Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Camp Food
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-1-2017 at 08:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
Any suggestions? I`ve had most everything from rattlesnake tacos with cactus apples on the side, to beanies/weenies with Bimbo!

Std car-camping menu...

BFAST
blueberry pancakes, or
Bacon/Eggs, or
Yogurt/granola/fruit
Fruit
Coffee

LUNCH
cold meat
Cheese
Crackers
Sandwich (good old pb&j, best sandwich ever invented)
Fruit

DINNER
Grilled or sautéed meat or fish
Sautéed veggies and/or Salad
Rice or pasta (or good bread, which doesn’t exist in mex, oh well)
Vino, gin/tonic, or Manhattan on rocks (beer is not on menu anymore, it’s bloating, it takes up too much space, and the insulated adult sippy cups (like yeti) make iced mixed drinks last well in desert heat).

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2017 at 09:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
just put em on the BBQ till they open....remember there's a top and bottom;)

Hey Williard-- that`s what I did last time-- described it as butter of the sea, with WSB being the bacon of the sea. Trying to figure out the top to bottom thing but sure there is a double entendre in there somewhere!!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2017 at 09:16 PM

Hey Williard-- that`s what I did last time-- described it as butter of the sea, with WSB being the bacon of the sea. Trying to figure out the top to bottom thing but sure there is a double entendre in there somewhere!!!

when you throw em in a bucket of saltwater to purge em, the half with the animal in it will be on the bottom!
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2017 at 09:26 PM

when you throw em in a bucket of saltwater to purge em, the half with the animal in it will be on the bottom!

Dang I thought you were talking dirty! So you put them on the BBQ the way they come out of the bucket. Gravity thing!!

Goat-- thanks, got any more?

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2017 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Dutch oven in a must. You can make really easy cobblers.

Nomad John M and his wife Barbara cooked a cobbler in a dutch oven when we did the Mojave Trail and it was fantastic.

Personally I don't cook much when I camp. Usually stuff out of a can like tuna fish, chili, soup, beef stew etc. or precooked stuff like hamburger patties. Of course when we are near the water and fish that's different. Nothing taste better than fresh fish.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-2-2017 at 07:00 PM

Pismo clams, Open and clean the clams, chop to 3/4 chunks, Mix with tomatoes, onions, Mild peppers or mild and hot peppers. Put all it back into the clams and top with pad of butter or lard. Place the shells on a fire when the liquid bubbles take off and eat. paper plates will keep you from burning your hands.

We eat late lunch and dinner. if you can cook it at home you can do it on a camp stove and/or a open fire. Sometimes it takes some planning ahead of time too.

I once did tempura shrimp, on tropical rice in pineapple halves, a citrus, greens and nuts salad. Desert was a Pistachio ice cream. This was in Joshua Tree last day of a 4 day climbing trip.

I done pecan crusted trout with a orange cream sauce, White beans and bacon. Spinach salad.

We love pismo clam linguini for dinner and then as a pasta omelette for late breakfast. Warm up the leftovers and add eggs.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 02:17 AM

It all sounds good ... Chirizo, potatoes and eggs .. with torts and hot peppers .. your choice, same for the beverage :biggrin::biggrin:
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 10:18 AM

Camping on the beach, make lobster bisque, cioppino, or boullibaise depending on the day's haul, yum.
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 11:18 AM

Fun topic.

Fritos with chili of course, maybe with cheddar cheese.

Tuna with mayo and green onions, scooped up with triscuits or fritos, a little cheese on top can be nice. Yogurt, sandwiches. I just started eating granola with apple sauce as a light bfast lately, with some cinnamon.

All the fresh seafood suggections are great. Bring butter. When in doubt about your cooking, just add more.

My favorite camp food, snack, often 1 course meal, is this peppered jerky. Went there 20 years ago and have been ordering it for camping trips since.

https://thompsonssmokehouse.com/

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 11:30 AM

So what if you obtain some local Pismo clams, what would be a simple recipe? BBQ, steam, raw????

We clean their stomach real good. There is a clear worm parasite that lives in their gut. Kinda gnarly to eat raw for that reason. Either cook or freeze kills the little fockers. Clam linguini on the beach with fresh parsley is pretty close to heaven.

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 11:43 AM

Butter clams steamed open with garlic and green onion in a little water; melted butter dip w/lemon twist, and a boleo bun to dip in the clam broth.

And, shucked clams or Catalina scallops cooked in nutria-leche (small green box) sauce slightly thickened with a little corn starch n' butter, seasoned with tarragon and basil served over linguine or penne pasta and of course some boleo garlic bread.

B'fast? A warm tamale busted open and 2 over-easy's on top with a heaper of Herdez salsa....... all beach food fit for royalty!

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2017 at 06:30 PM

Grilled Jalapenos stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon!
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2017 at 07:18 PM

Brisket Snot sammitchs: I smoked a bunch of big briskets for our 30something quail hunt camp out, turned out good but about 1:30 am a few of us got hungry again an I said I’m gonna make you the best grilled cheese sandwich you ever had. Took a big loaf of crusty French bread smeared a bunch of congealed brisket snot from the cold pan, a layer of Provolone cheese and some horseradish wrapped it in tin foil, put it on a flat point shovel sat it on the dying embers of a giant campfire and it was pronounced by one and all as indeed the best grilled cheese Sammitch they had ever had. Never had the nerve to try it sober!!!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.