Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: US Bank and Pesos
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 07:32 PM
US Bank and Pesos

Good day. I would like to pick up some pesos prior to entering Mexico but I believe that we will be crossing before any exchange houses are open near the border (early morning). Are there any banks on the US side where I can withdraw pesos? If so, please provide some details. Thanks amigos....

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 07:40 PM

There is a wells fargo ATM right on the border on the US side, but it won't give you pesos. You might be able to get some at Costco in Chula Vista, but it sounds like you will be earlier than they open.

ATMs all over TJ.

ATM after the last toll heading into Ensenada.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 07:49 PM

There is an ATM in the Mexican Aduana (Customs)/INM (Immigration) building at the San Ysidro crossing. Building should be open 24/7
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 08:03 PM

Ask your local bank if they keep pesos on hand, or can get them for you before you leave for your trip.

There are two Wells Fargo branches in the town in northern CA where I spend my winters. One of them keeps 6000 pesos on hand, and can supply more with advance notice.

I have not heard of recent problems, but last November and December it was a real crapshoot around Mulege and Loreto getting pesos with atm cards or exchanging greenbacks.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bajavanadu
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 09:24 AM

Costco in chula vista.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 09:48 AM

He said early morning... and Costco is not open early.

Yes, a U.S. bank can get pesos if ordered ahead. Bank of America often has them on hand. There are also the money exchange places in the mall, too (not the best exchange rate)...

YOU CAN USE DOLLARS everywhere in Baja. Some gas stations offer a better rate than the exchange places, too!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 11:02 AM

last exit...cambio is open 24/7
window is in the back
i'm pretty sure its called baja best insurance/currency exchange

the cambio at otay mesa will only give you a little for importation
it's on the Mexican side

don't think you can use dollars everywhere in baja...not these days

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 03:39 PM

Most Exchange rates from Us banks not good.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 03:47 PM

If you have time you can order from your bank (well at least you can from Bank of America. Rate will be a little less than market and a $7.50 charge. It takes a few days. For the me convenience is worth it.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 03:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

don't think you can use dollars everywhere in baja...not these days

Merchants certainly prefer pesos and the ones that take dollars (not all of them) will beat you up on the exchange rate.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 04:16 PM
good info!

We are getting ready for 7 or 8 days in Baja and usually just exchange enough dollars near the border, and that only for gasoline purchases. So, if Pesos are easier or preferred than this is good to know.

Our local Wells Fargo only has $200 (American) worth on hand - but there is no service fee and two days ago the exchange rate was about 16.5 to the dollar.

John

[Edited on 5-3-2017 by John M]
sancho
Ultra Nomad

question.gif posted on 5-3-2017 at 04:45 PM

San Ysidro Cambio, at least the one I checked, today was
buying dlls at 17.828. Not sure the rate matters much for the
few day, week trip

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 04:52 PM

stop here before you cross...open24/7

pesosins.jpg - 191kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 05:10 PM

It was 17.70:1 at the Calexico Casa de Cambio (Auto Zone parking lot) last month.

Ensenada Pemex stations were giving 18:1 or better (per signs in front) on my way home last week. THEY LIKE DOLLARS in Baja. Maybe Baja norte more than Baja Sur? The locals use dollars for purchases... see it all the time and if businesses give you more pesos for a dollar than a bank or money exchange, why not? Just have a tiny solar powered calculator to double check.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 06:22 PM

boy, I had no idea one could order pesos from a regular bank! Very cool info.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 06:42 PM

The difference between a great rate of exchange, and a poor one is still chump change when you are looking at launching a new adventure! I like the convenience of starting out with at least a few thousand pesos before I hit the border.

The journey is the destination, and not having to find a cambio where and when I cross gives me options. My trips are loosely structured and scheduled, so my seed money is there for back up if I can't find a functioning ATM.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 07:17 AM

I opened a free account at BofA to get large amounts of pesos when needed. Otherwise I just use ATMs. BofA was not too bad in terms of service but I had to very closely look at the paperwork because the clerks behind the windows really don't do it very often and they screwed up twice only ordering a small amount because they didn't understand the process, including the bank manager. For example, I told them I wanted to convert $2,500 US and they ended up only ordering 2,500 pesos! I've since opened a couple other free bank accounts with atm cards and just put adequate money in each of them, submit a travel notice, and make multiple withdrawals at the atms near Home Depot in Ensenada. Very convenient because there are several banks right there, including inside Home Depot.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.