Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Eagles sue Hotel California
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 09:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  
Back in the mid 90's we stopped in at the Hotel California for a drink. Just a couple of grey ponytailed gringos enjoying a drink too. For a half hour or so all that was played on the sound system was Eagles songs, over and over. When we paid our bill I asked the bartender if he ever got tired of the Eagles music, his response, "it hasn't been so bad since they came out with the new album". We had a laugh and went on our way.

(1994 they released When Hell Freezes Over, after years of no albums.)
In the mid-nineties the previous owner told anyone who would listen that it was in fact the famous hotel from the song, the fact that the hotel failed and ended up as a run down boarded up hulk is evidence that the current popularity of the hotel has little to do with the name association to the song. The current owners bought the hotel in 2001 and made a considerable investment in refurbishing the hotel and turning it into one of the central attractions of the town, I believe that most of the people who visit the hotel neither believe that it is associated with the Eagles, nor care. The popularity of the hotel has been very beneficial for the town providing many good paying jobs.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 09:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  
Don't forget about Tequila Sunrise, directly across the street. They could maybe just sue the whole block.

Edit: I see Lee already pointed that out.

But if anything was named after a song….

[Edited on 5-3-2017 by Beagle]
That is the business of the former owner who is still shamelessly trying to cash in on the myth.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 09:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Ya hafta wonder where this forum is going when this thread gets 29 replies and 833 views. Isn't there anything better going on?

Guess there's nothing here that interests you. Ever been to the hotel? Do you know Todos? Everything there. Use to travel to La Paz for provisions. Now go no further than Todos. Chose LP for supplies over Cabo because of the old road. It was never a fun and relaxed drive. Now, it's an autobahn and part of Paradise.

I love the Hotel California and the food really is great. Don't get out much and haven't been there is a couple years. Out of town guests love it there too.

Many times, mostly many years ago. Todos Santos (not just Todos) like much of the Baja California peninsula lost its appeal for me with the influx of gringos and crime. We have now evolved to the Eagles suing Hotel California and shootouts in San Jose del Cabo as being headliners. No thanks...not for me. Have fun shopping at Costco.
Since it has lost it's appeal for you, why do you feel the need to participate in a Baja forum? Just to constantly put your negative two cents worth in? And yes, I do enjoy shopping at Costco, and driving there on the nice new safe four lane highway. I have been here over 25 years and still haven't had to dodge a bullet. I really used to enjoy southern California back when it had orange orchards, and it's not for me now, but I don't feel the need to go on a travel forum for southern California and denigrate it.

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 06:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Ya hafta wonder where this forum is going when this thread gets 29 replies and 833 views. Isn't there anything better going on?

Guess there's nothing here that interests you. Ever been to the hotel? Do you know Todos? Everything there. Use to travel to La Paz for provisions. Now go no further than Todos. Chose LP for supplies over Cabo because of the old road. It was never a fun and relaxed drive. Now, it's an autobahn and part of Paradise.

I love the Hotel California and the food really is great. Don't get out much and haven't been there is a couple years. Out of town guests love it there too.

Many times, mostly many years ago. Todos Santos (not just Todos) like much of the Baja California peninsula lost its appeal for me with the influx of gringos and crime. We have now evolved to the Eagles suing Hotel California and shootouts in San Jose del Cabo as being headliners. No thanks...not for me. Have fun shopping at Costco.
Since it has lost it's appeal for you, why do you feel the need to participate in a Baja forum? Just to constantly put your negative two cents worth in? And yes, I do enjoy shopping at Costco, and driving there on the nice new safe four lane highway. I have been here over 25 years and still haven't had to dodge a bullet. I really used to enjoy southern California back when it had orange orchards, and it's not for me now, but I don't feel the need to go on a travel forum for southern California and denigrate it.

Oh darn. I forgot you have to be a part of the new baja elite to post here.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 07:43 AM

http://st2.depositphotos.com/2117297/11498/i/950/depositphot...

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 10:13 AM

Oh darn. I forgot you have to be a part of the new baja elite to post here.
You said yourself that Baja "is not for you" so why troll a Baja forum? There are other forums for Baja and Mexico haters.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 11:14 AM

Give it a rest Monoloco. The guy just stated his opinion that he is tiring of Mexico, and thinks threats like this one are boring.

He is entitled to his opinion, and I don't really see it as degrading Mexico. Believe me, I know degrading posts of Mexico when I see it.

Now Monloco, why have you suddenly decided to monopolize this thread?

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 04:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Give it a rest Monoloco. The guy just stated his opinion that he is tiring of Mexico, and thinks threats like this one are boring.

He is entitled to his opinion, and I don't really see it as degrading Mexico. Believe me, I know degrading posts of Mexico when I see it.

Now Monloco, why have you suddenly decided to monopolize this thread?

Because I have lived here for a long time and know a bit about the issue and don't like seeing a bunch of false info spouted about a business that has been very good for the town.

joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 07:33 PM

Because I have lived here for a long time and know a bit about the issue and don't like seeing a bunch of false info spouted about a business that has been very good for the town.

IS someone against your little town?

or

Is did a guy in Ensenada using a name to sell stuff up in the usa. Oh, law suit in California Alta about imported goods, selling on someone elses fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01XyozcFLXA

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  

or

Is did a guy in Ensenada using a name to sell stuff up in the usa. Oh, law suit in California Alta about imported goods, selling on someone elses fame.

A guy in Ensenada? Actually, a woman in Pescadero, who does much for her community owns it.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2017 at 09:46 AM

or

We saw Paul Simon in concert last year up in Bezerkley. Great band. He didn't do that song but he did a lot of others. All the hits. Good times. :dudette:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 03:17 PM

e]

According to the luv2fish post above the current owners are part of the Hussong family? "The two Ruskie brothers that own Papas and Beer and half of Ensenada and a big part of San Quintin are the owners of The Hotel California. Hussong is the name. "

[Edited on 5-6-2017 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 03:52 PM

When I first visited the Hotel California in Todos Santos a few years back, I wanted to dislike it because of its ostentatious presence on the main drag, but I soon began to realize that it has earned its prominent place downtown. I wasn't there during the days when the previous owner played up the supposed Eagles connection, so I can't speak to that. Instead, I enjoyed the laid-back vibe at the bar, the banter with the bilingual staff, and the lush courtyard that also served as a concert space. The Todos Santos Music Festival has cemented that positive impression over the years.

The lawsuit seems to be more about licensing merchandise for sale outside of the hotel and not the hotel itself. I don't know enough about copyright law - particularly when it spans international borders - to comment on it.

[Edited on 5-6-2017 by pauldavidmena]

[Edited on 5-6-2017 by pauldavidmena]

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
kboy24

[*] posted on 5-8-2017 at 05:12 AM

I Like the Dude:cool:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 09:04 AM

I'm with the band. The Hotel is clearly trying to monetize more than a hotel and use the Eagles as a marketing tool. That's wrong.

Besides, "Hotel California" is clearly a state of mind, a lifestyle, not an actual place in the song.

The Eagles are just protecting themselves from others using their fame as a marketing tool. They dont need the money. Even beyond being "only" the fourth best selling band ever, I am fairly sure that nobody has made more money touring than the Eagles. I was in NY two summers ago and the CHEAPEST seats in the house (MSG) were hundreds of dollars. The Eagles are rather infamous for being the most expensive concert seat. By far, really.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 01:38 PM

A number of members here have said the "Eagles" are not after any money, but are just protecting their fame, or trademark, and couldn't care less about any money.

Well, that could be part of their motivation for filling a lawsuit against the hotel, but according to the actual lawsuit, they are after money, and then some! The Eagles band, wants the whole enchilada, and all the revenue the band allegedly claim "The Hotel California" has allegedly made off the Eagles band name.

The Eagles, wants recover all profits that Defendants have obtained from these activities, which include t-shirts, posters, sweatshirts, keychains, and a whole host of other things the Eagles band claims. They also reasonable attorney's fees, injunctive relief, damages, and other relief.

I understand the Eagles band, is like a rabid dog, and often goes after companies, they claim are infringing on their "Eagles" name.

Who knows if the "Eagles" will win the lawsuit, because that Hotel California, was there in 1950, before the "Eagles band was started in 1971. The Eagles attorney's claim, the "Hotel California' had a name change to "Todos Santos Hotel” and seems to be implying that discounts any attempt to say the "Hotel California" was there before the Eagles band.

And yes, the "Eagles" said "Hotel California" is clearly a state of mind, and not a place. Could that weaken the Eagles legal case?

How about the Eagles, using Yelp reviews, to try to prove, the "Hotel California" is trying to deceive the pubic into believing there is a link between the Eagles, and the Hotel California?

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 01:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
e]

According to the luv2fish post above the current owners are part of the Hussong family? "The two Ruskie brothers that own Papas and Beer and half of Ensenada and a big part of San Quintin are the owners of The Hotel California. Hussong is the name. "

[Edited on 5-6-2017 by durrelllrobert]

well I don't claim to know who owns it NOW....but the lawsuit names John ans Debbie Stewart originally from canada as the culprits that were ripping off the bands fame. all the boy's want them to do is knock that chit off!
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 02:09 PM

The lawsuit mentions Debbie and John Stewart, who brought the hotel in 2001, and allegedly took the first steps to rip off the "Eagles" but the lawsuit also says there has been name and ownership changes through the years.

The Defendants are Hotel California Baja LLC, a California limited liability company, and collectively, they are Doe Defendants, as in the name John Doe, to be named later. That's common in lawsuit, naming Doe Defendants, and then adding names later.

Who knows if Debbie and John Stewart, are even still involved in the hotel.

The Eagles want to crush, break and bankrupt their legal opponents. The has-been Eagles band deserves to lose.

[Edited on 5-9-2017 by JoeJustJoe]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 03:11 PM

[rquote]=1078032&tid=86430&author=luv2fishThe two Ruskie brothers that own Papas and Beer and half of Ensenada and a big part of San Quintin are the owners of The Hotel California. Hussong is the name.[/rquote]

Hussong........German heritage. Not Russian.

[Edited on 5-9-2017 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 08:22 PM

Sorry, JJJ, but you just have so little credibility with your arguments, past and present. I have no time to pick them apart............and no reason to. Better to let you twist in the virtual wind, from your own rope.

The "has-been" Eagles will continue to sell millions of records for the foreseeable future, the same way the Beatles have sold millions since they broke up in '69. They are that iconic, whether one likes them or not.

Of course they are suing for monetary damages. It's motivation for the defendants to settle out of court.

Man, I wouldnt want to go up against the attorneys that the Eagles can afford. Henley might be worth a few hundred million. Frey's estate, equal in value, will probably support him in anything he does.

Steamroller Blues for the Hotel CA.

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.