BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 4X2 or 4X4 for boat launching and Baja Travels...what say you?
SoCalAngler

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 08:45 AM
4X2 or 4X4 for boat launching and Baja Travels...what say you?

Logic would answer...Baja...of course you need 4X4...duh!

I traveled up and down Baja a few times back in the 90's. I used an Old '68 GMC 4X2 truck 6cyl. Great truck...reliable and easy to work on. However my travels were on pavement, hard dirt, gravel and no boat launching. I stayed at places like Santispac, Coyote, Loreto Tripui, La Paz RV Park, etc.

I would like to take my 17' alum boat down to BOLA for some fishing (one place which I never visited). Not sure about the road conditions or launch ramps.

Getting ready to purchase a new GAS truck and debating over a 4X2 or 4X4. It will be a 3/4 ton crew cab, long bed. It will be my DD, tow vehicle for a TT, and general use truck.

My Baja travels will be maybe once per year for about two weeks. There may be times when I venture further south but it will not be with the boat in tow.

So, those that travel south frequently and/or tow a boat, or whatever....

do you use a 4X4 or 4X2? If 4X2, what are your thoughts on its capabilities? Is your truck a gas or diesel and is it 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton?

Thanks!
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 09:21 AM

For the use you are discribing, a half ton 4x4 should fit your needs perfectly. A Dodge Ram gas hemi 1500 in 4wd will have plenty of power, no low sulfer diesel fuel concerns, a very comfortable ride, and cost competitive. Actually, Ford and Chevy have competitive models and should be given a look. I recently bought my fifth Dodge 4x4 and the last two have been gas rather than diesel. My last highway trip was 19.5 mpg. I regularly pull a 6,000 lb. boat around and launch with no problems, and no the 19.5mpg was not towing. You will probably get a Toyota pitch or two also.
SoCalAngler

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 09:34 AM

I tow a TT around CA/AZ/NV and may venture further starting next summer. I have an 18 and 13yo. We travel 4 in truck. Although have not purchased a used TT yet, it will probably be around 8K pounds GVWR.

I agree on how comfortable the new 1/2 tons ride. Sweet ride for sure!

The issue with 1/2 tons is not towing capacity, but...

1. Payload. The payload capacity is about 1400# (4x4 and crew cab). Passengers are 700# and tongue capacity is about 10% of TT. TT of about 8K leaves NO payload left for equipment in truck bed.

#2 on 1/2 ton....the beds are either very short or short (5.5' or 6.5').

This is the ONLY reason I was considering a 3/4 ton. I MUCH prefer a 1/2 ton as a DD.

Need to look into Toyota...I believe they make a Double Cab in a long bed. Again payload is limited to about 1400-1500#.

Thoughts?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 09:43 AM

You can increase your payload capacity a scoche by installing airbags on your rear leaf springs to a half-ton. I feel 4x4 is a must... you can get in trouble in 2wd and lock it in to get out. I have an F-250 XLT w/V-10 engine, incredibly strong but beats me to tears to drive it. Was hauling an 8k lb. 5th wheel.

[Edited on 5-7-2017 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 01:00 PM

I towed my 23 foot searay with my 1998 F-150 V6 5 speed clutch as far as Bola and from Newport Beach Ca. 2 wheel drive. The sea ray was about 4000lbs.
It was perfect for the mission except at the boat ramp. The clutch was tricky.
Sometimes I could only dump the clutch and burn rubber up the ramp and hope the tires burned the slime off the ramp and finally dig in.
I now have an F350 4 x 4. 5.4 liter V8. The Searay was easy to launch with that.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 02:44 PM

Ihave done both 2 &4 WD...2WD and ONE bad boat ramp will make you switch....to 4WD

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 02:50 PM

If you ever own a modern 4x4 3/4 ton diesel you'll never want to drive another truck again

Pulls a house, fast as hell, and drive incredibly smooth.

[Edited on 5-7-2017 by JZ]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 02:58 PM

for 2 weeks a year....I'd go with the 2WD
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 03:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
If you ever own a modern 4x4 3/4 ton diesel you'll never want to drive another truck again

Pulls a house, fast as hell, and drive incredibly smooth.

I agree with jz...but if you add 2 more wheels to the back...wow now you have a race truck...but you have to buy more tires later

as for the 5.4 gas engine...I haul a trailer with 5000 pounds daily and that's the min size engine...not quite the tow power you really want

for towing you cant beat a modern/newer 4x4 diesel dually quad cab
12mpg all the time

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
SoCalAngler

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 05:16 PM

I owned a Cummins 5.9L HO and indeed it was a beast.

I have no need for such a diesel, as they are intended to be worked. I will not work it as it needs to be worked. They do not like NOT being worked as in heavy towing. Plus the emissions now just chokes the $%#@ out of them!

Gas for me....
2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with rear coils drives pretty nice. The 6.4L is no slouch and gets about the same mpg as a Chevy/Toyota 1/2 ton.

Now just need to decide 4X2 or 4X4 and LONG or SHORT bed
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 08:13 PM

I have been looking at new trucks also. The big problem for me is that all the newer engine/ trans. packages are only in the half tons, and you can not get an 8 foot bed with anything other than the regular cab.

I'm waiting for that to change.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-7-2017 at 10:04 PM

I think F250/350 comes with supercab and 8 foot bed. Not sure what engines options are avaiable now.
The 5.4 gas I have is sporty but not sure it has power for heavy hauling.
5000lbs seems a little light.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-8-2017 at 08:36 AM

All 4x4 trucks can be driven in 2 wheel drive (2WD)...
Not one 2WD truck can be driven in 4WD! :light::biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
5-8-2017 at 09:51 AM
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2017 at 07:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Ihave done both 2 &4 WD...2WD and ONE bad boat ramp will make you switch....to 4WD

Without a doubt...

Making America Great Again
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 07:02 AM

I'd look carefully at the trans and if it works good towing the max load. I had a Ford Expedition 4x4 with the 5.4 and 4R100 trans. I loved that truck but the tranny sucked at towing. It would not hold a gear going up a hill. Always wanted to upshift at the worst time and would then fall on its face. No tow/haul mode or manual gear selector beyond 1st. My early days in Baja were a lifted Toyota 2wd 4-cylinder 5-speed manual, one of the early "prerunner" looking trucks. My firechief's son owned FabTech and I was sort of putting on whatever he came out with. Anyways, I towed my 19' Bayrunner Baja all over the place with it and a full load of camping gear, wife, and dog. That rig would climb the grade in TJ in first gear only at 5mph! But I launched that boat everywhere, with no 4x4. Yes, it can be done with the right tires and airing down when necessary. But I love 4x4 and have owned four of them since the days of the Toyota.

[Edited on 5-12-2017 by Doug/Vamonos]
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 07:06 AM

And BOLA has several very nice boat ramps. No need to beach launch. Even if you camp out of town there are decent roads that allow you to easily tow it back and forth to the public ramp. And that boat is simple to launch. But your proposed truck is a VERY heavy vehicle so if you go 2wd I'd want decent offroad tires and would be careful in sand and soft dirt. Definitely make sure it has a posi and good gears if you want to upsize the tires (3.73 plus).
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 08:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SoCalAngler  
I owned a Cummins 5.9L HO and indeed it was a beast.

I have no need for such a diesel, as they are intended to be worked. I will not work it as it needs to be worked. They do not like NOT being worked as in heavy towing. Plus the emissions now just chokes the $%#@ out of them!

Gas for me....
2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with rear coils drives pretty nice. The 6.4L is no slouch and gets about the same mpg as a Chevy/Toyota 1/2 ton.

Now just need to decide 4X2 or 4X4 and LONG or SHORT bed

This "work" comment is absolutely ridiculous on so many levels.

No man in their right mind would buy a 3/4 ton gasser.

You'd be a fool to not buy a 4x4.

Don't get a long bed unless you absolutely know you are hauling a ton of stuff and doing it often. So many reasons to not have one.

Chevy is the top dog in trucks right now. Looks way better inside and out. Ram's are a distant 3rd place.

[Edited on 5-12-2017 by JZ]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 11:18 AM

holy cow...I sure goofed jz

I have a
2001 ford...3/4ton...gas...2wd...longbed...single cab

I had it 5 years now...time to upgrade

you are right!!!

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 12:21 PM

I'm with JZ on this one.
Except for the 3/4 ton gasser opinion.
Oh, and the long bed opinion.
Why drive a big *ss truck and not have an eight foot bed?
And you should pay for the 4x4, but you are not a fool if you don't.
They sell a lot of 2x4 trucks.
The only fool is the person who thinks his way is the only way.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
holy cow...I sure goofed jz

I have a
2001 ford...3/4ton...gas...2wd...longbed...single cab

I had it 5 years now...time to upgrade

you are right!!!

Ha! I'll go with you on the long bed. I'm always cramming my bikes in there. Just wouldn't be practical to drive around a city though.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.