Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: FMM card
jodiego
Nomad

Mood: ever hopeful

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 11:43 AM
FMM card

Planning on making a couple of day trips down to Rosarito and Ensenada. Will need to renew my insurance and Discover Baja sent me an email encouraging me to get an FMM card. I have been down many times since the "new" law regarding FMM cards started in 2015 and have not had one or been asked to show one and the info I read on the Discover Baja site seems as confusing as info always has regarding these cards. Do people recommend that I get one? Without one, is my insurance invalid? Does everyone in my party need one? Are they free for day visits? Are they good for 180 days? Can I pick one up here in the states and do I need to get it validated at immigration inside the border? Is it a hassle to just pick it up at the border and is it still free. Answers, suggestions, recommendations all thankfully accepted.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 11:59 AM
FMM

Do people recommend that I get one?
Yes, it is the law, enforced or not

Without one, is my insurance invalid?
Check with your insurance carrier

Does everyone in my party need one?
Yes, to be legal in Mexico

Are they free for day visits?
Up to 7 days are free

Are they good for 180 days?
The 180 day FMM is about $25 US

Can I pick one up here in the states and do I need to get it validated at immigration inside the border?
Yes, it still needs to be validated at INM

Is it a hassle to just pick it up at the border and is it still free?
No hassle, the free FMM is good for up to 7 days

Answers, suggestions, recommendations all thankfully accepted.......
Stop and get one (the free one or the 180 day one). A great experience interacting with Mexican Immigration

[Edited on 5-18-2017 by bajaguy]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 12:14 PM

What bajaguy said, 100%!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 12:38 PM

So many people either are un-aware, or at least un-accustomed to getting one, that I am surprised it is not a common shake down for a mordida!

I used to be one of the un-aware travelers, but I got one last time and it was no big deal.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 12:48 PM

SFandH....probably a good call! ;)
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 01:07 PM
FMM Secret

I always have a great experience and have never had any problems getting my FMM..........my secret??

Whenever I go to a business or an event in the US and they have give-away ball point pens, I always ask if I can take 2 or 3. When I have collected about 20, I put them in a zip lock bag and give them to the INM officers at whatever border crossing I use.........works like a charm and they are very appreciative
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 04:32 PM

Very well put Bajaguy, some here seem to wear it as a badge
of honor not to get an fmm, with comments like, 'I drove to
the tip without one', 'never checked for one'. I generally go
thru Mexicali, I'm guessing that Imm office see' s no more
than 20% of the tourists that enter Baja there
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2017 at 09:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Very well put Bajaguy, some here seem to wear it as a badge
of honor not to get an fmm, with comments like, 'I drove to
the tip without one', 'never checked for one'. I generally go
thru Mexicali, I'm guessing that Imm office see' s no more
than 20% of the tourists that enter Baja there

And I'd be willing to bet that lots of those folks are the same ones who rail against illegal immigrants in the US.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 06:08 AM

My friend and her girlfriends flew to her place in La Paz (from TJ). She told me they no longer required an FMM for only a 2-3 day (weekend) trip. She said this was new to her, as she spends summers in La Paz.

I got mine a couple months back. I crossed the border at 6AM and there was no one there. Getting the FMM took a couple minutes and I was on the way. Just stay to the right and park behind the white gated area.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 07:32 AM

That she already was in Mexico for the Tijuana to La Paz flight was why there was no checking her for one. When you enter Mexico or get on a plane going to Mexico from the U.S. is where you are supposed to have one. There is an INM desk at the Tijuana airport if someone forgot to stop at the border where everyone traveling by land is supposed to get it or get a prepaid one validated.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 06:04 AM

All the travel club sites have the info up regarding FMM requirements. Bajaguy nailed it. I use mine for two entries - one in May and one in October. My club says you don't have to return it if you are not flying (the airline collects it).
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 06:22 AM

Ok, typically we enter Baja through the Mexicali East crossing but now and then we enter at Tecate.

My wife will have her pre-paid FMM from Discover Baja but where exactly would she validate it at Tecate? Right hand side or left hand side when you enter the border?

This would be next Friday morning, would it be open by 6 a.m.?

[Edited on 5-20-2017 by BajaWarrior]

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 06:46 AM

Not sure about the 6am opening, the INM is the building on your right just as you cross the border.

There is no parking in front of the building, you have to drive around the block to their parking lot.

As you cross the border, make a right turn at the first stoplight intersection. Proceed to the first intersection on your right and make a right turn. About 1/2 way up that block there will be an alley on your right. Turn right into that alley and park in the lot, there should be an attendant.

After you deal with INM, proceed out of the alley and turn right, This will put you on the street just below the Aduana (Customs) gates. At the first stoplight (again), this time turn left and proceed to the next stoplight and turn right....this will put you on the road to Hwy 3 and Ensenada

Quote: Originally posted by BajaWarrior  
Ok, typically we enter Baja through the Mexicali East crossing but now and then we enter at Tecate.

My wife will have her pre-paid FMM from Discover Baja but where exactly would she validate it at Tecate? Right hand side or left hand side when you enter the border?

This would be next Friday morning, would it be open by 6 a.m.?

[Edited on 5-20-2017 by BajaWarrior]
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 07:34 AM

If you are flying from Tijuana to anywhere in Mex using your FMM (180 days) and return to Tijuana and then plan on staying in Mexico for a few extra days don't let the Mexico Immigration keep your visa at the Tijuana airport. Tell them you plan on staying in the country for a few more days. Years ago prior to my Residente Permenante I would be asked for it and gave it up when immigration insisted. It's good for the 180 days as long as you don't return to the US.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 01:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lizard lips  
It's good for the 180 days as long as you don't return to the US.

The nuances of the fmm/tourist card will go on forever because
Mex Imm does not have an across the board policy. With the
6 or so entry points into Baja, one can find perhaps 4 different
Mex Imm office regs re: the fmm. Crossed into Baja at
Mexicail west a week ago. They were once again firm on
me returning the free 7 day fmm, which I believe they are
the only office requiring that. Said the 180 day can be
used for mulitiple entries. One cannot walk into TJ without
getting the 7 day or having the 180 day card. I understand
day trips into Mexicali, Mex Imm does not require an fmm.
Obviously the bulk of the $ Mex Imm collects, is from
International flights into Mex where the fmm cost is included
in the ticket, and the fmm is collected on departure, thus
making it one entry
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 5-21-2017 at 04:43 PM

Back in the day when Terminal #1 had American, Continental and Mexicana Airlines I had flown GDL- SJD. As I was walking out of the Mexicana Airline side of the terminal a Federal Policeman started walking directly toward me. He finally said..."do you have a tourist card?" I smiled politely, held up my FM-3 book while I answered him in Spanish..."Tengo un FM-3."

I do have a "pale Irish redheaded complexion" so it was obvious he thought or was hoping I would not have the proper tourist form coming off a Mexicana airplane. Since he had no way of knowing where my flight originated maybe he thought I had flown-in from TIJ. I do not know as I did not ask, I could tell he was disappointed by the snarl on his face.

Sancho...Even more money is collected from tourists when they check-in for their return flight only to find out they need the bottom half of the tourist form in order to board their flight...the one that they can't find or some even throw away! One tourist told me it cost her $100 USD.

mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2017 at 10:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Quote: Originally posted by lizard lips  
It's good for the 180 days as long as you don't return to the US.

The nuances of the fmm/tourist card will go on forever because
Mex Imm does not have an across the board policy. With the
6 or so entry points into Baja, one can find perhaps 4 different
Mex Imm office regs re: the fmm. Crossed into Baja at
Mexicail west a week ago. They were once again firm on
me returning the free 7 day fmm, which I believe they are
the only office requiring that. Said the 180 day can be
used for mulitiple entries. One cannot walk into TJ without
getting the 7 day or having the 180 day card. I understand
day trips into Mexicali, Mex Imm does not require an fmm.
Obviously the bulk of the $ Mex Imm collects, is from
International flights into Mex where the fmm cost is included
in the ticket, and the fmm is collected on departure, thus
making it one entry

Tecate has also advised travelers I have been with to return the 7 day FMM. Also stated no need to return the paid ( >7 day) FMM.

[Edited on 5-22-2017 by mjs]
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 05:28 AM

We always use Bajabound insurance. Has anybody confirmed one way or another with Bajabound if the FMM is needed to validate their insurance policies?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 06:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mrfatboy  
We always use Bajabound insurance. Has anybody confirmed one way or another with Bajabound if the FMM is needed to validate their insurance policies?

If you are risk-averse enough to buy insurance when driving in Mexico, I would think that same risk aversion would motivate you to comply with immigration laws, eh?

mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 06:35 AM

I didn't say I was not conforming to immigration laws. I was just asking a simple question. Don't assume, eh?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.