Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: FMM card
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 06:46 AM

Geoff has posted here that he consulted with the company, and at that time the answer was that they will not use immigration laws as a reason to not cover their clients. To be comfortable with this, just email or u2u BajaGeoff.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 07:12 AM

To be comfortable with this, I suggest you get the FMM. Not that I doubt Geoff, but better be safe than sorry

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Geoff has posted here that he consulted with the company, and at that time the answer was that they will not use immigration laws as a reason to not cover their clients. To be comfortable with this, just email or u2u BajaGeoff.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 07:22 AM

I think we (responsible Nomads) all agree to follow the immigration law. The question was about auto insurance, just to be clear. In the course of an accident or car theft, one may lose that piece of paper that is an FMM.

[Edited on 5-22-2017 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 07:57 AM

No, David, not "all" follow the Immigration law as you well know, and always
keep the FMM on your person so you don't lose that piece of paper

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I think we all agree to follow the immigration law. The question was about auto insurance, just to be clear. In the course of an accident or car theft, one may lose that piece of paper that is an FMM.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 08:57 AM

I did mean you and I, when I said: "we". I have since edited my post by adding "Responsible Nomads". You think our lawyers will be happy know? ;)
Have a great day Terry!

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mrfatboy  
Has anybody confirmed one way or another with Bajabound if the FMM is needed to validate their insurance policies?

If memory serves me, Bajabound said here some time ago
that their 2 Mex Ins Co's, ACE HDI would not invalidate
a policy for lack of an fmm, but also stated check with the
Mex Ins Co. Me, I can think of little worse than being
involved in a serious incident, and being asked for an fmm
and not having one. Whether the Cop, adjuster or whoever
has that authority
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 11:43 AM

Immigration status was the fourth thing the police asked for. 1st, driver's license; 2nd, vehicle registration and 3rd, current Mexican insurance. I really didn't feel it was my place to question his authority in asking about immigration status.

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Quote: Originally posted by mrfatboy  
Has anybody confirmed one way or another with Bajabound if the FMM is needed to validate their insurance policies?

If memory serves me, Bajabound said here some time ago
that their 2 Mex Ins Co's, ACE HDI would not invalidate
a policy for lack of an fmm, but also stated check with the
Mex Ins Co. Me, I can think of little worse than being
involved in a serious incident, and being asked for an fmm
and not having one. Whether the Cop, adjuster or whoever
has that authority
jodiego
Nomad

Mood: ever hopeful

[*] posted on 5-23-2017 at 08:13 AM

Let me throw a curve in this discussion....or maybe just a change up. I read in this forum some time back about someone who had an accident, I believe it was in a town just north of San Quintin and they had a horrible time dealing with local authorities with their insurance. Just how reliable is the insurance if you do get into an accident in baja. Before you jump all over me, I do realize that getting into an accident and NOT having insurance can be very detrimental to your health.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2017 at 08:28 AM

We had a semi-serious accident in Baja (a double rollover), minor injuries to us, major damage to vehicle. We were covered by Bajabound with a policy from HDI. HDI Adjusters showed up within 45 minutes of the accident. Called Geoff at Bajabound the next day, very responsive and was in constant contact with HDI and me. Could not be happier with the service from Bajabound and HDI. Everything taken care of with no problems from the authorities or anyone else.

Quote: Originally posted by jodiego  
Let me throw a curve in this discussion....or maybe just a change up. I read in this forum some time back about someone who had an accident, I believe it was in a town just north of San Quintin and they had a horrible time dealing with local authorities with their insurance. Just how reliable is the insurance if you do get into an accident in baja. Before you jump all over me, I do realize that getting into an accident and NOT having insurance can be very detrimental to your health.
jodiego
Nomad

Mood: ever hopeful

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 11:15 AM

Bajabound or Discover Baja. Any preference when it comes to insurance?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 11:26 AM

They both sell the same two company policies...

Discover Baja requires membership to their club to buy the insurance (a good club with lots of discounts including insurance, motels, etc. and books for sale).

Baja Bound sponsors Baja Nomad and is very active here (Baja Geoff) and with all things on Baja travel (new travel guide, interactive map is in the works).

I have had annual policies with both. Sometimes switching from one to the other to compare ease of purchase and interaction with staff or the online system. I like them both. Because of Baja Bound's support of this site (Baja Nomad), keeping it online for us all, they do get points!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 11:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jodiego  
Bajabound or Discover Baja. Any preference when it comes to insurance?

advice from another message board, stay clear of Qualitas, mexico's largest insurer.

I buy from a mexican broker, why pay an american for a mexican product?

[Edited on 5-25-2017 by willardguy]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.