BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: I'm a fishing junkie! are you?
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 4-27-2017 at 02:20 PM
I'm a fishing junkie! are you?

Fishing junkie

Yes I admit it I am and have been a fishing junkie all my life, this affliction has cost me dearly from the beginning to this day.

I have worn out two wives in the process, spent untold amounts of money that I didn't have!

I warned both wives about my problem before we signed the agreement,both told me "don't worry about it sweetheart I can handle it" neither had any idea what they were getting into.

My first wife is in rehab as we speak, the second is hanging on by the skin of her teeth,she is 14 years my junior but never has been able to keep up with me.

So now I spend my time reading your reports and b-tching or so she tells me but this weekend we are headed for the mountains for a few days,its cooler and hopefully the trout will be biting and I can dream about those big Roosters and all will be well.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

[Edited on 4-27-2017 by baitcast]

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-27-2017 at 03:10 PM

Good to hear from ya Rob! Go get your line wet!!!

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 4-27-2017 at 04:38 PM

So truly put. I have many addictions, most are not centered around motors or I would serious debt.
With the money I have spent or hunting and fishing, I could eat sushi grade fish and kobe beef for the rest of my life.
I hope you get a trout or two....

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

SDROB
Junior Nomad

Mood: BajaOnTheBrain

[*] posted on 4-27-2017 at 05:52 PM

So are you more of a saltwater or freshwater junkie?

As soon as I started fishing the Sea of Cortez I rarely fish freshwater. Still fun but once I got a boat Id rather spend a day out on the ocean.

My favorite fish to catch is probably a YT on the iron. However I can C+R spotties + cochitos all day just for fun too.

2 boats and 2 kayaks all dialed in for fishing. The addiction is real!

[Edited on 4-28-2017 by SDROB]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-27-2017 at 06:37 PM

Fishing is an obsession for me. Most recently I am thinking of living on my boat. So I can fish or be preparing to fish.
It makes no sense.
I recenting turned down a voluntary layoff and retirement. But now may get involuntary layoff. 3 months minimum and maybe 6 months maximium.
So now I am scheming on a couple year layoff/mini-retirement.
So I want to live on my boat in the fee achorage in Newport beach so I can prepare for baja.
It sounds strange but I think it is doable. And I haven't bought a new boat yet either.
I think I can live on a 1990-1993 Searay 270 Sundancer.
It will serve as a camper and an ocean capable fishing boat. Right a the top end of trailerable too.
Insane right?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2017 at 07:13 AM

I genes I got from my Father left me no choice but to pick up a rod and follow him down many streams,rivers and lakes in Idaho Washington,Montana and BC before most of you were born :lol:

My salt water career started in the Navy in 54 which gave me a chance to fish in some interesting place hell I even fished in Hong Kong harbor where ever we stopped long enough for me to get my rod:lol:

My life has been one long fishing trip.....I can't even pass a body of water without wondering what kind of fish lives there, just the other day I finally cracked the code on the Stripers in Lake Mead.
82 years and I still see no chance of recovery for me, on my death bed my last thoughts will be of that big Rooster that I didn't catch:lol:
Rob

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
SDROB
Junior Nomad

Mood: BajaOnTheBrain

[*] posted on 4-28-2017 at 09:28 AM

Super cool Rob! Thanks for sharing...

[Edited on 4-28-2017 by SDROB]

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 9.35.32 AM.jpg - 52kB
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-28-2017 at 05:57 PM

Great! Now I will be thinking of roosterfish all day☺

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 4-28-2017 at 06:24 PM
I just don't get you guys

You wake up at 0 dark thirty and go out to try and make bait in the dark. You hope for a calm flat day and get bumped and tossed around, at best. You get hungry and have to eat some tiny, skinny little burritos that were pre made at the dock or worse yet, soggy sandwiches you made the night before. You hope your boat performs well enough to get you back to the dock but sometimes a strange engine noise gets your attention and it turns out to be nothing. You drop this poor little bait down in the water only to have a hook up and if its a Yellowtail, it kicks your ass and your arms are so tired but for some reason you do it again and again. You get back to the dock, have to pay to put gas in the tank, clean the bloody fish, attract flies and then eat the damn thing. I could go on and on pointing out that it would be so much cheaper to just go out and order a fish dinner but you fools just don't get it!

Damn, I cant wait to do all of the above on my boat. :biggrin:

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2017 at 05:50 AM

Howie: Good description of the stoopidness we go thru to fish, but there is a group of sportsmen, and I use that term loosely, that is even crazier: duckhunters. Those guys are nucking futs.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2017 at 07:18 AM

Hi, my name is Paulina and I'm a fishing junkie too.

I blame genetics.

My addiction can be traced back to my third year of life, on a day boat out of Ensenada. I spent the day fishing in the bait tank, catching sardines by pulling open my long sleeved shirt at the wrist. A full sleeve and tickling arm pit let me know I'd reached my limit.

I dream about fishing, catching the halibut that swim through the carpet and hide under the sofa.

I keep a surf rod at the ready all summer, siesta with one eye open for the birds that will let me know the Toro are crashing the beach.

"Guess where I just was?" is a question I'm known to ask my husband. Usually the answer is, some place in my mind, at a time in the past, remembering the fish I caught in Baja.

I no longer fish stateside. When my dad was alive we would fish the Kern river. Now we are too busy working here so we can "live" in Baja later. Thank goodness for school holidays as it gives this preschool teacher a change to recharge her batteries and get my fishing fix, but it never lasts long enough till the next time.

ps. Yes, I do keep some Toro. My Baja rescue dog Mooney Munoz prefers it to her kibble. She usually knows they are crashing the beach before I do.

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 29-4-2017 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-29-2017 at 07:25 AM

"The time one spends fishing should not be deducted from their life".

Anon.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2017 at 07:37 AM

Paulina---- great fish!! Your dog is a lucky dog!!

Me-- must be genetics!!! My last name is Fisher!!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2017 at 10:42 AM

The weight of obsession,What we can learn from anglers who have crossed the line between passion and addiction.

James Hall

While at the dentist office this morning I found this page in a outdoor mag. had to have it so I ripped it out and stuck it in my pocket,I knew you guys would like it as well!

Sometimes a fish gets in your blood. There's something about its personality, the challenge of catching it,that not only speaks to your soul but swims through it.It leaves in its wake a clinical obsession to keep that connection alive,no matter the risk or sacrifice.

Fisherman with this disorder are, admittedly,plagued.But what a sweet disease.To a man ,they believe their lives have been altered.They did not choose to be this way-the fish chose them.

To abuse one's body as well as one's equipment in the pursuit of that ultimate hook-up is acceptable.
Rob

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-29-2017 at 11:58 AM

Rob, I know you loved the world record Spotfin form 10 years ago! I still have a spot to show you so we can get on a bunch of them. In the mean time, here's last Oct. BdeLA and I'd love to put you on some of these models! 20-30# Yellowtail might have to suffice!

grouper.JPG - 107kB

[Edited on 4-29-2017 by woody with a view]

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2017 at 12:03 PM

Whoa!! you have been busy!! Woody
Rob

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 4-29-2017 at 12:11 PM

Looks like a photo shop to me! :biggrin:

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2017 at 12:22 PM

more fish for you fellows...I've tapped out, 45 years of hitting it hard, im done. salud! :D
Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2017 at 09:18 AM

As a kid growing up in San Diego, I met some of the nicest and friendly people while fishing from the Shelter Island Pier.

On the weekends, I was bored hanging around the family bar and grill and one day a customer took me fishing at the pier and was hooked.

As a 10 year old, I convinced my Mom to drop me off before the biz opened in the morning on Saturday and would get picked around 3AM on Sunday.

As I became a regular on the Pier, many old timers and families befriended and took me in and watched over me. I used the dollar that I got to buy some bait and would trade and sell my catches through out the day and on good days would end up with $20 bucks.

So many of the Old timers shared so much with me, teaching me various knots and teaching me English and compassion for sharing.

In those days, fish were so plentiful...There were times when the sea below was white from the huge schools of croakers and we could catch octopus (sold very well to the Filipinos), sharks, bonito, mackerel, Halibut (Top seller for me :), baracuda and on...

San Diego always has been a conservative town and in the late 70's and 80's, I experienced lots of racism. I couldn't understand why adults would yell out racial slurs at a kid walking down the street. But, fishing somehow made people relate or fishermen are more developed?? On the Pier, I always felt welcomed and never felt anything negative. We all enjoyed fishing and enjoyed swapping tales of the week before and the lost "big ones".....

Fishing is a great friend and I wish all the fishermen a great day in the water!

Make it a Great Day!!
westafricancaptain
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 05:30 AM

OK, your surf fishing the Pacific side. You want to reach down and grab a sand crab out of the sand. How do you tell which ones are soft shells?

I believe they are the last ones to dig in.
[Edited on 5-7-2017 by westafricancaptain]

[Edited on 5-7-2017 by westafricancaptain]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.