Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Eagles sue Hotel California
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 08:44 AM
Eagles sue Hotel California

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/eagles-sue-hotel-california-150...

excerpt----
REUTERS - The Eagles have filed a lawsuit accusing the owners of a Mexico hotel of using the name "Hotel California," arguably the band's most famous song, without permission.

In a complaint filed late Monday, the Eagles said owners of the 11-room Todos Santos hotel in Baja California Sur "actively encourage" guests to believe the hotel is associated with the band, in order to sell t-shirts and other merchandise, and make guests feel welcome.

This allegedly included piping "Hotel California" and other Eagles songs through the hotel sound system, and selling t-shirts in that refer to the hotel as "legendary," resulting in apparent confusion among many guests who posted online reviews.

The Eagles also noted that the defendant Hotel California Baja LLC has applied with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to register the Hotel California name.

"Defendants lead U.S. consumers to believe that the Todos Santos Hotel is associated with the Eagles and, among other things, served as the inspiration for the lyrics in 'Hotel California,' which is false," the complaint said.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 09:13 AM

Don's running low on cash again......
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 09:17 AM

The Hotel California was in business there LONG before the Eagles formed a band!

That the hotel made the claim connecting them to the band is wrong, however.

There are many Hotel Californias in Baja.

http://libraries.ucsd.edu/speccoll/baja/gulick/m91-72-02.htm...
Hotel California, Todos Santos on April 18, 1957

Hotel California 1957.jpg - 46kB

[Edited on 5-2-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 09:28 AM

Looks like the owners, doing business as "Hotel California Baja LLC", have plans to use the name "Hotel California" on more than their hotel and make it a brand name for:

Fragrances, perfumes, eau de toilette, essential oils for personal use, perfume oils; toiletries and cosmetics, eyewear, eyeglasses, sunglasses; frames, lenses and protective cases for eyewear, eyeglasses, and sunglasses; eyewear accessories…

https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/hotel-california-baja-l...

[Edited on 5-2-2017 by SFandH]
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 10:26 AM

The album cover of Hotel California is actually a picture of the Beverly Hills Hotel. ...Maybe the Hotel sued the Eagles. :lol:

Here's a picture of the hotel in 1925. They've since changed the exterior to a facade that barely deserves a yawn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beverly_Hills_Hotel#/media...
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 10:32 AM

what would the "dude" (big lebowski) say?:coolup:
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 11:35 AM

Just another example of what a litigious society we are. I like the Eagles but this is just stupid.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 12:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

He would say. ....." FU*K it MAN, I hate the Eagles "

[Edited on 5-2-2017 by Paco Facullo]
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 03:08 PM

I guess The Eagles have slowed down their touring schedule and need to supplement their fat royalty checks through frivolous lawsuits.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 03:43 PM

Seems like whatever article I read about Todos and Hotel California, reference is made to the Eagles song. Link between the two is denied by the hotel but my impression is they are creating a mystique possibility that the song is about this hotel.

Hotel California has La Coronela restaurant and a new bistro SANTO VINO, with celebrity chef Dany Lamote. It really is a happening place. Might be a coincidence that the Tequila's Sunrise Bar and Grill is across the street.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 03:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

He would say. ....." FU*K it MAN, I hate the Eagles "

[Edited on 5-2-2017 by Paco Facullo]

"I had a rough night, and I hate the flocking Eagles, man." Here, enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JlmvtAHhnc

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 04:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Looks like the owners, doing business as "Hotel California Baja LLC", have plans to use the name "Hotel California" on more than their hotel and make it a brand name for:

Fragrances, perfumes, eau de toilette, essential oils for personal use, perfume oils; toiletries and cosmetics, eyewear, eyeglasses, sunglasses; frames, lenses and protective cases for eyewear, eyeglasses, and sunglasses; eyewear accessories…

https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/hotel-california-baja-l...

Yeah, the pending trademark application (the others on that page were abandoned) seeks to cover even more than that, including clothing, footwear, jewelry, leather goods, luggage, hats, you name it, and to sell goods and services with that trademark throughout the U.S. and worldwide. This has zero to do with the hotel, and everything to do with a crap ton of merchandising revenue.

https://trademarks.justia.com/868/22/hotel-86822138.html

Interestingly, the Eagles filed their own trademark application the day before they filed their opposition to the Hotel California's application. This is far from a slam dunk either way.

https://trademarks.justia.com/873/06/hotel-87306414.html

[Edited on 5-2-2017 by SFandH]

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 04:54 PM

So, if I understand correctly, the hotel was built in 1957 and was indeed around waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before the song was written?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 04:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
So, if I understand correctly, the hotel was built in 1957 and was indeed around waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before the song was written?

eagle's formed in 1971....hotel california came out in 1977 so yeah....waaaaaaaaaaaay before.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 05:02 PM

I was under the impression that the hotel was initially connected to the church next door and housed priests/nuns...as I was told that when I stayed there in the late 80's for $25/night.

But then, most things people say are just repetitions of what others tell them or they have heard....

Damn, life is full of fake news.....eh?! :(

Don't believe everything you think....
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 05:47 PM
The Eagles Sue Hotel California

I was always annoyed when people would connect the two. Sorta ruined the song for me. Maybe it will slow down the traffic from Cabo of people coming to take selflies in front of it, in the middle of the street.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-music-eagles-hotelcaliforn...

Edit: I see it was already posted in General Discussion. Sorry for the re-post.

[Edited on 5-3-2017 by Beagle]
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 05:54 PM

They should be grateful. Where else can you hear their music droning on and on, over and over? Free advertising.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 06:01 PM

The Eagles have spent 40 years making music and building a brand that is know all over the world. The Hotel California has been playing off the whole 'connection' and it was cute until they tried to trademark it. I have no problem with the Eagles trying to protect what they have built. Any responsible business owner would and should do the same. Kind of like when Disney sues a day care center for painting pictures of Goofy and Mickey walls.

I remember when the Eagles did their acoustic version of the song Hotel California. The happiest guy on the planet was the poor sap working the gift shop at the hotel around that time. He at least had two songs to listen to over and over and over and over and over. Even if they were the same song. He told me the owners would not allow him to play anything else. Ever.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 06:15 PM

I'm with you elgatoloco. If this was just about the hotel I'd say the Eagles were being frivolous; but, it looks like the hotel owners are planning a line of products named with an expression that is clearly associated with the Eagles and their hit song.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 06:52 PM

Based on the hotel name coming before the song, it appears the songwriter ripped-off the hotel name, eh?

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
5-2-2017 at 08:31 PM
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
5-2-2017 at 08:31 PM
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.