Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Fonda
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2005 at 11:05 AM
La Fonda

Went to La Fonda on Valentines day. This was my first experience since the change of ownership.

My first impression was clean, clean, clean!

George told me that they have spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of man hours on refurbishment and the place reflects this. The kitchen has been modernized with a new ceiling and additional vent fans. Floors have been steam cleaned. Walls cleaned and painted.

The service has been upgraded. The staff is under constant supervision and this translates into more attentive service.

The menu is unchanged and to my knowledge so are the prices. Our guests noted that the portions were smaller but as we still couldn't finish what was served I wouldn't say by much.

The bill was accurate, music was excellent!

My only complaint was the price of drinks. Two rounds of c-cktails effectively doubled our check.(None were premium calls.)

Note: La Fonda is still using a 10/1 exchange rate. This translates into almost 10% savings if you pay in Pesos.

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2005 at 12:36 PM

I guess the new cleanliness campaign means that the funky smells of La Fonda past (burro, chicken coop, etc.) are forever consigned to memory. Probably a good thing, too. Can't wait to order the quail next time and watch my kids tear it up.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2005 at 01:59 PM

Thanks for the update Dave. We too have noticed the clean quotient rising. :biggrin:

We usually bring at LEAST one bottle of wine with us, $8.00 corkage if they remember to add it on.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2005 at 07:04 PM

Good riddance to bad news. Glad to hear this.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 05:49 PM

Well, it seems this info warrants a second chance, but the 10 to 1 peso exchange says a lot about management, not even Tijuana Taxi drivers take the dollar at 10, and they are usually the last people to be fair with the exchange rate.
Ralphino

[*] posted on 3-23-2005 at 10:25 AM
La Fonda

Food is just as good at Puerto Nuevo, with drinks less expensive and no 'rip off' on exchange. Have opted several times to go elsewhere just because of the added 10%+ on exchange, when I have not had pesos.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-23-2005 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Well, it seems this info warrants a second chance, but the 10 to 1 peso exchange says a lot about management, not even Tijuana Taxi drivers take the dollar at 10, and they are usually the last people to be fair with the exchange rate.

you are in Mexico Carry pesos. when a business gives a low exchange rate that means they they would rather you bring pesos. some times it is a long way to the bank or it is inconvenient for them to make the trip. there food and service is there specialty not banking.:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-23-2005 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralphino
Food is just as good at Puerto Nuevo, with drinks less expensive and no 'rip off' on exchange. Have opted several times to go elsewhere just because of the added 10%+ on exchange, when I have not had pesos.

why do you try to spend foreign money in Mexico and complain about the rate. you are lucky they take it many places don't. what rate would you give me if I brought pesos to you in the US?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2005 at 11:01 AM

That's easy. If I were a merchant in the U.S. and tourism revenues were the second largest source of income as it is in Mexico, I'd use common sense and cater to my customers by accommodating their needs in currency exchange. Every merchant has to go to the bank anyway, whether it's far, inconvenient, or not. Another thing I'd do is open the new day with a supply of change in the drawer.

What national cry would then replace "No Hay Cambio"?:lol:
jfc123

[*] posted on 3-23-2005 at 12:52 PM

Most of the folks/merchants that I've come accross prefer you pay in dollars.

The extra money made from the exchange rate variance subsides their profits/income.

They also deal with each other at the going rate from what I've been told.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 03:59 PM

La Fonda in La Paz on Bravo and Prieto is an outstanding little Mexican restaurant with great fare and very fair pricing.
A must if you spend any time there.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.