BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: I'm a fishing junkie! are you?
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 08:29 AM

I love fishing! Whether it is off shore San Diego, Newport Beach, Ventura, or San Francisco... casting a fly on a lake or river, or shore fishing and just off the shore (boat) in Punta Chivato. Bring it I will do it all (except really big fish, too old for that). Most is catch and release but I keep what I will eat.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 08:55 AM
Fishing and memory loss

Comparing my recollection of fishing trips I have been on to those of family and friends, I suspect my memory has been impaired.

I remember catching a 120 lb halibut on a salmon rod, while trolling a herring along the beach. Best day ever, but others insist that we sat on the beach for four days waiting for the weather to break. Was I there for that?

I remember being in swift clear water surrounded by aggressive Sockeye salmon, intent on ridding me of all my streamer flies! There may have been several trips in the weeks before that when we drove all night and fished all day for nothing, but I just don't recall that!

All the stories I hear about swarms of bugs, trekking through thorns, sunburns, scrapes and sprains.....did any of that happen to me?

And then there is the freezer full of free fish [/b! I have no idea of what the toys, tools and transportation cost to acquire them, until talk to my ex-wife. She was an addict too, so her memory can't be all that accurate!

Sorry for shouting, I screwed up on the edit!

[Edited on 5-6-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
fishinsteve
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 03:24 PM

I guess you could say I'm a fishin junkie..

I've live in San Diego since 1968 I have fished from Baja to Alaska pretty extensively with conventional rods and reels. Well about 8 years ago I felt like I needed more of a challenge so I got into Fly Fishin. Wow what a learning curve. Now I fish with only Fly Rods and sometimes I get so frustrated by the challenge I ask myself why I ever started but that only last a short while. I fish fresh and saltwater so I'm trying to learn both at the same time and on top of that I'm also learning to tie the flies for both. It is very rewarding to catch a fish on a lure or a fly that you have created yourself as some of you may know.

So I have my doubts now that I will ever be as competent as a fly fisher as I was a conventional fisher but its a hell of a lot of fun or I may just be a Fishin Junkie. Woody I have been drooling over your spotfin reports. My personal best was just over 7# those fish are fun.

Flyfishinsteve64 new user name for the other sites.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 11:20 PM

I 'm due for a trip. Either Bola in June-July or San Quintin strarting August 1.
Maybe both:cool:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 06:14 AM

I'm bad, so bad that it would take me a day just to put it in words. So, I'm just agreeing and loving all the other posters stories.

Making America Great Again
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 4-2-2019 at 11:24 AM

This one was fun and things are really slow so bump:lol:
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-2-2019 at 11:27 AM

Fishing is the solution to alot of things...

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 09:08 PM
Any new addicts on this board?

A bump to give any recent Nomads a chance to talk about their problem. If you are ready to share....we are listening!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SDROB
Junior Nomad

Mood: BajaOnTheBrain

[*] posted on 7-15-2020 at 07:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
A bump to give any recent Nomads a chance to talk about their problem. If you are ready to share....we are listening!

Wow. I clicked on this thread to read it and was shocked to find a post on this thread I did about 5 years ago. I don't even remember. Haha. Damn! It sucks getting old. Im still a fishing junkie thou so it makes sense I would participate. Cheers.
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2020 at 07:33 PM

From the beach or boat, doesn't matter!
Tight Lines, bk
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2020 at 08:41 PM

Last fall I fished the area you lived, Rob - Coeur deLane. We fished the North Fork of the Coeur deLane River and the St Joe with flies. I think that's all you're allowed to use now. We caught lots of cutthroat trout. There were cutts in the St Joe were smaller but the scenery was prettier. The Coeur deLane had hatches every day so you could fish dries a good portion of the day. My son out fishes me now by a long shot these days. All those trips to baja resulted in a fishing addict, like you. Perhaps I can find a picture or two.
jureal
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2020 at 03:41 PM

Dam Covid. I am supposed to be roosterfishing now.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 10:05 AM

Still slow so here is a little more.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 11:20 AM

Fish junkie when they're around. No fish no junkie.

Surfing junkie 24/7. Dream of waves, water, sand, tubes.

Im a fish out of water.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 11:29 AM

I love wading those shallow mangroves at low tide at Estero de Coyote. Making flipcasts with rubber worms, nailing corvina. Have to get the bait to drop right at the mangrove edge without getting snagged. When you hook into one you have to break his neck to get him out of there.

Love that. I hate Covid! Missed out this year.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 9-3-2021 at 11:40 AM

Finally, a thread that I'll be happy to post on.

As a Kid growing up in the 50's my Mom and Grandma would take me down to Santa Monica pier where we would catch halibut, barracuda , croaker, smelt , mackerel , and bonito ( once in a long while Yellowtail and White Sea Bass were also caught )

Every vacation , my Father would drive a Ford station-wagon with a LOADED roof-rack, full of camping equipment.
The vacations focus was ALWAYS centered around fishing, He was a driving force and would always choose to take a "dotted" line on the map, instead of paved roads. He would call them "shortcuts" , and more often than not, we would find some great places to camp and sometimes streams to fish. Back then most of the trout we caught were natives... My Mom would fry um up in a cast-iron skillet dusted with flour, Lawry's season salt and black pepper......
We NEVER made "reservations" ( something that I still despise and don't do, to this day ) This is a BIG reason that I love Baja so very much, no need for reservations

Every Summer, I would make my money by going fishing under POP ( Pacific Ocean Park) I would go early in the morning and stop at Davey Jones liquor Locker and buy some cinnamon rolls and chocolate milk . Go under the pier , wade out waist deep and use a knife to get mussels for bait. To get out to the end of the pier, I had to navigate around the locked and fenced-off Catwalk , that lead all the way out under the pier. This would involve holding on and walking on narrow wooden supports with waves crashing just below me. A fall would have been disastrous, as the pilings were huge with tons or sharp mussels.
It was illegal to be under the pier, but the fishing was SO worth it, as nobody fished there. There was one other that would occasionally come out there fishing, an old Black Man named George. He used a method of fishing that was unique to me. He had a tied-up ball of mussels about 8" in diameter with lots of hooks attached to it. He would bait each hook with mussel innards and drop that ball into the water. He really knew how to load up on the perch, I'll tell ya. I preferred a small rod and reel , as I liked to fight them. George was such a cool old-timer and he would tell me stories of old , while sucking on his bottle of Brandy.

After a day of fishing, I would find a box and some newspaper in the trash and walk along Venice beach promenade to sell my catch to all the old Jewish ladies that sat on the benches...
I mostly went alone but surprisingly my Sister went with me lots of times and a few times other friends would come along also.

There was great Corvina surf fishing during Summertime . I had a metal hand-held scoop type apparatus that I would use to catch sand-crabs, you would wait till a wave was reseding to the sea and quickly start doing a kinda dance like the twist. The soft-shell sand-crabs were few but were by far the best bait.
When the Grunion ran, we would go late night /early mornings and try to find them. The trick was to NOT go running for them when you first saw a few. You need to wait till the Grunion were lost in their sexual frenzy, so as to not notice when they are getting picked off by hungry people. One time up on Malibu beaches, there were SO many Grunions that every step you took killed a few and when bending down to grab them you would often get sand in your eyes as the Grunions were wildly flipping themself all around making wild sex with one another. I was trying to get only the smallest ones, as when you fry them up, the small ones could be eatin bones and all.

I remember when I was very young, my Uncle James (an avid Fisherman) took me on his boat. We were just North of the Malibu Pier, we were fishing for Halibut , but while dropping out anchovies down, most every time the the mackerel would hook-up before you reached the bottom. When you were lucky enough to get through the torrent of bait stealers you were rewarded with a hook-up on huge Halibuts.

Whenever I went fishing local, I would save a few mackerels for my Aunt Jessie, they were her favorite fish. I thought that she was crazy, until I discovered just how good mackerel can be. surprising, mackerel is one of the favorite fish worldwide.

We also used to go to Redondo harbor to fish for Bonito , it was wide-open near the live-bait tanks. We would rent a skiff for the day, NO motor , so we would row out to the bait tank and get a 1/2 scoop and fly-line the chovy's.. It was a game to start counting to 10 and see how fast you were "Hooked-up" usually you didn't get past 6 or so. We usually catch and release them except for one time we loaded up and took them to Venice Beach to sell. We had SO many that we had to find a shopping cart to haul all of them. It was a complete failure as we soon found out that those of the Jewish religion, do NOT eat fish without scales. We planted some in my Moms garden as fertilizer but had to throw away many, bummer.
There was a period of years that we fished at the end of Venice pier in the wee hours to catch Pin-back sharks.
Other years there was a fun run of Thrasher Sharks. They were GREAT ! There's a reason that they are named the "Poor Man's Marlin" An added bonus is they are darn good eatin !

This is just a snippet of a lifetime of Fish'n Fun.. I'll writ-up and post more if'n there is a bit of interest ?

Oh, and there is Baja fishing to !!!

[Edited on 9-3-2021 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2021 at 12:38 PM

That was a great read!

When I was a kid we use to go out on the log booms and jig for Lingcod. This too was illegal. Every now and then the Harbour Patrol would try to kick us off the booms but we just skipped along the logs to another boom. They were old fat guys who never got out of the boat anyways. I guess as a kid we loved that part as much as the fishing.

One day we were hiking back to our bikes from the booms with our fish. There to greet us was an RCMP officer with a big grin on his face. That was a last time screwing with the Harbour Patrol.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2021 at 04:01 PM

My earliest fishing experiences were at Echo Park fishing for bluegills. There were times when I ditched school to go there. Who would even consider Echo Park a fishing destination? I was mad about fishing back then. It didn't matter how big they were or how many I got. I would get up at 5 and ride my bike there in order to catch the 'morning bite'.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2021 at 10:05 PM

Share away! This is a GREAT post. Les is over fishing ...he would much rather just go to the store and buy fresh fillets. Of course, we get gifted fish too.

When we first moved to La Bocana, he took me out on his boat fishing. Before we left, I said, a couple of hours and then we can come back, right? Sure, he answered.

Ummm not quite true and this is when I really understood the passion for fishing because every time I said, OK, ready to head back, we would start back and then suddenly he would say, this looks like a really good spot, let me just try a bit! We finally got back to shore hours and hours later!

The good news? I caught a dorado, a real beauty that day. Maybe I can find that photo somewhere. Just as well 'cause this fisherwoman began and ended her fishing career that day LOL

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2021 at 09:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Share away! This is a GREAT post.

Just as well 'cause this fisherwoman began and ended her fishing career that day LOL

He let you off the hook too easy.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.