BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crossing the border with a jeep on a flat bed trailer
koko

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 08:59 AM
Crossing the border with a jeep on a flat bed trailer

I'm planning on leaving my jeep at my house in Ensenada and I'm taking it down on a trailer. Any problems I should look for when crossing the border. I was also planning on loading my truck and the trailer with some used furniture and household goods. Which crossing is the best for this (SY, Otay or TKT)
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 09:36 AM

Otay. Have all registrations.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 11:57 AM

Correct. Registration is required for the Jeep and trailer. The furniture will be inspected and who knows if they will place a duty on that stuff. Best if you can show some kind of proof the stuff is used to avoid duty.
koko

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 12:17 PM

the jeep is in my name but I'm borrowing the trailer from a friend so its not in my name. Is that a problem or just depends on the mood of the border inspector
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 12:36 PM

i tow my prerunner down several times a year and have never been asked about the flatbed. maybe a copy of the trailer reg. just for backup.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 12:44 PM

A letter of permission from the registered owner would be good to have, especially if you go to a notary and have it stamped. Most private mail facilities can do that for a small fee.

The trailer should be declared on your insurance policy as well.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 01:06 PM

yup, we were asked for the registration for the jeep and the flatbed trailer in Jan. when we crossed.
But, we were coming in San Luis south of Yuma...
And correct have mexico insurance on all 3 vehicles....

good luck

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by koko  
the jeep is in my name but I'm borrowing the trailer from a friend so its not in my name. Is that a problem or just depends on the mood of the border inspector

Your Mexican auto insurance must be ammended to include that you are towing. Additional insurance is needed to cover the trailer and Jeep while towed and maybe for the trailer when it is unattached to your vehicle, for theft. A notorized permission slip to use it, and registration for the trailer would be wise, too.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 01:51 PM

going in the trailer is no problem as long as its registered...

coming back to the usa...you might want to have a letter of permission to use it

I saw a guy awhile back that had to go to secondary for having a "borrowed" trailer...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 04:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Your Mexican auto insurance must be ammended to include that you are towing. Additional insurance is needed to cover the trailer and Jeep while towed and maybe for the trailer when it is unattached to your vehicle, for theft. A notorized permission slip to use it, and registration for the trailer would be wise, too.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Your Mexican auto insurance must be ammended to include that you are towing. Additional insurance is needed to cover the trailer and Jeep while towed and maybe for the trailer when it is unattached to your vehicle, for theft. A notorized permission slip to use it, and registration for the trailer wou

MY MEXICAN CARRIER SAYS IF ITS HOOKED TO MY VEHICLE IT'S INSURED
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 04:25 PM

OH, GREAT!
All the policies I have known before need to amended if you are towing unless your policy was originally made with a trailer attached to your vehicle.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 04:36 PM

Far's the trailer, rig and insurance goes, the age-old adage still applies: "Better to have and not need than need and not have". Might cost a few extra sheckles, so cover all bases and base all coverage. Have all CURRENT registrations, note from mom, the works. Be safe, not sorry.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 04:53 PM

I'm planning on leaving my jeep at my house in Ensenada and I'm taking it down on a trailer.

I wouldn't tell them you're leaving the jeep in Mexico at a house you own. Maybe I'm wrong but that might cause some problems. I'm thinking they might require you to go through an importation process. Don't know though.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 05:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I'm planning on leaving my jeep at my house in Ensenada and I'm taking it down on a trailer.

I wouldn't tell them you're leaving the jeep in Mexico at a house you own. Maybe I'm wrong but that might cause some problems. I'm thinking they might require you to go through an importation process. Don't know though.

We have to assume the OP has a residence visa to live part time in Mexico because we all know that tourists (using an FMM tourist card) must not leave ANY property in Mexico when they end their vacation! :light:

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 06:29 PM

Really,...you can't legally leave any property in Baja? I know several people that leave their RV, boat or beater vehicle in storage when they head north. I don't think any of them have either a RT, or RP.

I wonder if it would make a difference if the boat or vehicle has a TIP?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.