BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: El Dorado Ranch - San Felipe
GalacticGS

[*] posted on 5-15-2017 at 12:22 PM
El Dorado Ranch - San Felipe

Considering buying a home in the San Felipe region. I'm aware of problems that lot owners have had in not getting promised electricity and other services to their EDR lots.

What "gotchas" might there be in purchasing an existing EDR home? Should I stay entirely away from EDR? Are there similar problems with other SF developments that have existing homes for sale?

Thanks for all input!
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2017 at 12:44 PM
EDR

I cannot speak for El Dorado Ranch as we've not stayed there.

However we have rented a number of different homes a little south of EDR at Playa de Oro - the east side of the highway maybe 3 miles south of EDR. Our experiences with the homes we've rented have been perfect insofar as all utilities working properly. We aren't interested in buying so we never looked into the issues you mention, just have first hand experience as renters. In fact we are heading there later this week.

PDO has good amenities, pools, clean, 24 hour manned gate - might be worth looking at, especially since it's so close. We've noted some for sale signs on homes and on vacant lots.

We have no financial interest in either place.

John M
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2017 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by GalacticGS  
Considering buying a home in the San Felipe region.

Hire a bilingual Mexican real estate lawyer in Mexicali before you sign anything. Don't believe what a real estate salesman tells you, especially a gringo working for a development. There are no consumer protection laws and you have little recourse if you get ripped off.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2017 at 02:08 PM

U2U sent
U2U is a private message.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2017 at 04:46 PM

We bought a place on the beach south of town. Always thought we'd settle down way further south and not around SF but so far we like it there. Probably has to do with finding the right house in the right campo. :)

There is an active community in/around El Dorado but I don't think we could live there. To many horror stories. But some happy people to, I guess. Really depends on what your wants and needs are. Do your research and look around (a lot).

And IMO, always easier to buy a completed home than build especially if you're new to an area. Just realize you're going to get all the junk with the purchase and the really good stuff will propaply go with the seller. Negotiate carefully for everything.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-15-2017 at 05:14 PM

GalacticGS - Rent first. Gives you the opportunity to check things out. Mingle with the residents and ask questions
GalacticGS

[*] posted on 5-15-2017 at 05:24 PM

Thanks for all the info everyone. Lots of good advice...
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 5-15-2017 at 11:26 PM

GalacticGS, I have been considering EDR and looking each time that I go down. I stopped three random people during a recent visit and asked each of them if they were owners and if they would do it again, all three said yes and yes.

Check to see if the property that you are interested in is available to be purchased under the "Master Trust", if not, plan for an extra $10,000.00 up front for your Bank Trust, plus yearly fees. Ask the people around anything you are considering about Master vs Bank Trust.

Please keep us up on your progress. JH
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 07:09 AM

New bank results in much lower trust cost.
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 08:50 AM

Do your due diligence & decide from there on.

We have lived in EDR for 20 years. Got what we paid for , have since expanded (a lot) & are happy with what we have done & our life here.
We have a home in solar area as do some of our children. Just upgraded our solar system so we are now installing A/C.
I too would suggest you might want to buy an existing home rather than build. BE SURE of your purchase before you sign anything!
Yes, there are some owners that are unhappy & they have good reason to be unhappy as they did not get what was promised by the developer. Good advise "do not believe everything Real Estate sellers tell you. Talk to the people that live here BEFORE you sign on dotted line. I have never come across ANYONE here that would not be happy to answer your questions & more. I personally have made many new friends by answering questions even online for potential buyers. I was on EDR Board of Supervisors for 10years.There are really some VERY good buys right now in EDR Real Estate. Check with Daryl & Michelle at Baja Sun Realty. They are good, honest people to deal with. If I can be of any help would be happy to help?
GalacticGS

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 05:04 PM

Thanks meme. The wife and I are likely to head down in the next few months to check things out. If you don't mind, I may contact you then with a U2U to possibly meet with you down there, and ask questions.

Again, appreciate all the advice. I'm convinced of wanting to retire down in the region, but still working on the wife a bit...
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 06:58 PM

NP send me a u2u whenever. We stay here year around.
It's not for everyone that's for sure but most find it's pretty comfortable living here. Your wife may be more eager once she has been here & talked to some that live here. Moving to a place where you do not know anyone is hard for many women especially.
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 06:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Perhaps read some of the posts on the Facebook page: El Dorado Ranch EXPOSED at https://www.facebook.com/groups/179345369066154/

No, this page is not an accurate representation of how MOST El Dorado Ranch owners feel. David K, sending someone to this page is like sending someone to read Fulanos website to learn about Baja. SMH!
GalaticGS, there are many owners in El Dorado who are happy with life there. There ARE some who are unhappy....and rightfully so. They bought property where they were supposed to get electric services and built their homes there BEFORE those services were in place. When the housing market crashed there were no funds to complete the installation. Those people are angry and vocal. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be.
My husband and I purchased a lot in El Dorado back in 2004. We are happy with the progress that has happened so far: new community pool center, new tennis and pickle ball courts, golf course and restaurant. We chose to build our home so that we could get what we wanted. That being said, we know we could have saved money if we had chose to purchase an already constructed home.
If you choose to buy a home a major consideration is the building material used. Make sure that you purchase a home built with one of the more energy effecient materials such as Perform Wall or Nadura. This will help keep you cooler and keep your energy bills lower.
Check out the different developments. We did when we first went down. We chose El Dorado because we had more space and owned rather than leased. Lots in some of the other developments are quite small or they required you to choose one of their home designs. Make a list of what you are looking for and then go exploring.
If you have any questions, please U2U me. I would be happy to answer.

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 06:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by GalacticGS  
Thanks meme. The wife and I are likely to head down in the next few months to check things out. If you don't mind, I may contact you then with a U2U to possibly meet with you down there, and ask questions.

Again, appreciate all the advice. I'm convinced of wanting to retire down in the region, but still working on the wife a bit...

The great thing about being at El Dorado is that you can do as much or as little as you want. There are many activities offered on the ranch from Spanish Lessons, to card/dice games, tennis, water aerobics etc. Plus there are many volunteer opportunities available if that is something that you are interested in.
Another nice thing is that if you NEED to go north of the border for something you are very close. We cross back over as little as possible. There are rentals available....maybe come down for a while and let your wife check it out. She may like it! U2U me if you have any questions.

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2017 at 10:01 AM

What grace 59 said! I totally agree. We bought a lot & built our home but would at this time rent & ask a lot of OWNERS what they like & do not like? I personally would choose to buy an existing home as right now there are really good buys out there & you can always make it YOURS. I do not agree to NEVER listen to real estate sellers. We have some very good , & honest people doing business here at Baja Sun Real Estate. They will tell it like it is , answer your questions a honestly as they can & will not tell you lies or as they think you might want to hear. Very good people to deal with.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.