Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bahia Concepcion at Christmas 2017
cvcruiser

[*] posted on 4-25-2017 at 08:39 AM
Bahia Concepcion at Christmas 2017

Hello All,
This is my first post to bajanomad. Many years ago my father took us down to San Felipe during Easter every year. It's many, many years since I've been there and now I have kids that I would like to experience kind of what i did. I know things have changed a lot in the last 30 years but I'm hoping my kids will still appreciate the kind people there and the beauty of Baja. We're actually thinking of going to Bahia Concepcion with my brother and his family during the kids Christmas break.

How crowded is it now to camp on the beaches during Christmas? If the area is crowded is it better to get to less crowded beaches with four wheel drives? Any suggestions for beaches to camp at and recommendations would appreciated.
We also plan on bringing lots of clothes, toys...etc to the locals. If you know of a place to bring this stuff, I'd love to hear where.

Thanks,
Chris
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-25-2017 at 08:47 AM

Welcome to Nomad!!
This year, I was there in January and February, and it was thick with Canadians! But, there were places to camp, like La Perla and Narranjos, etc.
San Felipe area could be a first stop, then go on down. Consider L.A. Bay, too. My kids loved it there. There is only 23 unpaved miles on Hwy. 5, and all cars and semis drive it.

[Edited on 4-25-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-25-2017 at 08:58 AM

La Perla beach is a bust now, in total disrepair and not safe. You should check out the little beach just barely past the Posada Concepcion community (I forget the name, it'll come to me or someone else soon). It's before you get to Playa Los Cocos. It's not favorable for big rigs but doable in a regular vehicle, less crowded, small and cozy, and only a half mile from 3-4 restaurants and a small store that sells ice.

The xmas crowds on the bay are nothing like easter crowds; doesn't get a huge deluge, but since kids are out of school like yours, people are doing the 2-week Baja run, so wherever you go it'll have people. Don't plan on too much solitude, but it's still totally doable, and ain't a better place in the world to hang out for the holidays. Happy trails.

The beach I mentioned is Playa Escondida..... small, nestled over a low ridge and away from highway noise. Quaint, rustic, a few palapas, and protected from the late December winds the bay always gets. I think it'd suit your needs well.

[Edited on 4-25-2017 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

rancho guillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2017 at 12:42 PM

cvcruiser, We may be down there between Christmas and New Years. If that is your time slot lets stay in touch and maybe we will run into each other.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2017 at 09:23 PM

Playa Escondida, buddah?
Yep, keep La Perla empty for you (and me) to have it whenever, wink, wink!

It is the beach, quiet spot, and not run down palapas that I am there for...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2017 at 06:46 AM

The number of people can vary depending on what is going on, who is traveling, etc., Santispac is probably the first, will normally have bigger crowds, but I have seen a lot of empty areas around Christmas. We play on Sundays at Armando's Restaurant and there is another Restaurant there called Annas. At Posada Concepcion, as Budha mentioned there is a great beach called Escondida and it was our favorite for years due to less truck noise. Burro has some Palapas for rent and is a favorite hangout. We play at JC's Burro Beach on the alternate Sundays and it is a great hangout and restaurant. Coyote is very nice and can get a lot of people on holidays. Buenaventura has some spaces and a couple of houses for rent. Requeson is very popular, but Armenta has been avoided since someone was killed there by robbers. Manglito, down at the south end has a lot of break ins and theft, so would avoid that one.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-26-2017 at 06:52 AM

South end should be avoided, we had 4 different guests at 4 different times have their rigs broken into and robbed down there...We lost cameras and stuff while still in sight of the truck...never saw a thing..

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-26-2017 at 07:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Playa Escondida, buddah?
Yep, keep La Perla empty for you (and me) to have it whenever, wink, wink!

It is the beach, quiet spot, and not run down palapas that I am there for...

DK, i'll never camp at La Perla again. I spent more time there in one season than you have in your entire life... you don't have a boat, you don't leave your campsite or tent and only stay a few days usually I believe. Not to mention names, but the spot is now known for thievery bigtime. A friend stayed at Requeson in January and saw a certain person going through camper's tents and scoping out the contents of a fishing boat while the owners were in town. I didn't give my advice to the OP facetiously.

I know your love for La Perla.... I have it too, but it's all in the past now.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2017 at 09:59 AM

Oh, I know you have... I was not in a contest about it. Also, I just go there to camp and chill, so no boating or leaving camp. It is a backup to Requeson... which has been too crowded on the few times we have been there since camping there in 2007, and other times back to 1985 and 1966. There is a lady who lives there and collects the camping fee. When she doesn't, her nephew who owns Requeson collects for her... most times I have camped there.

honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2017 at 09:14 PM

camped at La Perla a month ago. Requeson was somewhat crowded. We were the only ones at La Perla. The nephew sold us firewood and the old aunt came by after dark to collect the money. Had a beautiful night drinking and bar b q-ing fish and asada from Loreto. No issues....however there was 7 of us. If i was with the wife and kids I would choose to stay at a beach with a few more people.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
4-27-2017 at 03:14 AM
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2017 at 04:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
camped at La Perla a month ago. Requeson was somewhat crowded. We were the only ones at La Perla. The nephew sold us firewood and the old aunt came by after dark to collect the money. Had a beautiful night drinking and bar b q-ing fish and asada from Loreto. No issues....however, there was 7 of us. If I was with the wife and kids I would choose to stay at a beach with a few more people.

Camped alone many nights there (2009 to 2017), was I lucky?

Editorial: I feel safer camping in Baja than going into most American cities. If I do get killed in Baja, then I will die where I am happy, and in a way, by my choice of circumstances.

OK, photos for those unfamiliar with La Perla...

July 2009:

July 2012:

July 2015:

September 2016:

February 2017:

They still provide shade and if they weren't there, then I would just put up the sun canopy.

[Edited on 4-27-2017 by David K]

dravnx
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2017 at 01:48 PM

Highly recommend making the extra effort to spend Xmas and NYE in Bahia de Los Angeles. The town has a great NYE party, the camping is safe and you can either stay at established campgrounds with palapas, cabanas, hot showers and flush toilets or you can go out to Gringa Point and camp in relative solitude. BOLA is more like what Baja used to be like.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.