police presence either. So, it got cleaned up fast!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2017 at 04:28 AM

What kind of "signs"' did you expect?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-26-2017 at 06:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I was in San Quintin this morning and there was no sign of anything at Jardines, Los Olivos, Hotel Mision Santa Maria, or Cielito Lindo.

Perhaps "signs of anything" will return after the fear subsides and customers and staff return, eh?
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 4-26-2017 at 10:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtnpop  
For the first time in "FOREVER" I am thinking I want to caravan with someone early next month from Mulege thru San Felipe and San Luis to Yuma....
Towing a really nice jeep that gets a lot of attention. Would like to have it to use in Colorado this summer...
Maybe just being a little too much paranoid but just think traveling in numbers might be better....
We have never been thinking this way before...
Oh well, do what we gotta do.....
Have a great summer all.....

There are a few posts on this site that talks about a "caravan" thinking there is safety in numbers, and I guess it would be a little more safe by traveling that way.

But it's unlikely everybody who wants to travel on the Baja highways could coordinate their schedules with other family members, friends, or even strangers on the same week, unless the trip is planned way in advanced, and so a "caravan" is really an unworkable solution for most.

Personally, I think if American travelers feel they need a caravan to travel the roads and back roads of Baja, should instead stay home, or take an airplane to your destination.

This is not the 1800's where people traveled in covered wagons, and at the first sign of trouble, they would circle the wagons. Mexicans in Mexico, are also not savage Indians with bows and arrows who are sitting in the hills waiting to attack the palefaces. Instead, they have "goat's horns" better known as AK-47 type of assault rifles.

The odds being a victim of a crime in Mexico for foreign tourists is very small, and although there is cartel violence in Mexico, the tourists aren't being targeted, so these extraordinary measures of caravans or Mad Max, type vehicles in Baja are probably not needed, unless that's how you roll.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2017 at 02:43 PM

The odds being a victim of a crime in Mexico for foreign tourists is very small, and although there is cartel violence in Mexico, the tourists aren't being targeted

I've noticed a drop off in those inane posts claiming violence is
everywhere, US cities, and I feel safer camping in the US, Baja
is immune because it is almost an island, etc. Seems those
rebutals have lost some steam. As posted, it is Mex, has
always been a bit of a gamble to go SOB

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2017 at 02:55 PM

The premise that tourists wont be injured because they are not "targeted" is ludicrous. A bullet has no mind, once fired..And the aftermath, dealing with Mexican authorities, is almost as scary as being shot..

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-26-2017 at 03:23 PM

Baja has always been 'wild and wooly' and one always had to keep the third eye open, that's what I loved most about it. However, they weren't using AK's and AR-15's back in The Day. Hard to do collateral damage with a machete.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2017 at 07:52 PM

Tourists aren't immune to crime down South. Just don't think cartel violence is directed at this group. I can live with opportunistic thieves, conniving banditos, and petty scammers. I'll leave when cartel violence is rampant and tourists are dying in numbers.

In the mean time, I strongly believe there is strength in numbers when traveling. It doesn't prevent me from traveling alone. Get in trouble and it's good to have backup. Baja Western Onion seems to have lots of ads for travelers wanting company.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 4-27-2017 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
The premise that tourists wont be injured because they are not "targeted" is ludicrous. A bullet has no mind, once fired..And the aftermath, dealing with Mexican authorities, is almost as scary as being shot..

Chuckie, do you have any evidence and links that show tourists and are being injured and killed in Mexico, from collateral damage, by way of the Mexican cartels, in any significant numbers or percentages, or is this just your feelings, based on perhaps a few headlines or anecdotal musings based on your own fears?

I ask because the US State Department Travel warning, doesn't even mention collateral damage as one of the many dangers it does list, and there is still the fact the US State Department travel warning, only says to, "exercise caution in the northern and southern state of Baja California, particularly at night."

Of course there have been some tragic killings of tourists by collateral damage in Mexico, and some places in Mexico are more dangerous than others, but like they say, " it could happen anywhere."

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 4-27-2017 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Most US campers I bump into up North believe there is too much violence in Mexico and Baja and the country is unsafe to visit.

There are nomads who use to visit Baja but are now too frightened to return.

I feel their pain. Baja isn't for everyone. If I were that afraid, I wouldn't visit Baja either.

People can believe anything they want.

People can also choose to live in fear.

And some fear mongers can exploit those fears, if that's what they like to do.

The fact is somewhere up to 30 million foreign tourists visited Mexico in 2016, and almost all of them make it back home safe without incident, and I bet they can't wait to get back to Mexico the following year, or a few years.

I do agree that Baja isn't for everyone.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2017 at 11:21 AM

JJJ I never said anywhere that tourists were being injured, killed, spat upon, hit by flying burritos or otherwise..Perhaps whomever is translating for you could read slower...or better yet in your native language...

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 4-27-2017 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
JJJ I never said anywhere that tourists were being injured, killed, spat upon, hit by flying burritos or otherwise..Perhaps whomever is translating for you could read slower...or better yet in your native language...

Chuckie, forgive me that gibberish is not my native language. English is my native language, and that I like to back up my posts with facts and links, but I could have swore that you were taking about tourists in your above post, that I linked below.

Do forgive me for being wrong, and BTW Chuckie, if you were not talking about tourists, who were you talking about?

Chuckie wrote: The premise that tourists wont be injured because they are not "targeted" is ludicrous.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2017 at 11:46 AM

Cauliflower soup, actually...

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 4-28-2017 at 05:55 AM

My sister knew the two young men who were murdered on a beach by a "bad hombre" named Diablo about 15 years or so ago. They were driving a brand new truck and trying to buy pot so also carrying lots of cash. They slept on a remote/isolated beach and were murdered.

Moral of this story: Clueless people doing stupid things with bad people can get killed. I think keeping your nose clean and employing common sense helps keep you alive. Cartels have no interest in people with no interest in drugs (or so I hope...).

[Edited on 4-28-2017 by BajaMama]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 4-28-2017 at 11:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
English is my native language,

From the errors you make, I assumed that you did NOT grow up in an environment where English was the native language. :?:

Are/were your parents native English speakers?

I don't answer questions, especially personal questions from BN trolls with less than 100 posts.

Lencho, you might want to cut down on the smileys at the end of most of your posts, because you over do it.

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

This is the crux; how many violent crimes actually result in law enforcement preventing future antisocial behavior by the perps? I love Mexico but in a certain way feel exposed: the primary reason there's not more violent crime is general human goodness and moral guidelines, not rule of law, and when bad things DO come down, there's little recourse from the authorities.

The system generally works, but with the increase of drugs and family breakdown, if law enforcement doesn't improve to fill in the growing moral gap, I see potential for hard times ahead.

Lencho, if I were you, I would worry less about JJJ's errors, than I would about your own patronizing, snooty and sanctimonious postings about Mexican human goodness, moral guidelines, and growing morals gaps, according to you.

Please, give me a break. I could picture Lencho, preaching this to Mexicans, in Mexico. I would pay money to hear the Mexicans response to Lencho's pompous moral guidelines.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I could do the smiley thing too.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 4-28-2017 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  

Huh?

I don't know what part of Mexico you live in but here it is the Mexicans that tell us these things, even to the point of knowing which police are honest if you are in a jam and which ones aren't.

Maybe I am missing something in your post.

Oh, I see it's the Mexicans, who are engaged in self-loathing talk about the breakdown of the moral fabric of Mexican society, while sounding like a Rush Limbaugh type.

Well, it could be true, but the question to be asked is: Does one Mexican, or even a few Mexicans stating their opinions, speak for all Mexicans?

If so is there any one white American, who speaks for all Americans? Perhaps Trump maybe?

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.