Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: COPS Racing at the 50th Mexican 1000
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2017 at 04:38 PM
COPS Racing at the 50th Mexican 1000

Here's a few photos of COPS Racing at the 50th Mexican 1000. I've included some photos of the vintage racers too - a lot of cool cars there!

I'll post some bonus photos here in the next couple days.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2017 at 05:10 PM

You were lucky at the Bay of LA. The rest of us endured the sandstorm outside. Our first 3 days were excellent. 4 day trans leak. 5th day lost a bolt on the trailing arm. Still finished 3rd in class.
[img][/img]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2017 at 05:12 PM

One of the racers on the Gonzaga to Chapala road threw a rock up and dented the door of my truck.. I am sure I was not the only one to get hit.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2017 at 07:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
One of the racers on the Gonzaga to Chapala road threw a rock up and dented the door of my truck.. I am sure I was not the only one to get hit.

Where was your truck parked?

I was driving down the road. The racers and the normal traffic were on the same 23 mile dirt road.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-14-2017 at 09:42 PM

Interesting that NORRA and SCORE are both calling their 2017 1000s the 50th.

1967-1972 Mexican 1000s were NORRA.
Mexico replaced NORRA with their own organization after the June Baja 500 was run.

1973 was the new BSC (Baja Sports Committee) and the race was renamed Baja 1000. BSC messed up bad, money for racers vanished.

1974 had no 1000. SCORE was invited to take over Baja racing after a successful July 1974 Baja Internacional (400 mile) race. They did not have enough planning time for a 1000 in November.

1975 was the first SCORE Baja 1000. No year has been missed since.

After many years, the exclussive Score arrangement for racing expired and a new NORRA returned to run rally events and using the 1967-1972 name, Mexican 1000.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2017 at 12:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Mexico replaced NORRA with their own organization after the June Baja 500 was run.

1973 was the new BSC (Baja Sports Committee) and the race was renamed Baja 1000. BSC messed up bad, money for racers vanished.

1974 had no 1000. SCORE was invited to take over Baja racing after a successful July 1974 Baja Internacional (400 mile) race. They did not have enough planning time for a 1000 in November.

After many years, the exclussive Score arrangement for racing expired and a new NORRA returned to run rally events and using the 1967-1972 name, Mexican 1000.

If you look closely they refer to them as the 50th Anniversary not the actual 50th race.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2017 at 08:02 AM

Enjoyed the blog!! Thanks!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2017 at 09:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TecateRay  

If you look closely they refer to them as the 50th Anniversary not the actual 50th race.

Yes and SCORE has used he term running as well as in The 45th Running of the Baja 1000.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 05:46 AM

for some real NORRA history complete with pictures....check this out
https://www.norra.com/norra.php
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 09:11 AM

Good info. As to low octane airplane engines, I've heard that some pilots will pull their airplane up to the PEMEX at Gonzaga Bay to fill up.
Jay

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 08:23 PM

I was driving down the road. The racers and the normal traffic were on the same 23 mile dirt road.
This was a bad idea to have race traffic, chase traffic as well as normal traffic on this section at the same time. As we saw the first trophy truck approach we pulled to the right and stopped. That driver lifted his foot and passed respectfully. The second trophy truck that came through never lifted his foot. My windshield took the brunt of the damages , needles to say I have a number of softball sized cracks in my windshield. Im sure many others suffered damage to there vehicles both racers and non racers.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 12:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jay  

This was a bad idea to have race traffic, chase traffic as well as normal traffic on this section at the same time. As we saw the first trophy truck approach we pulled to the right and stopped. That driver lifted his foot and passed respectfully. The second trophy truck that came through never lifted his foot. My windshield took the brunt of the damages , needles to say I have a number of softball sized cracks in my windshield. Im sure many others suffered damage to there vehicles both racers and non racers.

OK. But you know you were on a live race course. I have seen wheels come off cars and hit chase trucks, doing far more damage. Think before you park.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 05:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
Quote: Originally posted by Jay  

OK. But you know you were on a live race course. I have seen wheels come off cars and hit chase trucks, doing far more damage. Think before you park.

Read the whole thing. The "live" course was on the "highway" Gonzaga to Chapala. Were the buses, semis, Rv's, cars all supposed to "think" before they drove on a public road?

Yes, Jay. Even though we were in the race and I am sure my son thought it was fun driving that area...it was not a good idea mixing the racers with that much traffic.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 07:49 AM

The original off road races in Baja all were on public roads, paved and dirt. The 1967-1971 NORRA Mexican 1000 ran Hwy. 1 from Ensenada to San Ignacio and again from La Purisima or nearby to La Paz.
In 1972, the 1000 started in Mexicali and used Hwy. 5 for 90 miles before crossing over to Hwy. 1.

When NORRA was replaced by BSC and renamed Baja 1000, Hwy. 1 was all paved so they went from Ensenada to San Felipe and down via L.A. Bay and El Arco to San Ignacio and down, the usual route meeting pavement at Insurgentes.
Off Road racing is anything but and in Baja, public highways dirt or paved are the course.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 10:22 AM

Today's NORRA has always used the highway sections as a transit sections meaning no racing. They knew the non-pavement section from Gonzaga to Hwy 1 was used by all sorts of non-race vehicles including tractor trailers so they should have treated it the same as a paved section.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 11:11 AM

Thumbs up TMW. Some people do not get it. We want this race to continue.l

[Edited on 5-19-2017 by rts551]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 11:15 AM

The original off road races in Baja all were on public roads, paved and dirt. The 1967-1971 NORRA Mexican 1000 ran Hwy. 1 from Ensenada to San Ignacio and again from La Purisima or nearby to La Paz.
In 1972, the 1000 started in Mexicali and used Hwy. 5 for 90 miles before crossing over to Hwy. 1.

When NORRA was replaced by BSC and renamed Baja 1000, Hwy. 1 was all paved so they went from Ensenada to San Felipe and down via L.A. Bay and El Arco to San Ignacio and down, the usual route meeting pavement at Insurgentes.
Off Road racing is anything but and in Baja, public highways dirt or paved are the course.

A lot has changed since 1972.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2017 at 04:28 PM

These were taken at the awards ceremony:

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 11:14 AM

Staging for start in La Paz:

Low tire pressure in La Purísima:

TT #250:

A curio tienda en Loreto:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.