Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Advice about a Southern Baja trip this fall
SunDevil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 06:34 AM
Advice about a Southern Baja trip this fall

I am looking for advice about when to take a Southern Baja trip this fall.

We are going for two weeks and would like to go before the water temps cool off but after the real hot daytime air temps. We are looking at either the last two weeks of October or the first two weeks of November. There will be a toddler with us so warm water will be more important than it would be for only adults.

We are going to fly into San Jose Del Cabo and rent a high clearance 4x4 vehicle, drive up the East Cape coastal road through Cabo Pulmo and into someplace south of Los Barrlies. We will be spending most of our time on the beach and in the water so hot weather the first week or so is probably good. We are not camping and many of the places for rent have AC.

After a few days we are heading north to La Paz. Here we will be visiting the snorkeling beaches but also in town doing some sightseeing and relaxing along the malecon. Hopefully there will be a cool breeze off the water in the evening but this might be wishfull thinking.

Something to toss into the equation is the Baja 1000 ends in La Paz on Nov 18th. Would it be good or bad to be around for this?

Another factor might be road conditions after the summer rains. Would an extra two weeks of time fix problems make any difference?

When would you go on this trip?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 06:50 AM

Sounds like a perfect time!

8knots
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 07:19 AM

It can be, and usually still is, freaking hot at that time of year. The further in November the better you chances for cooler evening breeze.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 07:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SunDevil  

We are looking at either the last two weeks of October or the first two weeks of November.

When would you go on this trip?

IMHO you've picked a great time to go. Warm to hot days, night time temps are cooling off, and the water temp is perfect.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 07:45 AM

I always tell people the best time to go is the middle to the end of October and in a perfect world, the end of October.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 08:26 AM

I like your timing, I plan to be around the areas you mentioned about the same time frame. Later in November can be nice, or you can be blown off the beach.

The humidity can be uncomfortable around a Paz, but any breeze (or a fan) should get you to sleep at night.

I hate putting on insect repellant, but keep in mind that Denge fever is a possibility in Baja Sur. Less dangerous, but a problem for me, are the black gnats that cause me some swelling. I keep Benadryl ointment and jell caps on hand just in case.

It is not likely that you will have a problem with jelleyfish stings, but it has happened to me. With a toddler on board, I would recommend having some first aid with you rather than looking for a Pharmacy after the sting.

By all means, GO, and have a great trip. I took my kids down there for three months, and look forward to taking my grandchildren, but have a first aid kit (everything else is optional).

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SunDevil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 09:51 AM

Thanks everyone, it looks like Late October and early November are great times to head to the East Cape and La Paz.

One thing is bothering me, the Baja 1000 that ends in La Paz November 18. Anyone in La Paz know how crazy things get?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 10:17 AM

I'd look at it as a positive, fun for a couple of days in town, and don't think it will affect the beaches much east of town, Playa Tecolote etc.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 11:53 AM

If you are in La Paz for the end of the race it can get hectic with lots of racers and their support crews and fans. The race will start on Thursday the 16. Bikes start at 6am and cars/trucks at 10+am. First vehicles will arrive after 18-20 hours so starting early Friday mourning race vehicles will be coming into the La Paz finish line which is usually at west side coming into the city. However this being the 50th anniversary they may do the finish there then have the racers drive to the Malecon for a display showing. We will know how it will be handled come Nov.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 12:43 PM

In La Paz, La Concha Hotel would be perfect with a toddler. They are right on the bay, with a private, small calm beach and a swimming pool with a toddler section.
http://www.laconcha.com/en

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2017 at 10:49 AM

If you're not interested in the race type vehicles the Baja 1000 attracts, I would try to avoid the days before and after the event. They arrive and use Mex. 1 and back roads to test their speed. They are very annoying, dangerously passing on Mex. 1, have very wide trailers, and loud.
Your plan sounds good. Check out Rancho Leonero - they have a pool, and good snorkeling right out front - 3 meals included.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2017 at 12:36 PM

Wherever you stay in La Paz, be sure to have the A/C option because it is so so so hot. Beach umbrella a good idea because even when in the water, you get sunburned and need a nap, to then return to the warm waters.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
SunDevil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2017 at 08:11 AM

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments.

It looks like early November water temps will still be quite warm but the air temps won't be oppressive.

Because we have a toddler in tow we will check out the Casabuena and the La Concha Hotels in La Paz. We have a large group and need three bedrooms so we will also be looking at houses.

We will be prepared for mosquitoes, if repellent on our clothes isn't good enough then we'll move someplace windy or indoors.

I have yet to use a repellent that helps with no-see-ums, black gnats, jejenes. DEET masks the odor of carbon dioxide emissions from your skin, but the no-see-ums don't use CO2 to find us like mosquitos do.

Someone on the TomZap Huatulco forum recommended Pennyroyal oil for no-see-ums. They claimed to have success with this on the beach at San Blas at sundown, which has a nasty reputation for gnats. I'll try this and report back my results.

We will have a first aid kit and instructions for dealing with all kinds of stings. You might be interested in a 2016 article about treating jellyfish stings.

Heat trumps cold in the treatment of jellyfish stings http://www.hawaii.edu/news/2016/04/14/heat-trumps-cold-in-th...

Are jellyfish larva a problem in the fall? I don't really like these things getting inside my swim trunks. Should we have snorkeling rash guards?

Here is another good site, "Treating sea creature stings"
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Stings-marine-creatures/Pages/T...

Still considering staying around La Paz to see the end of the Baja 1000. All things considered, the hassles might be worth the experience. We won't be traveling north on hwy 1 after the race so maybe the problem with dangerous trailers won't be much of a factor.

We will have some way to set up shade, either a tarp with old tent poles or a pop up canopy that has been modified with extra shade cloth on the sides and better anchors for wind.

If there is anything else we should pile into our vehicle let me know.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-14-2017 at 08:18 AM

Sun Devil, here's a little sumpin' I found that works very well on no-see-ums... clear vanilla. It can be found in Baja although not common, but findable. It can be put around the eyes (unlike deet) and makes you smell really spiffy too. Doesn't work on skeeters, but the itsy guys don't like it at all. Regular vanilla works too, but stains skin and clothing.... treasure-hunt for the clear stuff, and keep it out of sunlight or it will go dark on you.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

SunDevil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2017 at 05:29 PM

These are some great ideas to thwart the nasty jejenes, no-see-ums, black gnats.

I remembered something that worked for for us several years ago on West Clear Creek in Arizona.

Old style sun tan oil. The folks using that didn't get bites. You could see the little buggers stuck in the oil, dead, maybe they suffocated. The folks not using suntan oil were in agony from all the bites.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.