Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Dirt Road Etiquette
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 08:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Here's another 'etiquette' rule of thumb I noticed on the Crossover Road thread.... when you come face to face on a narrow grade with another vehicle, who backs up? I've always heard the downhill traffic has the right-of-way as a rule, the uphill headed vehicle must back up... depending on who's hauling what. Convenience and COMMON COURTESY rules the roost to me.

Wow, I was always told uphill traffic has the right of way due to clutching a load going uphill after stopping don't always turn out right. The truck headed uphill not having to stop is the goal of the situation.

Es Todo Bueno
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Here's another 'etiquette' rule of thumb I noticed on the Crossover Road thread.... when you come face to face on a narrow grade with another vehicle, who backs up? I've always heard the downhill traffic has the right-of-way as a rule, the uphill headed vehicle must back up... depending on who's hauling what. Convenience and COMMON COURTESY rules the roost to me.

Wow, I was always told uphill traffic has the right of way due to clutching a load going uphill after stopping don't always turn out right. The truck headed uphill not having to stop is the goal of the situation.

Hmmm, interesting. To me the common sense is, it's easier to back up downhill than uphill, especially with a load on. However, again the common sense applies to who has the easier ability to back up due to load and convenience of terrain. Interesting debatable situations, que no?

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 06:31 AM

"When 2 vehicles meet on a steep road where neither vehicle can pass, the vehicle facing downhill must yield the right-of-way by backing up until the vehicle going uphill can pass. The vehicle facing downhill has the greater amount of control when backing up the hill."

The above is from California Driver's handbook DMV. This is what I remember being taught. Think trying to back down a hill where the road drops off out of sight.

In reality, the closer one to a wide spot should consider backing.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 06:58 AM

Correct, but it caused a lot of issues when the two drivers do not get together and decide which was is the safest one to back up. Trail etiquette requires both drivers to participate.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 07:17 AM

I stand corrected. Thanks, Jefe.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 06:35 PM

Actually, Jefe is equivocado y buddah is correctamundo. This fall my neighbor in remote Calif. was going up a muddy road to his house when he saw a jacked pickup barreling toward him. He stopped. The truck ran into him. Law actually sez uphill traffic yields. Result: his insurance co. had to pay. He was a little upset. Go figure!
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 06:58 PM

I would like to add my 2C to the speed bump discussion. For many reasons they are a bad idea. Not the least of which is the very real possibility of damage to emergency vehicles. Not only damage but a significant reduction of response time. Emergency vehicles, especially fire trucks are VERY heavy and have to slow to a crawl to avoid suspension and axel damage. In the 90's Berkeley installed a bunch of s-bumps. Most of them were removed shortly thereafter Due to slow response times. There are other problems with them but I don't want to bore you.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 09:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  

Hmmm, interesting. To me the common sense is, it's easier to back up downhill than uphill, especially with a load on. However, again the common sense applies to who has the easier ability to back up due to load and convenience of terrain. Interesting debatable situations, que no?

The logic that I read is that it is safer to reverse up the hill. One good reason is that drum brakes have poor stopping power in reverse.
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2017 at 07:17 AM

Actually, if you think about it, it is much easier for the uphill traffic to back down. There are any number of scenarios where a rear wheel vehicle, going downhill, physically could not back up. Additionally, in California anyway, it's the law.

[Edited on 5-27-2017 by weebray]
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2017 at 07:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Actually, Jefe is equivocado y buddah is correctamundo. This fall my neighbor in remote Calif. was going up a muddy road to his house when he saw a jacked pickup barreling toward him. He stopped. The truck ran into him. Law actually sez uphill traffic yields. Result: his insurance co. had to pay. He was a little upset. Go figure!

No you are equivocado and Jefe is right. Google is your friend:P
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-27-2017 at 07:53 AM

I would like to add my 2C to the speed bump discussion. For many reasons they are a bad idea. Not the least of which is the very real possibility of damage to emergency vehicles. Not only damage but a significant reduction of response time. Emergency vehicles, especially fire trucks are VERY heavy and have to slow to a crawl to avoid suspension and axel damage. In the 90's Berkeley installed a bunch of s-bumps. Most of them were removed shortly thereafter Due to slow response times. There are other problems with them but I don't want to bore you.

And the emergency response times would be even shorter if we all lived in hospitals!

I'm not really aware of their being any prompt emergency services in baja, so slowing of nonexistent fire trucks by speed bumps in baja seems to be a silly argument against speed bumps.

Sometimes quality of life and pedestrian safety in a neighborhood are more important than a minute or 2 of emergency response time.
If you are worried about ER response time, you should move to an apt or house next to the fire station, eh?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2017 at 08:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Correct, but it caused a lot of issues when the two drivers do not get together and decide which was is the safest one to back up. Trail etiquette requires both drivers to participate.

I have found most passer-bys on remote dirt roads to be pretty polite, and logical solution often arrived at wordlessly with just a friendly wave of one letting the other go first.
The only problems I have found is meeting knuckle draggers that are using remote roads as A race course, and the faster they drive the bigger jerks they are. These same people rarely slow to avoid dust storms as they pass pedestrians, houses, cars, etc.

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2017 at 02:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

How strange, in view of El Jefe's quote from the DMV manual. You happen to have any reference to the actual law involved in that case? :?:

They probably paid due to reckless driving, not the uphill urban legend thing

Again the goal is to not to have any one stop, the downhill truck is responsible for a safe PASS, his speed can be modulated easier.

Imagine every one coming to a stop on a level road when passing.

Es Todo Bueno
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2017 at 11:29 AM

My decades on the East Cape driving into town and back always dictated crawling through the shotgun roads villages, to prevent dust for the inhabitants.

That went for meeting other vehicles on the coast road, where I would slow to a crawl when passing other vehicles as a sign of mutual respect and not dusting them.

It was always appreciated, whether it was locals or not. The personal cost was minimal in the end and the respect for others was a reward onto itself.

This should be something we all should observe when bumping along a washboard road. We are all in the same boat. after all, when off the pavement.
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2017 at 05:05 PM

Not sure what the DMV sez. don't care either. I DO know that my friend was run into by a truck coming down hill too fast on a one lane road with no shoulder. (read no possible place to pass) He stopped and the truck skidded into him. Police were miles/hours away. They both drove away. The insurance companies involved named him as responsible party and his insurance co. had to pay. He was livid. I know that road very well and there is absolutely no way an unloaded two wheel p/u could back up that hill - sorry ain't happening. Yu guys can bat this ping pong ball all you want, all I can do is report what I know. I don't have a pony in this race.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-28-2017 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I have found most passer-bys on remote dirt roads to be pretty polite, and logical solution often arrived at wordlessly with just a friendly wave of one letting the other go first.
The only problems I have found is meeting knuckle draggers that are using remote roads as A race course, and the faster they drive the bigger jerks they are. These same people rarely slow to avoid dust storms as they pass pedestrians, houses, cars, etc.

Lets see now the only Knuckle dragger form San Diego is you looser Mt66. You where offered 10 grand cash to show us what a Man you are. You declined little sissy so anything you post is pure BS. Your the whip blow hard the offer still good 10 grand. Dont hide behind under the table get out ride a dirt bike . Baja is not the place for looser from San Diego stay home. Dirt bikes are respectable smart people,would be the first to help a looser like you. That is not smart enough to drive on a dirt road.:?::?::?::?:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2017 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

Lets see now the only Knuckle dragger form San Diego is you looser Mt66. You where offered 10 grand cash to show us what a Man you are. You declined little sissy so anything you post is pure BS. Your the whip blow hard the offer still good 10 grand. Dont hide behind under the table get out ride a dirt bike . Baja is not the place for looser from San Diego stay home. Dirt bikes are respectable smart people,would be the first to help a looser like you. That is not smart enough to drive on a dirt road.:?::?::?::?:

so where is the money? I told you to show me the money, put it in a reliable "escrow," and I will come down to kick your wimpy a$$ :lol::lol::lol::lol: :P:P:P:P:P
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-28-2017 at 10:12 PM

...... Dirt bikes are respectable smart people,would be the first to help a looser like you. That is not smart enough to drive on a dirt road.:?::?::?::?:

If your spelling and grammar were a bit more together, you might have a point.....however....:rolleyes:

Goat attacks us off-roaders and calls us knuckledraggers....as I know that is sometimes true, I don't get into that battle with him.

And as I know I am not one, I don't take offense.

Don't believe everything you think....
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2017 at 11:43 PM

Good topic. Either you are empathetic to locals, pedestrians, environment, other drivers, or you are not. I don't like having dust and glory kicked into my face so I don't do that to others. Vigilant pacifism.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 09:00 AM

so where is the money? I told you to show me the money, put it in a reliable "escrow," and I will come down to kick your wimpy a$$ :lol::lol::lol::lol: :P:P:P:P:P
When you backed out of 10 grand offer . You showed all on Baja Nomad your a wimp scared full of BS. Just a wrinkled up old fart that is envious of anyone that rides a dirt bike.Poor old tourist looser I dont take offense from your brainless posts. Just one day when your on a dirt road. Stuck in the sand because your too stupid to drive a truck. You may have us dig you out,but not before we remind you.What low life you are.;D
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.