Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Boat trailer tires
brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 08:49 AM
Boat trailer tires

Any recommendations on a good boat trailer tire that does well off road and with potholes? A good place to buy in San Diego. Single axle trailer towing an 18ft. aluminum.

Thanks for input
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 08:57 AM

pizza cutters or full size?

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 09:06 AM

I always used a name-brand Load Range C off-road tire with all-terrain tread, not aggressive tread, with my tin-boat trailers, and don't put a bunch of stuff in the boat. (beats the boat to death). I did not carry the motor or gas tanks in the boat---put them in the pick-up, well padded. In some 50 years never had a problem and we did a lot of dirt roads. I did air the tires down to about 20 when in the dirt, and reinflated them when reaching pavement. We ALWAYS carried a good spare for the trailer, also.
brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 09:33 AM

14" wheels
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 09:51 AM

discount tire...im pretty sure in calif you HAVE to buy trailer tires

buy the warrantee

dis.jpg - 82kB

[Edited on 5-16-2017 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 10:19 AM

Take 2 spares.
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 10:43 AM

yes too all of the above, but I prefer 8-ply esp. for Baja
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 11:31 AM

I have a pair here wheels and tires. I bought them for my 14' tin boat but turned out they are a little tall for easy beach launch. good price.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 5-16-2017 at 09:21 PM

Goodyear Marathon.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2017 at 07:16 AM

i have been told that an under-inflated trailer tire will build up heat due to sidewall flex leading to failure. please don't ask how i know.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2017 at 07:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i have been told that an under-inflated trailer tire will build up heat due to sidewall flex leading to failure. please don't ask how i know.

Bob----that is certainly true at higher speeds, like on the hyway, but for poking down rocky dirt roads to get to great camping spots on the SOC tire-heat is not the problem, rocks penetrating or breaking your tires is. The lower inflation pressures enables the tires to absorb those rocks better is the general feeling of many, including my experience. Tin-boats without motors and gear in them are not that heavy, so squishy tires work better in the dirt, I believe.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-17-2017 at 08:26 AM

I agree with Barry. Run the largest tire you can put on your traile and still launch your boat. The correct pressure is determined by the load you are carrying, not what is on the sidewall!

I pull a small utility trailer behind my Kia, and use wheel adapters to run the same rim and all terrain tires in all positions (including spares). The tires are 225/75 R15, and with a light load, I run 10 psi on the highway. It is not just for off road, there are plenty of potholes, topes, and other hazards that large soft tires take the pain out of.

Another point, small diameter tires have more revolutions per mile, which put more strain on tires, and wheel bearings.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2017 at 08:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
Goodyear Marathon.

x2

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2017 at 10:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

Bob----that is certainly true at higher speeds, like on the hyway, but for poking down rocky dirt roads to get to great camping spots on the SOC tire-heat is not the problem, rocks penetrating or breaking your tires is. The lower inflation pressures enables the tires to absorb those rocks better is the general feeling of many, including my experience. Tin-boats without motors and gear in them are not that heavy, so squishy tires work better in the dirt, I believe.

i agree barry. as long as the side walls are not overly pooched out , as to make themselves available to sidewall damage.
chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 07:04 AM
tires

Goodyear now has a load range "D"trailer tire thats made in the USA called the
Endurance. Most of the other brands are from China. Discount has them at a fair price.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 08:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chatolj  
Goodyear now has a load range "D"trailer tire thats made in the USA called the
Endurance. Most of the other brands are from China. Discount has them at a fair price.

This is good to know. Many thanks, chatoli. I always end up buying from "Discount Tire" which I believe is the same outfit as "America's Tire"?!?!?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.