Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Juevos Diablos
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 09:30 PM
Juevos Diablos

Years and years of pot-lucks, this one is a keeper. I've made hundreds of 'em, and rarely if ever took any back home to the camp. Usually ended up making a few extra and leaving 'em home to make sure I had snacks for the next day.

A recent trick I learned is how to boil eggs correctly; get the pot of water at full boil, then add eggs w/ slotted spoon, stand close on high heat until water returns to boil, reduce heat and slow-boil for 12 minutes, then quickly cool and ice eggs for at least 15-20 minutes, then dry and refrigerate. Works for me.

Recipe
to the yolk mash add:
mayonnaise, a little salt, and Beaver brand sweet hot mustard
bottom (white part) green onions, thinly sliced, and a leetle bit garlic powder. Fork in well. Amounts vary with portions.

when piped into the egg white halves (w/ plastic bag, corner cut, or just spoon in) garnish with tops of green onions (green parts thinly sliced) and dimple yolk mix on top, and place a drop of Cholula hot sauce on each, or Sriracha, your choice.. I prefer the Cholula. Sprinkle w/ paprika for color, and stand by for magic..... they disappear before the main course, guaranteed.
Enjoy ! :cool:

[Edited on 5-6-2019 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 04:40 AM

Sounds delicious. Never thought about spicing up deviled eggs.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 05:59 PM

Huevos de diablo, no J in Huevos........

I hear the whales song
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 07:05 PM

Thank you, grouper. Changed it for you. They're still just as tasty. :coolup:

[Edited on 5-5-2017 by bajabuddha]

86 - 45*

Daventec
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2019 at 11:27 AM

Nice! I'll cook one for my wife, one of these days.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-6-2019 at 12:48 PM

ONE?,ONE?
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2019 at 08:35 AM

bajabuddha going to try this and thank you for the hardboiled egg secret!!!!

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 5-8-2019 at 09:06 AM

Lemme know how it works, CM.... btw, boil-time depends on size of eggs. Extra large needs maybe 15 minutes. Also, older eggs peel easier than super fresh ones.

Enjoy! :coolup:

86 - 45*

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2019 at 10:31 AM

You don't need to boil eggs that long. 5-7 minutes is fine. Then just let them sit in the hot water till cooled down.

John
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2019 at 10:55 AM

A friend of mine who is a chef and owns a restaurant in San Luis Obispo boils his eggs for 15 minutes.

I used to boil them for 5 minutes and they seemed OK. Now I boil them a little longer.

[Edited on 6-13-2019 by TMW]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-13-2019 at 11:19 AM

I hear it is a great restaurant! I was just chatting with someone who helps at Mission San Luis Obispo (who wanted to know about the missions in Baja). I mentioned Phil's restaurant (as he took a photo that is in my book of Visita de San Pablo).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 6-13-2019 at 12:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
You don't need to boil eggs that long. 5-7 minutes is fine. Then just let them sit in the hot water till cooled down.

John

Fine, you do 'em your way, John. Another way is to put eggs in water, bring to boil, then turn off heat and let stand covered 20 min's. Cada loco con su tema.

The reason for boiling - then ice bath is to cause the eggs inside to reduce in size a tiny bit hence making easier to peel. I've done it all 3 ways... have you? No yolk discoloration, and always done to a T. Or an E?

86 - 45*

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2019 at 12:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

Fine, you do 'em your way, John. Another way is to put eggs in water, bring to boil, then turn off heat and let stand covered 20 min's. Cada loco con su tema.

The reason for boiling - then ice bath is to cause the eggs inside to reduce in size a tiny bit hence making easier to peel. I've done it all 3 ways... have you? No yolk discoloration, and always done to a T. Or an E?

Surprise, surprise, surprise. I have prepared hard cooked eggs in multiple ways. Including your way. Enjoy. I don't think there really is a wrong way to do them.

John

[Edited on 6-13-2019 by John Harper]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.