Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Walking across at San Ysidro
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 07:54 AM
Walking across at San Ysidro

I haven't walked across since the new pedestrian crossing was built. Can someone give me directions for crossing to Tijuana and back or point me towards a map please.

I'm not sure if you enter Tijuana via the old east side crossing or the new west side crossing. Same with returning to USA.

Also, I have docs for the Ready Lane.

Thanks

[Edited on 4-22-2017 by SFandH]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 09:11 AM

The new walk-across is at the same end of the trolley stop, but on the other side of the street as the exit doors of the US border check - an uphill driveway next to McDonalds. There are signs. It will lead you to and through a new building where you will either get FMM checked or acquire an FMM. There are multiple staffed booths to issue FMMs. Then there is the red light/green light checkpoint further on in the building. Then finally you're out and onto a long walkway.

Returning, there are stairs (no sign last I was there) that take to where the line queues (depending on how long the line is). Note that there may be 3 or 4 lines. Toward the front there are signs that specify what they're for: disabled, sick, elderly; Sentry lane; "general/all other" and Ready Lane. US Customs keeps everyone behind an entry gate and allows 100 or so at a time, or allowing just the disabled people to go, and always allowing the Sentry people to go in front of all others. Sometimes they take long breaks and don't let anyone in for 20 min.
I believe there is another crossing into the US near the outskirts of downtown, but I don't have personal experience with it. I know that once across, you can pay for a bus to take you to the SY trolley line.
I think you should check out the new crossing and report back to us.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 09:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
The new walk-across is at the same end of the trolley stop, but on the other side of the street as the exit doors of the US border check - an uphill driveway next to McDonalds. There are signs. It will lead you to and through a new building where you will either get FMM checked or acquire an FMM. There are multiple staffed booths to issue FMMs. Then there is the red light/green light checkpoint further on in the building. Then finally you're out and onto a long walkway.

Returning, there are stairs (no sign last I was there) that take to where the line queues (depending on how long the line is). Note that there may be 3 or 4 lines. Toward the front there are signs that specify what they're for: disabled, sick, elderly; Sentry lane; "general/all other" and Ready Lane. US Customs keeps everyone behind an entry gate and allows 100 or so at a time, or allowing just the disabled people to go, and always allowing the Sentry people to go in front of all others. Sometimes they take long breaks and don't let anyone in for 20 min.
I believe there is another crossing into the US near the outskirts of downtown, but I don't have personal experience with it. I know that once across, you can pay for a bus to take you to the SY trolley line.
I think you should check out the new crossing and report back to us.

is it possible to walk in to buy an FMM from the mexico side?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 10:12 AM

Thanks wilderone. So if I understand you, going into Mexico is on the east side, as before, but a bit different and returning to the US is on the west side, using the new facility.

Yes?

[Edited on 4-22-2017 by SFandH]
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 11:00 AM

When I cross back, I always use the old facility, and have never been to the new one. But I hear that's it's quite a walk to the trolley, though.
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 12:08 PM

The only pedestrian entry into Mexico at San Ysidro is at the end of trolley line to the left. It is well signed.

However, to return to the US there are two options: the old way, which parallels the entry described above, and the new way, which is at El Chaparral much further to west, The entrance ramp to the new pedestrian bridge is a short distance east of the river channel if you are walking from downtown. If taking a taxi, tell the driver you want to go to El Chaparral. In the US you will end up on Virginia Avenue and can take a shuttle bus or walk back to the trolley station or one of the border parking lots.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 12:30 PM

This thread Needs a map!
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

is it possible to walk in to buy an FMM from the mexico side?

I've walked thru the newer ped crossing into TJ a couple times.
Is it possible? Perhaps, definately awkward, pedestrian traffic
does not traditionally flow that way, Mex Imm may question why one would be entering their bldg. from that
angle. One would have to walk
alongside the line coming back to the US, there are stairs leading
down from Mex Imm, that is where folks entering Mex descend
after passing thru Mex Imm. I would walk into the US, then
return into TJ the existing ped entrance
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 06:09 PM

There isn't much need in a map.

Old crossing (East of Hwy) is now ped to TJ, ped and vehicle/bus to SY.

New El Chap crossing (to the West of Hwy) is ped to SY, vehicle/bus to TJ.

East ped crossing to TJ is easy to find, the causeway begins at the South end of McDonalds building. No worries, INM will immediately profile you as a gringo and will make you buy FMT visa if you aren't RP.

West crossing to TJ - El Chap - is both vehicle and bus, so it might work for walking to TJ, sort of. You get off the bus - this is mandatory - and walk through the INM. It looks like they don't care where you will wander after you've got through INM. I didn't try walking Southbound there, there are few hundred feet of ped-unfriendly terrain before you get to TJ streets.

Northbound to SY you have a choice of either old East ped crossing or new West ped. From where your ride will dump you on the TJ side, it's about the same distance to either crossing (at least, this was the case 3 months ago). Just follow other people to either East or West, there is always ped traffic towards the big great unknown of the North.

Edit-PS:
If you need to do a quick in-out to renew your FMT, and have to do this on foot - I would do it at the old East. Exit to the US and enter to Mx again. Sentri card is highly recommended. Ready Lane papers are (probably) same thing.

[Edited on 4-23-2017 by Alm]
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2017 at 02:08 PM

The El Chaparral (west) crossing is not designed at this time for pedestrians to cross into Mexico going south. You could take a bus to Mexican customs and walk the rest of the way into Tijuana. It's more like several hundred yards to get to regular streets. Much safer to get back on the bus and then ask the driver to stop and let you off at the first safe drop off spot. No sidewalks in the first section after clearing customs.
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2017 at 09:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  
The El Chaparral (west) crossing is not designed at this time for pedestrians to cross into Mexico going south. You could take a bus to Mexican customs and walk the rest of the way into Tijuana. It's more like several hundred yards to get to regular streets. Much safer to get back on the bus and then ask the driver to stop and let you off at the first safe drop off spot. No sidewalks in the first section after clearing customs.

I crossed at El Chaparral yesterday morning around 6 am. I checked it out more carefully, and it would be possible to walk from the customs building into the Zona Fiscal and then use the bridge to get to downtown Tijuana, There is a sidewalk on the left side of the exit lanes and a street to the left after a shorter distance to give access to downtown.

Curiously there were only 3 other cars crossing in front of me. All were sent into the big x-ray machine. A new random check? I was able to go straight ahead, and a single car behind followed me.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2017 at 10:08 AM

I crossed at El Chaparral yesterday morning around 6 am. I checked it out more carefully, and it would be possible to walk from the customs building into the Zona Fiscal and then use the bridge to get to downtown Tijuana, There is a sidewalk on the left side of the exit lanes and a street to the left after a shorter distance to give access to downtown.

Curiously there were only 3 other cars crossing in front of me. All were sent into the big x-ray machine. A new random check? I was able to go straight ahead, and a single car behind followed me.

good to know! :yes: gracias

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.