Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Warning from INM
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2017 at 08:08 PM
Warning from INM

http://www.banderasnews.com/1704/vl-expats-risk-losing-resid...

Certainty is the child of ignorance, knowledge is the mother of doubt. Question everything!

http://bcsbirds.com
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-29-2017 at 08:28 PM

wonderful
official message: we, the immigration experts, will likely eff up
you, the non expert, better check what we are doing and correct us if necessary
otherwise you might lose you immigration status

first country in history to claim: "We have no idea what we are doing"

missed a flight a couple of years ago because immigration did not know how to process my papers

Harald Pietschmann
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 4-29-2017 at 09:03 PM

Tijuana Fmm cards are not always valid in Mexico City airport.

TJ
To migration officer,
I will be flying to Colombia in 6 weeks. I leave from Mexico City airport. Is this fmm good to do that?
Yes Yes, 400 pesos, 8 pesos change.

Good for walking accross many times in tj.

Interjet employee in df airport, this is no good. 20 minutes tell take off. I can not find migration. It is on level one. Hit 1 in the elevator. Parking garage. Why are 27 old old nuns wanting this elevator to go up. Slow. No line in migration. Pay again. 10 pesos change from 400. I guess gringos dripping with sweat running around the international airport with fmm cards in their hands are a common sight.

Just because you ride your bicycle a lot does not mean you can run a mile. Different muscle groups.

[Edited on 4-30-2017 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-30-2017 at 06:00 AM

A few years ago I tried to fly out of Loreto to join my boys for an Elk hunt. I had a Permanente card. I was refused boarding until I got a Visa. I was sent to the Immigration office...No one there..open but no one there....Finally found the employee in a bar....Got visa $$$$ , missed flight...flew out 2 days later...es Mexico, no?

aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 4-30-2017 at 06:10 AM

I heard about this when getting my permanent visa. I thought it was illegal to fill out the FMM when you have a temp/perm resident visa.

Of you have a temp visa, INM will deny you your perm visa if they find a completed FMM in your history whilst you were at a temp status.

Both the INM and aduana's are only as good as the training they receive.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2017 at 07:40 AM

boy oh boy, missing a flight because of paperwork must be REALLY frustrating.

What an eye opener of an article.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2017 at 08:25 AM
VISA WHAT?

This is worse than buying a car from a dishonest dealer. Why does my head hurt just from reading this?
Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2017 at 08:53 AM

LOL, I started typing a long list of things that happened to me while coming back in to the US and the delays caused by Immigration Officers and then........ the caffeine ran out and I thought better to get a beer and move on. :)

Happy Kids Day!!

Make it a Great Day!!
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2017 at 10:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
A few years ago I tried to fly out of Loreto to join my boys for an Elk hunt. I had a Permanente card. I was refused boarding until I got a Visa. I was sent to the Immigration office...No one there..open but no one there....Finally found the employee in a bar....Got visa $$$$ , missed flight...flew out 2 days later...es Mexico, no?
The correct procedure has always been that you need to fill out the FMM form (it is not a "visa") before leaving Mexico and have it stamped by migracion, then present that form when returning to Mexico. It's exactly the opposite of what you would do as a tourist. It is your responsibility to know and follow the correct procedure.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2017 at 10:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  
I heard about this when getting my permanent visa. I thought it was illegal to fill out the FMM when you have a temp/perm resident visa.

Of you have a temp visa, INM will deny you your perm visa if they find a completed FMM in your history whilst you were at a temp status.

You are just using the same form as is used for an FMM, the difference is that if you are an RP or RT holder, you fill it out and put your resident credential # on the form, and get it stamped before you leave Mexico. Just because it's the same Forma Migritorio, doesn't mean it's an FMM.

rzitren
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2017 at 12:33 PM

Quick Question
We are flying on Aero Mexico from Tijuana to Ecuador with a change of planes in Mexico City. Do I need a FMM as we are not leaving the airport in Mexico City just changing planes. Thanks
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2017 at 12:46 PM

This is not unique to Mexico.

I was working Korea about 2001-2004 and they stamped me out incorrectly and when I came back - I was a tourist! Had to go to Japan and redo all my working papers. It was an expensive lesson learn to to watch everything immigration does. Their mistake = YOUR PROBLEM.

On top of that I made a fuss about it when I returned and I had to write a letter of apology to immigration stating everything was my fault! :-) The things we do. :o

I still don't watch the paperwork all that carefully, but...
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2017 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Just because it's the same Forma Migritorio, doesn't mean it's an FMM.

Beg to differ: It IS an FMM ("Forma Migratoria MĂșltiple"), and true to its name is used for multiple migration situations. What it is NOT is just another presentation of the old FM-T, and I think that assumption leads to confusion.

Wish they hadn't done that, but I suppose it saves having to stock more than one form.
What I meant is that just because it's the same form doesn't mean that you are applying for a tourist permit when you fill it out as required by your residency status.

gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2017 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rzitren  
Quick Question
We are flying on Aero Mexico from Tijuana to Ecuador with a change of planes in Mexico City. Do I need a FMM as we are not leaving the airport in Mexico City just changing planes. Thanks

This will depend on your status in Mexico. If you are legally living in Mexico, you should be able board the flight without getting the FMM. If you are living in the US or have no FMM, you will be required to get one at the airport, as you will be entering Mexico. In Mexico City you will stay in the transit lounge and not need anything.

If you are returning to Tijuana from Ecuador, you will need the FMM or proof you are living in Mexico with a Mexico address. Even if you are going to immediately cross the border to the US, you are entering Mexico and need to do it legally. There's no way to get on or off a flight at the airport without proper papers. However, it's fast and easy to get the FMM after going through security check to enter the departure area.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2017 at 07:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  

People are confusing themselves and everyone else by using the acronym FMM as a synonym for tourist visa. The FMM has NEVER been a tourist visa. It is a migratory document that Mexico uses to keep track of entries and exits of ALL foreigners, whether they are tourists or residents (altho for all we know, they just throw them in the garbage).

There are boxes on them to check indicating whether you are entering as a tourist, or a resident. The bottom half serves as a tourist visa for those entering as tourists.
mikenlapaz

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 11:09 AM

http://www.discoverbaja.com/fmm-faqs/

Has misleading information that could be costly for temp por perm residents.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 12:43 PM

Can you be more specific Mike?
What is misleading?
Discover Baja Travel Club is mostly in service for U.S. and Canadian travelers and not so much for residents of Mexico, I think?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 11:51 AM

DK:

I think this may be the confusing part:

<< Do I need an FMM tourist permit if I have temporary or permanent resident card (formerly known as FM2 or FM3)?

No. Your temporary resident or permanent resident card already functions as your permit to be in Mexico. You do not need to obtain an FMM tourist permit on top of this, and in fact, can be fined for having more than one permit at a time. >>

I think that's true coming into Mexico, but this says nothing about FMM for temps/perms leaving Mexico.

I would like to hear/find straight answer on this too.

And...if travelling out of baja by land (TJ or Tecate, typical) how does one get an exit FMM stamped and where at those crossings going north? Do I have to backtrack into the entry points somehow?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 11:53 AM

Tecate is easy to get to.. I outlined the process of returning the free FMM to the Tecate INM office, with satellite maps, too. I think that was last July?

EDIT: Here that post is:

We parked at the circle... one way street to the east (right). Lots of spots on both sides of that street to park (that day).
We walked to the INM office along the blue arrows. You go through a turnstile.
We walked back to the truck along the red arrows. A turnstile is also passed through leaving the INM area.

To go to the USA border line, we drive east on the one-way street a few blocks then to the right (south) a couple blocks to the street that is HWY. 2 (to Mexicali) to the traffic circle and just beyond to the USA entrance road.

[Edited on 5-2-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 05:30 PM

lencho: from monoloco's post above...

<< The correct procedure has always been that you need to fill out the FMM form (it is not a "visa") before leaving Mexico and have it stamped by migracion, then present that form when returning to Mexico. It's exactly the opposite of what you would do as a tourist. It is your responsibility to know and follow the correct procedure. >>

DK: thanks for posting that up, I will keep that in mind for future!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.