Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-17-2017 at 10:08 PM

I for one enjoy Davids posts also your new great book Thank You
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-17-2017 at 10:27 PM

drama queen of the year. :yawn:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2017 at 10:42 PM

No post is complete until old Chucky and Budda pull their panties up and jump into the pile. This one stayed on track for a while until goat inserted a little fake news.:lol::lol:

[Edited on 5-18-2017 by LancairDriver]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
Perhaps the 50,000 post should be the cover of your 'roadmap' book?

Seems like the ride for you on BN has been a road trip in itself DK...
Thanks from this one for the reads I've enjoyed in the relatively short time I've been here.

P.S. You wear the miles well :)

Thank you, the post count means nothing to me, but whatever creates activity here is great for Doug! Click on the banner ads to help Nomad and use Baja Bound for your insurance, the sponsor of Baja Nomad!

Anytime you want to see something on Baja you think I may have, just ask!

Freediverbrian: It's all about history. The small, well-sheltered harbor between Alfonsina's and Papa Fernandez' is the original Bahía San Luis Gonzaga, named by Padre Consag in 1746 during his canoe expedition to the Colorado Delta.
The larger, more open bay, between Alfonsina's and Punta Final, is the Ensenada de San Francisquito.
Punta Final resort location was originally Puerto de San Francisquito, where gold from the Molino de San Francisquito (Molino de Lacy now) was shipped out.

I can not blame anyone for wanting to call the dual bay complex both 'Gonzaga Bay' as it is far easier than the other name! LOL

That the true Gonzaga Bay is also called 'Willard Bay' is another matter... all an error by U.S. (H.O.) map makers. The point at Papa Fernandez' is correctly Punta Willard, but the harbor (bay) and island in the bay are correctly named San Luis Gonzaga.

The more frustrating part is when Mexican government topo maps make errors, and they did here, too!

Here is the first map with the name Bahía San Luis Gonzaga (with the island in the center) made by Padre Consag after his 1746 expedition. Yes, you can argue it was for both sides of the island. San Felipe (de Jesus) and Punta (Aguage) San Fermin are also named here. Aguage means water source, very critical for travelers along this coast!

1930 Map:

1956 Map:

'San Francisquito' was the waterhole on El Camino Real (next to Las Arrastras), the arroyo between it and the gulf was also then called San Francisquito, the mill founded by Willian Lacy was called San Francisquito, and the landing (port) and bay were called San Francisquito. Perhaps as a way to separate it from Gonzaga so ships knew exactly where to land?

1962 Map:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
drama queen of the year. :yawn:
OHHH another sissy post from sissy drama queen of Baja blow hard :?:
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
Palm Tree pic for 50,000!

Seriously, thanks for your many valuable contributions!

[Edited on 5-18-2017 by BigBearRider]

Thank you for that!!!
I hope to continue to share what fascinates me about Baja and help others enjoy it as I have for over 50 years...

I have been woking on the new road guide and I hope to be able to give you all a sneak look at some of it. It will probably take me all year to produce including the research trips to collect the data.

I hope if you need people to proof read it, etc. we/I get first shot! Keep posting... I love the new baja but really love the old baja (> 20 years ago) even more.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 04:55 PM

Oh yes, I have a couple Nomads who are seeing it and reviewing what I have written so far... even taking it to Baja to see how it works and one has come back from Gonzaga and said it worked great. It is up to BajaGeoff as to when I can give a preview here.

I am working on Part 4 (San Quintin to Guerrero Negro) now.
Part 1: San Felipe to Punta San Francisquito (via L.A. Bay)
Part 2: San Ignacio to Loreto, San Javier, Comondu, La Purisima
Part 3 Mexicali to San Felipe, Valle Chico, El Rosario side trips
Part 4 Hwy. 5 to San Vicente, San Quintin to Guerrero Negro, Distant Pacific roads.

I have at least 3 more trips approved:
Vizcaino Region (El Arco-El Barril, Abreojos-Tortugas-Vizcaino)
Loreto to Cabo and as many side roads as I can get to.
Tecate-Ensenada-San Quintin-Observatory-Valle Trinidad-Ensenada

That still leaves a lot of Baja not covered, Hwy. 2, Sierra Juarez, San Ignacio-San Juanico, etc. and a whole lot more. Support Baja Bound Insurance, who also sponsors this site, Baja Nomad!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 05:37 AM

I am looking forward to the book - we will use it for our first jeep adventure into Baja :)
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 09:28 PM

Are you deleting all of your posts that should have been in OFF-TOPIC?
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 09:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBill74  
Whenever someone make a post, there is a count of the number of posts they have made. About two weeks ago, David's count showed as 49988 and stayed that way for several days. It has been as high as 49993 (earlier today) and was just back to 49980 a few minutes ago. Does anyone know how this works?

Maybe its the Russians :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 05:18 AM
Where's the Fish?

Heading to Ensenada de San Francisquito Bay in a few hours after picking up some dry ice for 10 lbs of squid and 24 Klondike bars for our team of six old farts in 3 boats. Just bought a small Yeti Tundra 35 cooler just for that purpose. Thanks for the history lesson of this area. At least now I'll know where I'm officially at.

Do you ever get your line wet on your many adventures along Baja's coastline?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 05:22 AM

Don't get the squid and the Klondike bars confused! Have a GRAND trip...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 08:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lobsterman  
Heading to Ensenada de San Francisquito Bay in a few hours after picking up some dry ice for 10 lbs of squid and 24 Klondike bars for our team of six old farts in 3 boats. Just bought a small Yeti Tundra 35 cooler just for that purpose. Thanks for the history lesson of this area. At least now I'll know where I'm officially at.

Do you ever get your line wet on your many adventures along Baja's coastline?

LOL, even I call it Gonzaga Bay, for short!
My fishing days pretty much ended when my dad died. Fishing was the reason we began going to Baja by Jeep. It soon turned into exploring trips as my parents were as fascinated with what was down those dirt roads as I became later in my life. I fished a few times with a spinning reel and rod as well as with my kids when they were small. Now, we are into 'easy' and buying a fish dinner or fish tacos is all the satisfaction I need.

Here's a few old pics:

Catching dorado off Juncalito (south of Loreto) with Ramon Villalejo, 1973.

Catching dorado off Cabo San Lucas in 1966.

BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 04:29 PM

David K, thank you for the info on the Gonzaga area. I read your write up on it shortly after being there weeks ago, and enjoyed reading it again, along with the maps. I now know the correct name of the bay where I saw the whale sharks. Me encanta eso lugar.

Keep it up, 100k posts isn't that far away. Imagine all the bunched up panties...!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 05:41 PM

LOL, thanks... I think it is good enough to just know the history, and not change the way we say the bay's name. We inform... YOU decide! :cool:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 02:41 PM

DK:
4 posts to go!
I heard that your prize is a new Gateway 2000 laptop with 486 processor and 80 MB hard disk!
BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 03:04 PM

I don't know how to make previous posts appear in a box identifying the poster, but below is a post from goat.

DK:
4 posts to go!
I heard that your prize is a new Gateway 2000 laptop with 486 processor and 80 MB hard disk!

I might add that it will have two serial ports and one parallel.

Perhaps for post number 50000 David can tell me how to insert a blue box.

What I'm doing at work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

One should believe in God, because even Google doesn't know everything.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 03:34 PM

David K - 50K ! - Today ?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 03:40 PM

I don't know how to make previous posts appear in a box identifying the poster, but below is a post from goat.

DK:
4 posts to go!

Really simple Bill, click the QUOTE box top right of the post you wish, and when it comes up click your cursor to the right of the[r /quote ] box, and type away.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 04:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
It works

DK:
4 posts to go!

Really simple Bill, click the QUOTE box top right of the post you wish, and when it comes up click your cursor to the right of the[r /quote ] box, and type away.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.