Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loreto area fishing
EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 5-15-2017 at 06:53 PM
Loreto area fishing

Will be headed back down to Loreto next weekend. Any heads up on the area fishing??

Thanks!!

EdZ
Panga and kayaks
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 01:00 AM

my trip is usually July -August. The last 3 years have not been anything to write home about. Im hoping this year will be something different. Let me know.

thanks
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 02:42 AM

I'm guessing you might find deep yellowtail. Possibly some surface action if the water is still cool. But otherwise they dive deep. 100-200 feet of water. Sinker and a live bait. Or drop a jig. A heavy one so it will sink in the currrent. Same for the live bait.
Live bait is better. A dropper loop or a sliding egg with a spitshot. Try to stay just off the bottom. Set your drag hard. The fish will immedialy run to the closest rock. You must stop him quick and horse him up away from the rocks. Once you get him up into clear water you can fight him a little easier. 50lb test minumum. Anything lighter will probably get busted off.
Typically near bottom structure where they are cruising for bait fish. But ofcourse scan the water for bird action and bait boils. Be ready to throw a jig or a live bait on the boil or sagosso grass if you see some.
You can always try trolling rapalas too.
If you can remember all this and if the fish are there... you might catch a fish.
I may go to LTO in June/July myself. Hoping for Dorado. If they are there I will troll feathers and maybe slow troll live bait if I can make it.
Of course I would love to throw live bait or a jig on sargosso grass or whatever we find such as debris of any kind. Dorado stake out floating stuff because it attracts bait fish. I really need a fish...

[Edited on 5-19-2017 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 04:04 AM

Found this 5/12/17 report.

Loreto

We have had the tail end of some northern weather system all week with a couple of nice days followed up by north winds.

I was having trouble managing to make my way north into a 20-mph wind this afternoon at the same time being thankful I was on my bicycle instead of out in the soup!

[​IMG]

Juve (the fishing captain, Juve . . . not the scubaman) put his clients on a pair of nice yellowtail off Coronado Island before the wind rolled into town. Try realizing you have a fish on at three hundred feet instead of stuck on the rocks. A thirty-pound yellowtail can feel like the bottom until he gets mad!

Yellowtail are still being caught with most boats working around Coronado Island. This week bait has been the big factor with less bait being caught during the full moon.

Big green mackerel with some blues mixed in were being caught by the first boats at the deep spot east of Coronado.

Dropping out of the radar this week it has been the cabrilla. Very few have been caught at any spot with any method. This is the time when cabrilla should be coming up out of deep water for feeding and nest building.

Surface iron and small jointed Rapala type lure might be the best bet until the moon changes for shallow cabrilla.

Sargasso and warm surface water temperatures are pointing to a good dorado season. We'll just hold our breath and cross our fingers. …Rick Hill, Pinchy Sportfishing

may1208.jpg - 164kB

[Edited on 5-19-2017 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 07:19 PM

Any report from your trip?

Raven

[*] posted on 6-3-2017 at 09:55 AM

Any updates on Loreto fishing?
Any dorado?
dorado50
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2017 at 10:51 AM

YT popping the surface. Conditions building for dorado. :bounce:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.