Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Police assault in Tecate
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 04:43 PM

I only pass through TKT when headed south or north, and have been stopped 5 times. Never paid a dime in mordida, did the ol' Mexican stand-off with 'em. Nothing was ever a worthy bust. In Ensenada I've been stopped 3 times, and all for good measure, I was in the wrong. Gladly paid my fine, twice at the police station.... I deserved it. Third time was the charm; had my EMT sticker and Search and Rescue sticker (County Sherrif's emblem on it) on my truck. The two cops that pulled me over did a little 'confab' at my back bumper, came up and asked me was I in LE. I kinda said "yeah" and they shook my hand and told me to have a nice day. TKT is definitely a gringo / mordida trap. Even if you do everything right you're still subject to a shake-down on any given day.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 06:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  
One ticket, three mordidas out of about 24 stops.

You've been stopped 24 times???????

[Edited on 5-6-2017 by SFandH]

Over the past 20+ years driving in Tijuana. Yes, and have forgotten a few, 24 is a conservative estimate.

My first trip, my first 5 minutes we were pulled over on our way to Bajamar to play golf. I had no idea what was going on. Luckily one of our foursome spoke Spanish. It's not hard to troll up police in Baja. I am a traveler, loggin quite a few miles on Mexico's road.

I got chased leaving a reten the other night. I thought the guy told me to go when he was actually saying pull into secondary. The cop was cool and checked my breath for booze. No problems.

thinking about the times I have been in the wrong and not received a ticket, speeding, driving the wrong way, dui, illegal uturns, parking in taxi zones and window tint. I should donate some $$$ to the police fund where in Mariano.

I got pulled over once for speeding north of ensenada. The cop asked me if I speak Spanish, I really don't and what I speak is very poor. He started chiding me that I do speak and was just trying to get out of the ticket, he didn't give me a ticket.

Tickets in Mexico and even mordidas are pennies to the dollar for what you pay in San Diego. The worst you can ever pay via ticket or mordida is $40. I can handle that.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 06:53 PM

Talk is cheap and life is cheaper in Baja. With your string of bad luck down here chuck, staying away from Baja is the smartest thing you can do.

I love Baja, chuck hates Baja. Why does he post here?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 09:28 PM

I think it is a fake ,you see his right and left hand in video seconds apart without any movement in video , try switching hands with your phone without losing the frame on the subject then is taken to ground by two cops without dropping phone or a cop pinning his right hand and making drop the phone
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 09:35 PM

Sorry Lee, but Chuck has forgotten more about the good times in Baja (not THE Baja) than you will ever remember. Be respectful of those who came before you.

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 10:59 PM

Ol Lee ? He is kinda funny, eh? He seems to have appointed himself the chronicler of my life in Baja. He says I have had a "string of bad luck". In the 50+ years I have hung out in Baja, my second home, I have had ONE experience, fairly recently, which frightened me. The reason I moved back to the US is pretty simple, Health....Age will do that to you. Lee knows pretty much nothing about where I was, what I did except for that one experience which I documented on this forum a few years back..In point of fact, as I have said before, I love Baja and its people, of my generation...whom we are losing fast...I don't have to explain to anyone why I post here. Lee seems to have threatened me a few posts back.....not wise..

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 07:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Ol Lee ? He is kinda funny, eh? He seems to have appointed himself the chronicler of my life in Baja. He says I have had a "string of bad luck". In the 50+ years I have hung out in Baja, my second home, I have had ONE experience, fairly recently, which frightened me. The reason I moved back to the US is pretty simple, Health....Age will do that to you. Lee knows pretty much nothing about where I was, what I did except for that one experience which I documented on this forum a few years back..In point of fact, as I have said before, I love Baja and its people, of my generation...whom we are losing fast...I don't have to explain to anyone why I post here. Lee seems to have threatened me a few posts back.....not wise..

You think you've been threatened, do something about it. Otherwise, enough people here have your number.

Talk is cheap. So is your bogus video. Anything else?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 11:09 AM

The area with the stop sign in Tecate is notorious for snagging drivers who don't come to a complete stop at the stop sign. The advice above to be politely stubborn and not pay the bribe is the best advice. I'm sure I've been stopped more than 20 times over decades. I've only paid a fine one time and that was in Valle de Guadalupe more than 15 years ago when I accidentally ran a stop sign early one Saturday morning in the rain on a dirt road. I was able to get the fine cut in half, but I was guilty and went ahead and paid the fine.

The video is not clear to me. It's hard to know exactly what happened, although I am suspicious of it. My advice is not to roll through stop signs, especially in Tecate. Also keep your speed down and always use your blinkers when changing lanes or turning. Plus I never go through a light that has just turned red. This is a good safety precaution and prevents being stopped by a cop.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  
Also keep your speed down and always use your blinkers when changing lanes or turning. Plus I never go through a light that has just turned red. This is a good safety precaution and prevents being stopped by a cop.

You write like you have experience in Baja. So, I'm surprised that you think obeying the law, under the speed limit, stopping at all signs, etc., ''prevents being stopped by a cop.''

Is that what you think? Play by the rules and you're OK?

F*ck it.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 01:17 PM

Thank you Lee, That's what what was needed...

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 01:23 PM

I'm very surprised when I read about those who have been stopped multiple times in Tecate, TJ, and Ensenada. Over 40+ years I have been in those towns at least 100 times and have never had an encounter of any kind with a Mexican cop. I cross at Tecate regularly going both ways, I drive into Tijuana for dental work and I visit friends in Ensenada. I have passed through Constitucion many times including in the past couple of months. Despite tales of police harassment there and in La Paz I have never been stopped. I did get a ticket in Cabo San Lucas about 20 years ago for not wearing a helmet while riding, cost me $7.00 at the station. I am offering my experience since we only seem to hear from those who have been stopped. Maybe I am just lucky but common sense tells me there may be more involved than that.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 01:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
I'm very surprised when I read about those who have been stopped multiple times in Tecate, TJ, and Ensenada. Over 40+ years I have been in those towns at least 100 times and have never had an encounter of any kind with a Mexican cop. I cross at Tecate regularly going both ways, I drive into Tijuana for dental work and I visit friends in Ensenada. I have passed through Constitucion many times including in the past couple of months. Despite tales of police harassment there and in La Paz I have never been stopped. I did get a ticket in Cabo San Lucas about 20 years ago for not wearing a helmet while riding, cost me $7.00 at the station. I am offering my experience since we only seem to hear from those who have been stopped. Maybe I am just lucky but common sense tells me there may be more involved than that.

Me too. Never been stopped by a cop. I suspect that those frequently stopped are really poor drivers, aggressive drivers, or are doing something that draws attention to them. The world is full of driving infractions, why would a cop stop a driver behaving legally when he has his pick of bad drivers?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 01:35 PM

I used to cross through Tijuana on a fairly regular basis and got stopped (bogus) by the same pair of officers at the same spot for the 3rd time. I suggested they just put a collection box at the border for me to put the money in, and it would save us all time. We all laughed and they wished me a good trip and sent me on my way..This was likely in the 60's when things weren't so tense...;)

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 01:37 PM

Go screw yourself, goathead. Last time I was stopped in TKT the cop said it was because I had a ladder strapped to my 5th wheel ladder on the back end... said it obstructed my license plate. I had deliberately lined up the rungs so it wouldn't at all. He was just after gringo mordida, Sparky. Did you go to Azzhole U. or were you just born that way?

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 01:41 PM

I am amused that more than 2/3 of drivers think they are better than average drivers! :light:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Go screw yourself, goathead. Last time I was stopped in TKT the cop said it was because I had a ladder strapped to my 5th wheel ladder on the back end... said it obstructed my license plate. I had deliberately lined up the rungs so it wouldn't at all. He was just after gringo mordida, Sparky. Did you go to Azzhole U. or were you just born that way?

The situation you describe would obscure the plate from view at an angle. Sounds like the cop was right!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 01:57 PM

Video over on TB showing two Tecate cops roughing up a US driver, after he insists on not paying a fine and going to the police station.

Pathetic. Just pathetic how mad you are at life. It just kills you to see people enjoying Baja.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 02:02 PM

This was likely in the 60's

This explains everything anyone needs to know about you and why you are so miserable and want everyone else to be miserable and not go to Baja.

Most older dudes tell stories of their great Baja adventures, but not you, you are just nasty and don't want to see anyone going and having fun.

What a life you have. The 60's you would be ashamed.

[Edited on 5-7-2017 by JZ]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 02:17 PM

Stop it!!!

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 02:34 PM

Aye Aye Dennis! You da man...

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.