BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: A new Baja Photo Book, coming soon! OMG!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

shocked.gif posted on 5-5-2017 at 05:17 PM
A new Baja Photo Book, coming soon! OMG!!

From Sunbelt Publications...

BOOK DETAILS

Categories: Mexico/Baja California, Natural History/Ecology, Outdoor/Travel/Trail Maps.
Format: Softcover
Pages: 112
Dimensions: 10 x 9
ISBN: 9781941384329
Year Published: 2017
Language: English
Publisher: Sunbelt Publications, Inc.

Baja’s Wild Side
A Photographic Journey Through Baja California’s Pacific Coast Region
Author: Daniel Cartamil, PhD.

COMING SOON!

Baja’s Wild Side features the photography and stories of shark biologist Dr. Daniel Cartamil as he explores Baja California’s Pacific Coast region. Packed with over 100 breathtaking images, this book chronicles a fragile paradise of remote landscapes, wildlife, and cultural treasures on the verge of being overtaken by modern civilization. From the high sierra to ancient cave paintings hidden deep in the desert, to the surf-pounded Pacific, readers will discover Baja California’s little-known “Wild Side.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Daniel Cartamil, PhD.

Dan Cartamil, PhD., is an expert in shark biology at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in La Jolla, CA. His passion for the natural world has led him to 10 years of photographing Baja California's untamed wilderness, particularly the Pacific coast region where he conducts research to protect migrating sharks from over-fishing. Fluent in English and Spanish, Dan has been able to dive deeply into Baja’s spectacular landscapes with the support of locals, including academic colleagues and artisanal fishermen. Dan is also an environmental consultant and avid conservationist — he lives and plays music in Encinitas, California.

BOOK WEB SITE: https://www.bajaswildside.com/

[Edited on 8-27-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-5-2017 at 05:48 PM

Photography is art. Turn by turn directions is lame.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-5-2017 at 07:25 PM

since people are still asking for convoy partners to drive from the border to La Paz turn by turn directions are definitely needed. Artsy pictures are cool, but they don't help you survive the hostile Mexican road environment.

Harald Pietschmann
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 5-5-2017 at 10:26 PM

"Packed with over 100 breathtaking images, this book chronicles a fragile paradise of remote landscapes, wildlife, and cultural treasures on the verge of being overtaken by modern civilization."

This pretty much sums up why I value it so much.

You do love stuffing it in our faces don't you.
I am out. HAVE A NICE DAY!

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2017 at 10:32 PM

I find it interesting that you find joy in trying to popularize places which are beautiful and untouched and where an average Joe can find solitude along the coast without tons of money to fly somewhere exotic and off the map. And, yes, I know this isn't your book. I've seen this guy posting it all over Talk Baja. He's selling out like a ****** to make money. Seriously, the idea BLOWS my mind. I really don't care if people go there, it's the fact that people are trying to publicize it through countless blogs, articles and books to show the masses on how empty it is... Yeah wow, that makes great sense!

The Seven Sisters isn't even about the surf. The surf there is sub-par at best. It is (was) the ability to camp by yourself, enjoy the ocean and your surroundings without others, without traffic and buildings. The ability to surf waves without another soul around was a very special thing, that really is hard to find in this ENTIRE WORLD, let alone a place reached by car for a citizen in North America.

What don't you get about it? You love Baja just as much as many of us do. Why do you want to publicize locations that rarely exist in the world today without development. We all know what happens when somewhere in Mexico becomes popular... greed and money takes over and the place is ruined forever.

Believe me, If I was camped there, and I saw you drive by, I'd wave you down and offer you a beer and food. I enjoy meeting people while out camping. I just find it reckless to promote a place because of its solitude.

[Edited on 5-6-2017 by BooJumMan]

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2017 at 10:44 PM

Who's driven from the turn off before Catavina down to San Jose. Been studying and mapping it out on GE. Wondering how rough/challenging the going is?

We should be able to fly down on bikes, but want to keep the truck in one piece.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 06:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Driving directions?
There are only road details in what I am making. No directions because that implies I am telling people where to go.
I am not, to any specific place that is.
Where you go on these roads are YOUR decision, not mine.

Pretty photos may be more dangerous than uncolorful text at attracting people?

David, that is a cop out. You are calling it a guide book for a reason.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 06:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
I find it interesting that you find joy in trying to popularize places which are beautiful and untouched and where an average Joe can find solitude along the coast without tons of money to fly somewhere exotic and off the map. And, yes, I know this isn't your book. I've seen this guy posting it all over Talk Baja. He's selling out like a ****** to make money. Seriously, the idea BLOWS my mind. I really don't care if people go there, it's the fact that people are trying to publicize it through countless blogs, articles and books to show the masses on how empty it is... Yeah wow, that makes great sense!

The Seven Sisters isn't even about the surf. The surf there is sub-par at best. It is (was) the ability to camp by yourself, enjoy the ocean and your surroundings without others, without traffic and buildings. The ability to surf waves without another soul around was a very special thing, that really is hard to find in this ENTIRE WORLD, let alone a place reached by car for a citizen in North America.

What don't you get about it? You love Baja just as much as many of us do. Why do you want to publicize locations that rarely exist in the world today without development. We all know what happens when somewhere in Mexico becomes popular... greed and money takes over and the place is ruined forever.

Believe me, If I was camped there, and I saw you drive by, I'd wave you down and offer you a beer and food. I enjoy meeting people while out camping. I just find it reckless to promote a place because of its solitude.

[Edited on 5-6-2017 by BooJumMan]

There are 7,500,000,000 people on this planet. Good luck finding solitude on the beach! Until nuclear war or an asteroid cleans up this place, only the uber rich will be able to buy solitude on the beach,...

Get rich and buy a private beach/private island, erect a big wall, hire guards to evict the poor that dare to enjoy nature on your beach!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 06:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
"Packed with over 100 breathtaking images, this book chronicles a fragile paradise of remote landscapes, wildlife, and cultural treasures on the verge of being overtaken by modern civilization."

Guide books and coffee table art books hasten the verging.

[Edited on 5-6-2017 by mtgoat666]
surfinggrandpa71
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 07:52 AM

Maybe its just me, but it sure seems the La Jolla travelers sure enjoy exploiting Baja. The book looks beautiful , but at what price. They find a little piece of paradise and adventure, but return with 25 of their closest amigos the next year. I saw what happened in Scorpion Bay some 15 years ago, it was an embarrassment, especially since I am from the SD area. the whole allure of Baja is the unknown, maybe I'm just old fashioned.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfinggrandpa71  
Maybe its just me, but it sure seems the La Jolla travelers sure enjoy exploiting Baja. The book looks beautiful , but at what price. They find a little piece of paradise and adventure, but return with 25 of their closest amigos the next year. I saw what happened in Scorpion Bay some 15 years ago, it was an embarrassment, especially since I am from the SD area. the whole allure of Baja is the unknown, maybe I'm just old fashioned.

for me the unknown baja was 30-40-50-60 years ago. For my son it was 28 (as a baby) and 15 years ago (living there on his own). I suspect some today, find that same "unknown" allure. Its all relative.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 09:58 AM

I've lost several hallowed places to 'guide books' put out so somebody can make a buck off their own pleasures. However one thing I had to realize and admit to was being what I call, "The Last Pioneer". So many have the NIMBY door-slammer mentality; wanna be the last one in, shut the door, tick-tock... game is locked and no one else can play. Want it to stay just like you found it. One must realize that you were also 'brought' there by someone else, and you're not only part of the problem, but a propagator none the less. It's called progress, and we are all singularly just a grain of sand on this boulder spinning around a star. I believe that if I don't keep my mouth shut, there's no room to complain when I get crowded out. But due to my presence there I just added one more grain of sand to the equation.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 10:44 AM

We all agree that there ain't no secrets! We also agree that this post is just another F-YOU so our resident hero can squeeze some pesos for himself! Nobody is taking anything from our hero as a visitor, it's just when he wants to have it pad his bank account that the meeerda gets deep!

Another book on the market showing turn by turn directions is just excessive! Our resident hero trying to grow his chilito.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 11:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
We all agree that there ain't no secrets! We also agree that this post is just another F-YOU so our resident hero can squeeze some pesos for himself! Nobody is taking anything from our hero as a visitor, it's just when he wants to have it pad his bank account that the meeerda gets deep!

Another book on the market showing turn by turn directions is just excessive! Our resident hero trying to grow his chilito.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 11:05 AM

I just find it reckless to promote a place because of its solitude.

I like that statement. Reckless and irrational.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 11:31 AM

The great thing about the USA is the public lands we protect so we and future generations can experience the wilds. Unfortunately, Mexico has not put aside many public lands. Cabo would be desirable today if half had been put aside before developers ruined it. And even more unfortunate, trump and GOP stooges for resource extraction corporations are trying to destroy the USA success in protecting OUR public lands. Sad!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

I just find it reckless to promote a place because of its solitude.

I like that statement. Reckless and irrational.

I am fine promoting a place for it's solitude, as long as the land is protected so it maintains it's solitude.

I think wildcoast has been creating conservation easements along the 7 sisters coast,... hopefully conservation will be successful in the face of guidebooks hawked to the hoards in the the socal suburbs.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 12:09 PM

Yes, the 'hoards' here in socal are so just waiting for a guidebook so they can flood into Mexico. If only a guidebook existed so they could cross into Mexico and destroy its solitude!!! :lol:
Yep, that's what keeps all those ugly Americans from going to Mexico and driving a hundred dirt road miles to a beach without any services!

don't stop now, only 20 to go! :yes:
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 12:24 PM

Yes, the 'hoards' here in socal are so just waiting for a guidebook so they can flood into Mexico. If only a guidebook existed so they could cross into Mexico and destroy its solitude!!! :lol:

Certainly travelers are inspired to go places by the travel books they read. Well, maybe not by all the travel books they read.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 12:40 PM

Our position is set in stone. We are the last of those who venture down a 60 mile dirt road. We dont need a map. We dont make money on a book with up to the minute directions.

Not taking anything from our resident hero except the adventure he forgot exists for the people who might look down that 60 mile road when they pucker up and go.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.