BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Cabo Pulmo shark attack?
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 5-10-2017 at 07:55 PM

Good one,, Good job on postin this joke or whatever there called I always come up with some funny stuff but am cautious about postin for fear of gettin banned:o:o

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 5-11-2017 at 03:07 PM

So one of the popular very fascinating dives in Cabo Pulmo is a 100 ft dive off Frailis Pt to see big tiger sharks. I have not done that dive but have heard about it and I would love to do it. Good chance the bites were taken after he drown but possibly not. You may not know there is a population of Great White sharks in the Sea of Cortez. Big ones.
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2017 at 08:14 PM

Has anyone seen a follow-up report on this? Wondering if he died of a shark attack, or if the injury was postmortem.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2017 at 10:41 PM

What's that I hear? bump-bump-bump-bump-----------bump-bump-bump-bump-sounds like a movie lead in :-)

Actually, many decades ago, study was done on divers and wet suits. They showed that an all black wet suit "could/would" get bit but if it was black and wide white striped the beasties wouldn't bother it. Don't know what ever became of that study (maybe 50 years ago). Paint the bottom of your surf board black and white stripes!

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2017 at 09:57 AM

Cliffy, there is a Ted Talks episode from western Australia, maybe five years ago, that showed this to be true.

They filmed a black wetsuit filled with chum being torn apart and consumed in no time.

They then filmed a black and white striped wetsuit filled with oozing chum and not one of the local species would get closer than several feet before turning away. Great whites, bulls, tigers, bronze whalers all reacted the same way.

It was mind blowing to see that none of them would come any closer to that tasty blood and guts filled suit.

This is because of the structure of sharks vision, rods and cones, that for some reason, causes them to be repelled by this black and white striped pattern.

It is fascinating to to watch. I should go back and watch it again and refresh my memory, but the impression it left upon me is enduring.

After Bethany lost her arm in Hawaii, I started seeing the bottom of surfboards with this pattern in the Islands. Little wonder. I can't hurt.

I have since thought surfers, ocean swimmers and divers could benefit from wearing striped suits of some sort. As natural a shark repellant as there is.

It would interesting to see if further studies have been done and whether the men in the gray suits have ever overcome their initial reticence to charge on in on the black and white striped chum filled suits.

Thanks to all here.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2017 at 10:18 AM

That is very interesting. Maybe the black and white thing has to do with shark meat being on the Orca menu?
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 7-9-2017 at 10:24 AM

The documentary I watched about the black and white thing speculated that it was the same pattern as the very venomous sea snake that sharks avoid big time.

sold out and got out !!!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-9-2017 at 10:32 AM

World wide, many attacks are by bull sharks that travel far upriver in fresh water that has just a couple of inches visibility.

I doubt that the black and white pattern would be much help in those rivers, even if you could convince the swimmers that they needed to wear something other than trunks!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2017 at 09:38 PM

It might limit the amount of damage if the bull shark saw the strips even after clamping down.
That's interesting about the AU study. The one I remembered is at least 50 yrs old. It was back when I was surfing in my teens. Yes, that long ago :-)

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2017 at 10:20 PM

shark blood in the water...shark B-Gone ;)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.