Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Monte Ceniza Nature Reserve
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 01:00 AM
Monte Ceniza Nature Reserve

TERRA PENINSULAR | APRIL 24, 2017

The Monte Ceniza Nature Reserve was certified as a Natural Protected Area, in the category of Area Voluntarily Destined for Conservation, that certification was managed through SEMARNAT and CONANP, environmental authorities in Mexico.

The Monte Ceniza Nature Reserve has an area of 1984.26 acres and it is located in San Quintín Bay, this reserve is protected and managed by Terra Peninsular

[Edited on 5-9-2017 by fishbuck]

Monte-Ceniza-1-1024x768.jpg - 78kB

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 06:15 PM

When I first got to this area is was master planned for developement. Hotels, golf courses, yacht harbor and marina... the works.
Big money developers were lined up etc
But thankfully, they never got the permits for it. So now my humble fishcamp is surrounded by nature preserve. I was sorry to see fences go up but it is to keep out squaters and protect the natural resources from illegal exploitation. People steal the rocks and gravel to sell.
Plus illegal dumping and just generally tearing it up.
There is a full time ranger who patrols it too. So it should even be a little safer I hope for camping and stuff.
And no fee to enter the areas. But it is private so permission is required.
Plus Terra montitors the enviornmental quality (water,air monitoring) and does field studies and census of flora and fauna.
Very worthwhile organization. And they have alot of money.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 01:22 PM

Dawn patrol

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 02:06 PM

Monte Ceniza in bloom.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 01:33 AM

I thought the flowers would get a response.

I guess I'll have to try harder.

[Edited on 5-9-2017 by fishbuck]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 08:32 AM

Oooh, aaah!:light::biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 12:53 PM

Thanks DK. :coolup:

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 07:35 PM

No one else cares? It's a volcano in the shape of a heart. No one is impressed?
If this post doesn't say "peace, love, and fish tacos" I don't know what will.
What happened to the friendly supportive nature of this board?

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 08:33 PM

This is cool. I see that it's between the bays, how much of the land is owned and closed. Will anybody get upset if Kayak around it?

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 08:42 PM

Just logging on, for some reason our internet has been iffy all day.

Beautiful shots! Beautiful flowers! And how lucky that it will be forever protected.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 09:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
This is cool. I see that it's between the bays, how much of the land is owned and closed. Will anybody get upset if Kayak around it?

Alot of the land is in Nature Preserves in a few different spot. The 2 main reaerves are Punta Mazo and Monte Ceniza. Punta Mezo is the pennisula.
It is private but it is open. It's fenced and you need permission to enter but it is open.
No one will care if you Kayak. The bay is still open completely. The oyster farmers may chase you out but I don't know that for a fact.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 10:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Quote: Originally posted by MMc  

Alot of the land is in Nature Preserves in a few different spot. The 2 main reaerves are Punta Mazo and Monte Ceniza. Punta Mezo is the pennisula.
It is private but it is open. It's fenced and you need permission to enter but it is open.
No one will care if you Kayak. The bay is still open completely. The oyster farmers may chase you out but I don't know that for a fact.

Who do you ask for permission? And do you need to ask long in advance? Or just show up?

I am pro-conservation, but not much of a fan of making conserved lands off-limits to low impact users like hikers and paddlers. In the long term, closing off lands from low-impact use creates animosity with some in enviro movements and works against the greater efforts to protect lands.

But I am aware that there is a land dispute in that area, and the conservationists are fighting some locals that are trying to steal the lands through forged titles, court shenanigans, etc.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 11:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Just logging on, for some reason our internet has been iffy all day.

Beautiful shots! Beautiful flowers! And how lucky that it will be forever protected.

Thank you Blanco.
Yes I feel very fortunate. Very lucky.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 11:39 PM

For mtgoat666 and others who may be interested.

VISIT THE NATURE RESERVES

The nature reserves protected by Terra Peninsular in Baja California are natural areas open to the public where visitors can enjoy of low impact recreational activities.

If you visit any of the nature reserves we recommend you to register photos of flora and fauna using the app iNaturalist.

Your observations you will help to share biodiversity information of Baja California, show evidence of species and support scientific research projects.

NATURE RESERVES

Valle Tranquilo Nature Reserve
Monte Ceniza Nature Reserve
Punta Mazo Nature Reserve
Rancho La Concepción Nature Reserve
REQUIREMENTS FOR VISITORS

Permit for visiting or camping in the nature reserves is not required and for the moment the admission is free. In the case of the Punta Mazo Nature Reserve, you only have to register in the entrance.

It’s important that visitors understand that they can help taking care and respecting these natural areas, therefore, we ask to meet the following requirements:

Pick up the trash and carry it with you in plastic bags
Avoid making campfires and if you do so please take the necessary precautions
Respect the plants and animals in the reserve
Do not remove plants
No hunting
No smoking allowed
Respect the signs
Enjoy recreational activities such as hiking, birdwatching, photography, karak, surf, etc.
Transit only on marked roads
Follow the indications of the park rangers
For more information about the nature reserves, please contact us at reservas@terrapeninsular.org

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 11:57 PM

From mtgoat666

"But I am aware that there is a land dispute in that area, and the conservationists are fighting some locals that are trying to steal the lands through forged titles, court shenanigans, etc."

It is true. People have been trying to claim parts of this land. It's classic Baja land grab.
Those are the squaters I mentioned.
I know from talking with the former owner that it was a fulltime job chasing out squaters. He is an attorney and used his status to protect his land in court many times. I'm thinking he had enough. His family has been defending this land for nearly 100 years. They owned an incredible amount of land including Los Pinos area. And they sold off almost all of it.
But the squaters don't give up and there are alot of them?
My guess is that is a main reason he sold it all to Terra. Terra has lots of money and lots of lawyers. And they will never get tired of defending the land in court.
I did check out the issue at the land office and my Ensenada attorney who owns some of the land on the oceanfront.
He was recently the Chief of Police in Ensenada for a few years too. There are no issues. The ownership has been proven in court several times.

[Edited on 5-10-2017 by fishbuck]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2017 at 08:20 AM

The recommendations are so down to earth and practical I love that list.....take your trash - don't remove plants -all good advice.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Nashville Frank
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja happy

[*] posted on 5-11-2017 at 07:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Monte Ceniza in bloom.

This is awesome! I love this area! Fish...you've got some great pics!

Been there three times recently and your photos make me want to go back at different times of the year.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.