BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Want to live longer? Read on. Literally.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 02:46 PM
Want to live longer? Read on. Literally.

Author Anna Burke recently summarized a research study that I found astonishing....so I am sharing:

Here's some really good news about reading--if you haven't already heard about it. Not only does reading treat you to all those imagined lives, it extends our real lives. Yale University researchers published a study in the journal Social Science & Medicine that concluded “book readers experienced a 20 percent reduction in risk of mortality over the 12 years of follow-up compared to non-book readers.”

After taking many other factors into account like education level, income and health status, study participants who read up to 3.5 hours — an average of a half-hour a day — were 17 percent less likely to die in the 12 year follow-up period. Those who read more than 3.5 hours weekly were 23 percent less likely to die during that same time frame. Sort of like exercise without the sweat. A chapter a day keeps the grim reaper at bay--a little longer, anyway!

THIS IS A LINK TO THE RESEARCH RESULTS:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27471129

Read on Bajanomads!! It is good for your health!!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2017 at 04:16 PM

Great news!! I'd much rather lie back in my zero gravity chair and read than exercise.

I guess I could do both every day...........maybe......................

naw, I might hurt myself exercising.

[Edited on 5-20-2017 by SFandH]
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 05:34 AM

You can do them both at the same time... audio books are my fave these days, especially for the three days drive to our baja place. WHICH IS TOMORROW YIPPEE.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 11:46 AM

Audio books do not engage your brain in the same way that actual reading does.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 12:24 PM

Well, I wonder WHAT it is about reading that makes one live longer, and therefore would affect living longer. One thought is that by reading a good story, one can escape the humdrum and/or the extreme stress of life. If this is the case, then it does not matter whether it is oral or read.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Well, I wonder WHAT it is about reading that makes one live longer

It's a good example of correlation without causation.

The act of reading doesn't cause you to live longer. Speaking in generalities, people who read regularly are more intelligent than those who don't and intelligent people live longer.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/research-confirms...

GypsyJan
Nomad

Mood: "If a dog will not come to you after looking you in the face, examine your conscience." Woodrow W

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 08:02 PM
In My Humble Opinion

As a lifelong reader, I believer that the trifecta; eye-to-brain-to- body reinforces and nourishes the synapses and physical well being.

Read the info, absorb the info, move on to the next idea that advances you.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2017 at 07:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
You can do them both at the same time... audio books are my fave these days, especially for the three days drive to our baja place. WHICH IS TOMORROW YIPPEE.

I'm with you on the audio books. My last trip to Baja I was listening to Sherlock Holmes. Sometime back Blanca ask what some of us thought about the book "Survivors" by Ben Sherwood. I got the CD version and so far I have only listened to the first CD, there are 10 total. Well my GMC CD player won't eject it so I'll have to fix it to continue.

Blanca, I did enjoy it and found it very interesting.

I also like to read books but I chose them carefully as some have small print and my eyes are not what they use to be. I'm presently reading Camp and Camino in Lower California by Arthur North. David K mentioned it sometime back.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2017 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

I also like to read books but I chose them carefully as some have small print and my eyes are not what they use to be.

Time for a Kindle e-book reader. Select the font size and line spacing that works for you. Among other amazing advantages.
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 5-21-2017 at 10:48 AM

I second that, SFandH. Kindle or Kobo, much easier for the eyes, but not the same feeling as a real book in your hands.

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 5-21-2017 at 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Well, I wonder WHAT it is about reading that makes one live longer, and therefore would affect living longer. One thought is that by reading a good story, one can escape the humdrum and/or the extreme stress of life. If this is the case, then it does not matter whether it is oral or read.

Careful, about saying reading makes one live longer.

At best their seems to be a correlation between two variables, reading and living longer, but who knows how strong that correlation is or the possible methodology errors in the study, because the link, doesn't show the whole study.

Off the top of my head, I would say book readers on average are more educated, have higher incomes, and eat better, than non-book readers, and therefore, would live longer. I would also believe book readers, have a lower probability of getting into an accident, because they are reading books instead of risking their lives in a real adventure. I would also believe book readers, suffer less age related brain issues, and also live longer.

The study claims, they did even the play field, and accounted for , age, sex, race, education, comorbidities, self-rated health, wealth, marital status, and depression, but I have my doubts, because that would take a very large sample of people, much more than this study claims.

My guess, this study was probably funded by book publishers.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2017 at 11:42 AM

I do both kindle and books with bigger print. I love my kindle!! So many excellent freebees and I take the time to write reviews which the authors appreciate.

I am happy that you liked the book Tom. I enjoyed it since I saw survival skills in action.

Now, I use kindle for computers and I got it with a free kindle download on Amazon.

Come visit La Bocana

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 5-21-2017 at 01:43 PM

Can some please tell me how much extra time I gained by reading this thread? I hoping at least a year or two. :biggrin:

I think I gained at least 5 years trying to figure out the manual for my new drone.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2017 at 04:31 PM

hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa good one Howard!

yes, I suppose you are right JJJ, but children singing 30 min. a day has been proven to improve grades, considerably so.

However, it also seems that writers travel extensively in order to acquire the information necessary for their tales, which would increase the chance of an accident ergo early death.

I like the theory of the brain synapses.

Come visit La Bocana

GypsyJan
Nomad

Mood: "If a dog will not come to you after looking you in the face, examine your conscience." Woodrow W

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 04:15 PM
Watch Emma Watson Leave Books Around the New York City Subway

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2017/03/emma-watson-books-ne...

BajaBlanca, I thought you might want to share this with your students. I leave books is random locations, as well.

[Edited on 5-22-2017 by GypsyJan]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.