BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Ribera
Mudder

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 10:33 AM
La Ribera

¡Hola! I'm new here, and am hoping to tap the collective knowledge, of Baja Nomad.

I live up here in Canada (West Coast) and If all goes right, we hope to retire and relocate south, soon. We've been to other parts of Mexico, but never Baja. I am looking for someone that has a knowledge of the La Ribera area of BCS. I'm looking to learn about past and recent the history of the area, size and culture of La Ribera, real estate opportunities, restaurants, medical services.........

Regards
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 10:50 AM

Welcome to Baja Nomad!
There are many East Cape Nomads who can get you up to speed. I can only advise on pre-1974 history and especially 1700s area history!

There is a neat cave not far from there, I wrote about a few years ago: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/the_bat_...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 01:36 PM

Hola Mudder:

Hopefully Osprey will chime in as I'd consider him as close to an expert on La Ribera as we have.

I have a house at Lighthouse Point (Punta Arena) about 5 miles south and absolutly love the area. La Ribera is part of what is called the East Cape that runs the Sea of Cortez coast from just north of San Jose del Cabo to La Ventana (more or less, it's a moving target). There are lots of real estate options from the gringo enclaves (us) to houses in the towns of La Ribera, Los Barriles and La Ventana to more rural spots in between. We run the gamut from city power and water to full solar and trucked water.

La Ribera has a very nice restaurant in Vista La Ribera (also a nice place to stay) and several smaller, very tasty taco joints.

We have a health center that I have never used and might be good for minor stuff but Cabo has the new H+ hospital which has rave reviews from users (one I know personally) and several top notch hospitals in La Paz.

La Ribera has one big downside in my opinion. The on again/off again/on again marina project Cabo Riviera. It's been full of promises that have all been broken so far leaving locals holding the bag for unpaid wages and a part finished construction site. It's been through many different owners and has had many iterations. Until they finish something and the locals get paid it's just a pile of sand. Although the semi functioning marina is a nice hurricane hide a way according to friends with boats.

I give it 2 thumbs up and hope to make it a full time residence in a few years. Come on down the water's fine.

Andy
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 04:06 PM

I think you're going to need to visit the area to see what you like and what you don't. There are a bunch of smaller communities on the East Cape, and each has it's own flavor, complete with perks and problems. I'd spend at least a few days exploring Los Barriles, Buena Vista, and La Ribera, and then make a trip down Camino Cabo Este to see the small communities on the East Cape [proper]. This is mostly a dirt road, and you'll probably want to make it a day trip from La Ribera to San Jose Del Cabo. I also recommend checking out San Jose, as this is the hub for the East Cape and likely where you'll do your major shopping.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2017 at 11:48 AM

La Ribera
The "Four Seasons", (licensed the famous name?), hotel/resort is well under way now with 200 construction workers and many more on the way, (was told by engineer friend up to 600 more). Right now most laborers are bused in daily, but rental housing is going up around town. This development includes a golf course and all the other amenities that $$$$ crowd's requires.
At least two new homes are under construction in the adjacent marina project, (Cabo Riviera), and the "new" owners are promising ongoing progress now at the Florida home-dock style development.
Most everybody with equipment in town is busy.

Not long ago La Ribera used to be a quiet coastal fishing community where nobody locked their doors, (not anymore), and everybody knew each other. A place where the ranchers would secure a small place for the kids to go to school now, and then to have a place in the later years closer to the doctor.
I know of multiple burglaries and one home invasion/assault of friends in the last year, and the culprits are well known. Expect more of the same as the worker and support population swells to keep the "development" ball rolling, think CSL. Very few of the laborers are choyeros,(BCS natives), most come from very poor communities in Chiapas, Michoacan, Guerero where there is little or no work.
I have Ribeno friends employed and they are currently happy being employed, but under their breath, they know whats coming. Pero como dicimos en Mexico, "Ni Modo".
If you like what has come to "La Playita", (now Puerto Los Cabos), you might like what is in store for La Ribera. Expect the population to steadily grow, once again with the haves and many many more have nots.

As far as Los Barilles think Palm Springs south. It's all gentrified, less Mexican, more what extranjeros think as Mexican.
There are still great spots along the East Cape, just got to look a bit farther, out of most folk's comfort zone. For how long who knows.

The day I have to put rejas on my windows and lock my doors, I'll consider leaving BCS. Right now with the diminished fishing and other ecological losses, I feel very fortunate to have had been in this spot the last 33 years. I've witnessed more things go away, (don't get me started), and changes in the last 10/15 years than probably has occurred in the last 500. Still very happy here for the moment and glad to call it home.

Depends on what you are looking for Mudder. Like imlost sez, look around, spend some time.
Suerte!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-5-2017 at 12:31 PM

Osprey, has not been in the greatest of health recently, and his voice box is not functioning to well either.

The only way I have been able to communicate with him is by his private e-mail (some of you may have it).

I used to make regular phone calls to him but he is unable to properly speak.

His mind is still functioning normally. I am hoping to see him later this year. Lynda takes good care of him (I don't know what we would do without the wives...mine has saved my life twice now).

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Mudder

[*] posted on 5-5-2017 at 03:48 PM

Thanks for all your input. I've got tons of homework ahead of me. Please keep the information coming.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-5-2017 at 04:19 PM

I can't give you any usable information about living in the East Cape area, because I have only visited there from late October, to early May.

It is my favorite part of the peninsula, but I would want to spend some time there during the summer to see if I could live with the heat and humidity, and what the bugs are like.

I am kind of a wuss about heat, California is too damn hot for me, so I stay in Alaska during the summer.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2017 at 10:41 PM

Mudder, I'm Osprey and I just sent you a U 2 U, a private message (see the symbol up by your login).
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 10:33 AM

If development of that resort finally really takes off, it's unlikely La Ribera will remain the traditional village that it is now - Something to consider.

Another thing to consider that the developers seem to ignore, is that La Ribera is located right next to a huge arroyo that is subject to flooding and silt transfer to the lower areas. The locals deal with it, but not sure the $$$$ people will tolerate it as much, especially when it fills in a portion of that marina each year. I haven't been watching it, but I'm guessing they'll be constantly dredging. Seems like they located the marina in the worst place imaginable.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 10:55 AM

Hi, there and welcome,

We are Canadian snow birds and have enjoyed many years wintering in Los Barriles, but not the changes over the past decade. Many of the legendary Baja characters have passed on only to be replaced by new generations with unlimited resources. Some say that the change has brought prosperity to the citizens, but it doesn't seem to have been for all to me. the beauty of the place has been tarnished by the clatter of the massive annual migration of my flock.

There is good advice above and I would recommend spending some time adventuring in Baja before landing in any one place. I think the old charm of the East Cape was over about 10 years ago.

Best wishes,
W

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 08:43 AM

You can collect all the information in the world but until you actually live in a place for awhile, it is very difficult in Mexico to find "the Spot". Wise old sages who have spent a lot of time here all recommend that you rent some place for a year while you look around, talk to a million and a half people, and actually see how you fit into the community and surrounds. The biggest mistake I have seen people make is to come to an area, fall in love with it and buy a property, start building or buy an existing house, and then find out that there are little things that keep getting in the way of their enjoyment. Even though I have live in Baja for over 15 years, I did the rental thing for two years when I decided to buy a condo in Rosarito to escape the summer heat of the Santa Rosalia area. It turned out to be time well spent.
Osprey can truly give you the layout, through his eyes, of La Ribera, but the same idea still applies, rent for a year and then decide if it is right for you.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 01:54 PM

What Pescador said..

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 02:45 PM

What chuckie said Pescador said :D
Definitely try living for a year or more as a renter to see if the myriad of issues that will eventually need to be dealt with are 'no-big-woop' for you or something that makes you glad you are able to pack up and move on ...
Whatever you do or decide have a wonderful time exploring .. Mexico for many of us is Magic .. be it mainland or Baja.

bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 02:51 PM

I was in la Ribera in march for a short time I didn't see a whole lot of activity going on. went to the marina area and got kicked out just as quickly they don,t want people just visiting the area, who knows why. I was attempting to get pesos but none were avalible at the atm there. again not a lot of activity going on if there is a hotel being built the guard at the marina was not aware of it, was not happening then according to him. I have been to light house point in the winter as well and if you like sandblasted ankles and legs that's the beach to be on when the winds are blowin. The marina look much the same still just a few slips and nothing being worked on.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.