Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Punta Chivato camping
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 01:48 PM

bb, if you're referring to the road in from Palo Verde to Chivato it's the ONLY road in other than some sandy ATV tracks. It's a long and bumpy kidney-banger, so make sure you have enough 'stuff' packed that you don't have to drive to Mulege or Sta. Rosalia very often. I believe it's 8 miles to the shore then another 3 to the dry camp, the last part of which is usually graded and not so rough.

BTW, Hotelito will be on your left as you near the camp area. Stop in and see if anyone is there, arrange your needs. Have a safe trip, WATCH YOUR STUFF. Oh, and rip some lips!

[Edited on 5-16-2017 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 01:52 PM

Im glad YOU said that..

belizebum

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 02:00 PM

LOL...Thanks for the kidney busting advice...both of you...taco's pescado awaits!!!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 02:03 PM

Confucius say " Kidney less liable to bust if bladder full of Pacifico"...

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 02:05 PM

One more little tidbit not yet mentioned..... at the San Lucas Cove RV park is La Bahia restaurant, open on weekends 11-7 or 8. Wonderful food, great people. If you get a chance to dine there please tell Janine and René hello from Buddha and I sent you; you won't be disappointed. Janine is a natural artist and her food prep is almost too pretty to eat. I was their neighbor for almost 4 years.

86 - 45*

belizebum

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 03:16 PM

Will Do Buddha...thx
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 05:47 PM

Russ, Is no one camping at PC anymore ?
It has been a long time since we have been there, but we were never alone. Always at least a few camps to look out for each other.

Sometimes way too many.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 07:52 PM

Sometimes it's a ghost town but maybe this time of year there may be a couple of others. Last week I was told there was only one tent camper. And Easter I was told it was 3 deep. As the traditional fishing season comes in there may be some diehard fishermen. And of course the warm water in, I hope, a couple more weeks will be inviting.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 09:28 PM

well, if you are determined to go to PC I might be persuaded to let you camp on our gated rock walled lot down from the community center... has a covered slab and bano but the keys to the bano are with me in Colorado... water can be turned on to the lot...
I expect that the property needs a lot of weed mitigation that could be payment for using the lot... can't miss it corner lot down from the community center and one row back from the beach...
We had several folks use it this last winter.... A little more secure than open beach camping...
just let us know if becomes an option....
Have fun.... great place to catch some fantastic sunrises......

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2017 at 01:15 PM

Today, lots of bait in close. They're anchovy pinheads so nothing of any size under them... yet. Water warmed up a few degrees. We tried to fish the bait balls from shore but no bites.

belizebum

[*] posted on 5-17-2017 at 11:11 PM

Thanks mtnpop, that is very generous. I'll shoot you a u2u for a bit more info. Russ, thanks for the fishing update. We are definitely going to hit that area and see if it will work for us camping. Gonna be brutal hot...103? ouch Is it 103 feels like 92 because of the sea and breeze or is it 103 feels like 110 because it is practically desert :)
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 04:10 AM

Sea breeze makes a huge difference. Once in awhile we'll get the dry desert wind and it'll cook here. 59º now and yesterday's high was around 75º.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 05:45 AM

One thing is almost certain about the PC beach camping area. Practice your best "stingray shuffle" when entering the water, especially on the NW side of the hammerhead. Even outside the spawn period, it is one of the thickest concentrations of rays I have ever seen. Still, the beach is worth it. Easy to swim over them.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 05:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
One thing is almost certain about the PC beach camping area. Practice your best "stingray shuffle" when entering the water, especially on the NW side of the hammerhead. Even outside the spawn period, it is one of the thickest concentrations of rays I have ever seen. Still, the beach is worth it. Easy to swim over them.

Double ditto with San Lucas Cove if you stop there. I use a 'ray stick' to tap the sand in front of me when I walk in the shallows... usually a length of cardon or 1/2" PVC.

86 - 45*

belizebum

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 12:56 PM

great advice!! got popped by one commercial diving. Ate a hole in my calf the size of quarter...thx for the tips gents...keep em coming :)
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 01:31 PM

Before Hurricane Newton there were lots of stingrays in front of our house. Lots.

They all disappeared after Newton.

A couple of weeks ago, I was kayaking over areas previously littered with stingrays, and only saw two. That is two more than six months ago, but maybe 10 less than a year ago.

I've seen campers next to the rocks past the last house on the beach north of the hammerhead several times. It seems like a nice place, perhaps offering some protection from the winds.

The week after Semana Santa, there were a few stragglers on the camping beach, and some in the area described above.
belizebum

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 02:55 AM

Thx bear, have been trying to pinpoint the camping beach, and out of the wind would be nice...plan on kayaking while we are there...have a couple of decent inflatable kayaks for messing about.
belizebum

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 03:09 AM

Was trying to find the water temps to see if I can leave my cold water wetsuit at home and found a weather station in PC. Very cool...appreciate the data!!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 05:13 AM

72º to 74º Hoping for warmer waters soon.

belizebum

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 05:24 AM

Saw that, only gonna bring the 3 mil :) I live in Oregon...that is bath water...even on the ocean off Amelia Island, FL 74 is crazy hot...cannot wait...I read about cobia in the area...my favorite fish to spear...they are prehistorically tough...you catch them there Russ?
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.