Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Camp Food
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2017 at 07:58 PM
Camp Food

Any suggestions? I`ve had most everything from rattlesnake tacos with cactus apples on the side, to beanies/weenies with Bimbo!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2017 at 08:01 PM

frito's with Hormel is always a crowd pleaser ;)
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-30-2017 at 09:02 PM

C E V I C H E ! :cool:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 04:58 AM

Whole jalapeƱos cooked over an open fire. And beer, lots of beer.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 05:23 AM

While we don't camp like we used to, and we have never camped in Baja, we love to cook when we camp. Dutch oven in a must. You can make really easy cobblers. And roast meats & chicken. We like to toss potatoes wrapped in foil into the fire. Use left over potatoes & meats (and anything else that sounds good) for a nice breakfast hash. Sausage is easier than bacon, for big groups Boy Scouts has a "Mountain Man" recipe. French toast is also an easy camp breakfast. We also like to grill chicken, ribs, steaks, etc. Veggies grilled on skewers are good too. If you want any recipes, let me know, the cobbler is fabulous, hubby won lots of contests with it.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 07:40 AM

we love to camp as generally try to eat what is near our camp whether it be scallops, fish, clams or goat & lamb....depending where you camp. We buy local goodies wherever we can like the ladies empanadas, machaca, cheese, wine or whatever they make.

It is a great way to contribute to the local economy and meet the folks too not to mention having nice fresh food.

But I pack canned sardines & crackers just in case of famine.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 08:20 AM

Samores and I always use to bring my very good friend, Sr. Don Juilio.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 08:26 AM

The smell of bacon cooking on a beach is the best!
Digging Pismo clams for linguini is a close second!

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 08:43 AM

Si - I enjoy sampling local tamales (Jesus Maria), fish tacos (Guer. Negro, smoked fish (Ensenada), oranges (Vizcaino), etc. As for groceries to bring, sometimes you don't feel like cooking or the weather is bad, so nuts, cheese, dried salamie/crackers, a jar of marinated artichokes or marinated asparagus are always good to create a nutritious meal (along with a Pacifico of course). Dried soups from Sprouts are excellent (black bean, green pea, corn chowder), or ramen bowls, soups with ramen noodles - just boil water. Cans of chili are my standby. Buy tortillas and make quesadillas - plain with cheese or add salsa, avocado. For breakfast, a tortilla heated and crisped in butter with cinnamon and sugar is good - or quesadilla with cheese and egg. A tasty camp meal if you want to put forth the effort, is to make turkey gravy from the packet (add water and simmer), make Stove Top Stuffing according to directions (add water) with a can of turkey or chicken added. When the stuffing is ready, put the gravy on top. This makes plenty for 2 or 3 - too much for 1. The Tasty Bite India cousine meals are heat and serve, and there is pre-cooked rice in a pouch as well. Cabbage keeps well, put some bottled salad dressing on slaw. I am usually cooking for one, so I don't make elaborate meals any longer, and enjoy an occasional restaurant meal. Cookies, granola bars, candy, tortilla chips, cans of salsa, are staples (!). I bring oatmeal and couscous for survival meals, but always end up bringing it home. I try to pack light with a backpacking stove or two and try not to bring too much that will be required to be kept on ice, but for the first 3 days or so I can count on having sour cream (to make dip) (prepare cut vegetables and put in sealed container on ice - it will keep for about 4 days - great with dip), yogurt, hamburger (start frozen).
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 08:59 AM

I cant count the times I set out with a couple of cans of refried beans and a bag of tortillas...

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 09:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
While we don't camp like we used to, and we have never camped in Baja, we love to cook when we camp. Dutch oven in a must. You can make really easy cobblers. And roast meats & chicken. We like to toss potatoes wrapped in foil into the fire. Use left over potatoes & meats (and anything else that sounds good) for a nice breakfast hash. Sausage is easier than bacon, for big groups Boy Scouts has a "Mountain Man" recipe. French toast is also an easy camp breakfast. We also like to grill chicken, ribs, steaks, etc. Veggies grilled on skewers are good too. If you want any recipes, let me know, the cobbler is fabulous, hubby won lots of contests with it.

That sounds great. I want to camp with you guys. lol
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 09:46 AM

Good oyster farms in San Quintin and Jesus Maria.
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 09:47 AM

Cat food and bread
Breakfast of champions

Or fishermen with hangovers, whichever :biggrin:

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 10:05 AM

cobbler recipe please!!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 11:33 AM

I have stuffed Cornish game hen with wild rice, onions, mushrooms, butter and spices w/ a leetle vino blanco 'n'water in a dutch, buried it in the fire pit and gone for the days' toodle, be it fishing, 4-wheeling, what have you... to come home to one of the most succulent meals ever. Dinty is dandy, but the only thing that makes food tastier is the ambiance of the location.
Put on the dawg! :bounce:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 12:09 PM

One of my favorite meals was just flaked/dried mashed potatoes, but we poured melted butter over them that had freshly dug Baja wild onions sauteed in it.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 03:47 PM

I like putting together tightly sealed aluminum foil pouches containing single servings of fish filets from the day's catch, some thinly sliced potatoes, onions and zucchini, a sprig or two of thyme or rosemary, a couple of thin slices of lemon or lime, a little knob of butter, salt and pepper, and a splash of white wine (preferably boxed, to avoid breakage). Grill the pouches over hot coals 10-12 minutes, depending on thickness of fish, and distribute to the crew to be opened and enjoyed with the remaining white wine.

On the other hand, if left to my own devices, I'm perfectly happy with Dennison's chili right out of the can, with a shot or two of Corralejo Reposado and a Pacifico back. That way, you only have to clean one spoon, two if you're sharing. ;) For breakfast, substitute Hormel corned beef hash for the chili and coffee for the Pacifico (there is no substitute for the Corralejo).

[Edited on 5-1-2017 by DanO]

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 05:03 PM

^^^^:lol:^^^^

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2017 at 08:18 PM

So what if you obtain some local Pismo clams, what would be a simple recipe? BBQ, steam, raw????

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2017 at 08:34 PM

just put em on the BBQ till they open....remember there's a top and bottom;)
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.