Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Punta Colorada airstrip
BrianBenson
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2005 at 01:40 PM
Punta Colorada airstrip

Anybody land at punta colorada in the last couple of months? If so, is the strip sandy at all? Is it long enough for a twin commanche?
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2005 at 02:07 PM
aeropisto Punta Colorado

Brian, Capt. Mike probably knows how long it is. When are you coming down? We've had a lot of unseasonal rain -- I could run out there and give you a condition report but not til Wed or Thurs.
fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2005 at 04:34 PM
plenty big!!!

Brian---You could land a whole squadron of commanche's on the colorada air stip. As far as a timely report on the condition I could not say. fishin rich
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2005 at 05:38 PM

Uh, he didn't ask about a Comanche, Rich. He said twin comanche.

And who would know if any runway is long enough for a twin comanche unless he were the pilot of the airplane and had access to the POH, and knew his personal criteria based on it? The BBP exists for precisely this kind of information with their publications giving runway length, gradient, if any, and nearby hazards.

It's generally assumed that pilots know their business about flying, and further that those who fly twins are even more knowledgeable. I guess the original post here belies those two assumptions.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-14-2005 at 06:03 PM
From Baja Bush Pilots

Here is a photo on approach to Punta Colorada... taken last Nov. (linked with permission)

Please go to http://www.bajabushpilots.com click on their bulletin board and read all the posts in the Punta Colorada forum. Each airport has a seperate forum. Seems some vandalism going on there. If you are a pilot, this is an organization you will want to join... and get the latest 'Airports of Mexico' edition.

[Edited on 2-15-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

thumbup.gif posted on 2-14-2005 at 07:10 PM
Brian and I talked at length by phone

a few days ago - before he posted this. He's just fishing/canvassing for as much info as he can get, that's all - ain't nuthin wrong with that, he's not the pilot, and the pilot is experienced - just maybe not at all remote strips that present challenging opportunities to either be a hero or ruin a day. But, you have to start someplace, it ain't ever easy to break new ground but if you have a spirit for adventure....well that seperates those who "do" from those who "armchair".

As far as whether twin drivers are, or have to be, more knowledgeable than those cruising around in singles.....ask that Q of Richard L. Collins, Sr. ed. at Flying mag who's flown his 1978 P210 single through 5 engine changes!! and he'll very easily explain how that 2nd screw helps a bunch with getting to the scene of the accident more quickly.

My point being that there is absolutely no consensus that a twin driver is any more knowledgeable about his flying than an operator of a SEL aeroplane. He might (and should) obviously know more about twin ops, but as far as the general rules and ops of flying planes period - all have to know what they're doing and operate within those individual limitations or eventually a day will be ruined for some...and it won't be about a single vs a twin, it will be about lousy flying period.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2005 at 07:19 PM
holy cow!!!!

If you look in the lower right hand corner of david k's picture there is a big black hazard to navigation. fishin rich
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2005 at 09:19 PM

If Brian Benson is not the pilot, that would certainly explain the lame question. If his pilot is experienced, perhaps someone should tell him, so he'd have a bit more confidence in the guy.

I stated that "people" assume MEL pilots are more knowledgeable, not that they are as a point of fact. No need for SEL drivers to get defensive. No one thinks yours is not as long as someone's who drives a twin.

Richard Collins flies a single engine for the simple fact that his readership base is overwhelmingly composed of single engine pilots. In other words, it's where his bread is buttered. Do you know of anyone else with his financial means staying in a single for thirty five years? I don't know if that's strictly accurate, I only began reading him in 1970 when he was a staff writer, piloting a Cessna 182.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 2-15-2005 at 07:25 AM
Sorry Nikon...but your initial comment seemed

needlessly negative - i don't see anything "lame" here about someone asking a fair question, as perhaps a bit excited about their upcoming adventure. and I don't see the word "people" in your intended quote - you state it is "generally assumed" - really? based on what empirical data that you can offer except perhaps your own opinion? And yes, i know quite a lot of folks who fly singles who also have easily the where-with-all to fly a twin if they chose, but they - quite like Mr. Collins - do not agree totally with the alleged safety supposedly inherent with that 2nd mill up front. The actual benefit does not always equal or meet the true cost of operating a twin depending on the most frequently required mission.

And as to your inference that those flying SEL might be defensive due to some latent insecurities with others' perception of their manhood.....you have got to kidding.:lol::lol:

by the way, since you often opine on the subject, what IS your experience in aviation?

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-15-2005 at 08:05 AM

one of the really nice thang about this Bord is it is a good place to git or give info. for those that need it . But some peple get there jollies by accusing people that have an honest question of being stupid rather than helping.it is far better if you don't want to help just to stay quiet.and let some one that understands the purpose of the Bord lick Caption Mick answer their questions.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-15-2005 at 08:28 AM
Punta Colorada strip in 1969...

From the old Airports of Baja California, you can see the runway length originally was 3,071' long. I strongly suggest you get the newest version of Airports from Baja Bush Pilots. Hanselman's 'Air Baja!' c1998 gives the length as 2,270'...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 2-15-2005 at 08:38 AM

Amen Bruce.
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2005 at 10:45 AM

Bruce, I hope you'll understand that when I need to post something I won't be checking in with you to determine for me if it's appropriate or not. But that's not to deny you the right to chime in, as you do all the time, go right ahead and chime, mate.

Mike, you've got Bruce pretty well impressed. Easy task.
With some people all it takes is to call yourself "Captain". Albeit, of a single engine airplane, which you would have us all believe is the only way to stay alive, given that well known axiom "the second engine, oops, I mean 'mill', is the one that takes you to the scene of the crash"

Aside from my thirty five years pilot and air traffic control experience, I have a bullchit detector, that goes off whenever you pop off.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 2-15-2005 at 02:00 PM
hey Nikon - ok , yur right....

:lol::lol::lol: i am full of it....

sure would hate to be going through life though as the sourpuss you apparently are.....come on, lighten up.....you'll, live longer - single or twin!

And i commend you for your service as a controller, they have a tough job - some do it well and some can be real pinheads at times....but i give them a pass cause i know it's stressful as hell.

Frigatebird
Nomad

Mood: Soaring

[*] posted on 2-15-2005 at 08:13 PM
Mexican Aviation regs

prohibit dogfighting. :spingrin:

Avatar courtesy of Herb :tumble:
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 12:04 PM
Nikon-For your Bu--sh-t Detector!

On Takeoff from Alameda Navel Air Station in a Neptune P2V climb to 500 Feet, feather the left engine and do a Slow Roll under the Bay Bridge.

BS?

Skeet/Loreto
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 04:00 PM
Nikon

Thought I might raise some good info from your meter. Us ole Farts have to have something to do on theses windy Days.

The event I noted occurred on April6th ,1953 with the Aircraft being driven by a Pilot Named Sandusky out of FaeTuPac North island, San diego. I was the Flight Engineer.

Would hope some of the Pilots would start some Posts on Airplane Experiences.

Skeet/Loreto
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 04:01 PM
Nikon

Thought I might raise some good info from your meter. Us ole Farts have to have something to do on theses windy Days.

The event I noted occurred on April6th ,1953 with the Aircraft being driven by a Pilot Named Sandusky out of FaeTuPac North island, San diego. I was the Flight Engineer.

Skeet/Loreto
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto

Skeet/Loreto

Skeeter, that's plausible. Given sufficient airspeed, it's like what Bob Hoover did in his Shrike every Sunday.
Your idea for a "How I nearly bought the farm" (I'm sure you know where that term came from) is a good one, but worthy of its own thread.

Be sure to express some appreciation for the humor shown here before you leave, though. The guy put a lot of work into it, even attending the Bruce Leech Academy of Spelling.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 2-17-2005 at 07:18 AM
thx for the fond memory Nikon.

i count myself very fortunate to have seen Hoover do that routine at Reno one year B$ he quit doing airshows after the feds trumped up a safety issue and yanked his medical. I believe Bob Hoover to be the worlds greatest living pilot, i think even Yeager has said the same thing. for the un initiated nomads here:

Hoover would, after some air work with one engine cut - rolls, loops etc, climb it like a home sick angel, cut the no. 2, then using enertia, trading airspeed for altitude and vice versa, perform 3 full loops then land and taxi right to the X'd out spot at front show row center - without ever re starting either engine on that Aero Commander/Rockwell Shrike. An amazing feat of skill and precise timing. He was 75 the year i saw him do it. I guess , from his biography, he used to do things in a B 25 at age 22 that the engineers said were impossible......then simply collect $$$ at the bar later, what an amazing guy!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.