BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anyone get hassled when crossing Sentri with a loaded car?
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 05:45 PM
Anyone get hassled when crossing Sentri with a loaded car?

So I've had my SENTRI for 5 years now (I am waiting for the renewal as we speak). I very rarely go to Baja unless I cam doing some sort of camping. I've crossed about 50-75 times with my SENTRI and a pretty loaded Land Cruiser with camp gear.

Today however as I was coming back north, the CBP officer was very upset about me having a "full" SUV of gear. He said I was violating SENTRI laws, and that he could revoke my card, send me to secondary, etc.

Anyways, since I've been home I'm trying to find the rules and see if it explicitly says anything about this. I don't recall seeing anything and I've never had another officer even mention anything. He said that I need to use the Ready lanes next time.

Anyone have info or other experiences with this?

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 06:17 PM

How full is full?
I never have any probs with family + camp gear, but we are not pack rats full to gills.
I see some people go camping with 1,500 lbs of cargo, pickup mounded to the sky, and that probably violates the spirit if not the letter of the law, eh?
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 06:22 PM

It is me and my wife. We tent camp, bring surf and dive equipment, food, water, 12v fridge. Nothing over the top. I always make sure that I can see fully out of the back window.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 06:53 PM

Maybe call the check point and ask to speak to a supervisor to get the right information? Just to make sure for the next time.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 07:28 PM

What does it say on the forms you filled out?

It should specify if this is just for human cargo or can it include camping gear.

I did think Sentri was (mostly) for people who work in the U.S. but live in T.J. or those who cross frequently but not in vehicles loaded where contraband may be hidden??? Like folks who had to cross the border a lot and not have to idle in long lines so much.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 08:56 PM

It's a coin toss. Best thing to do is call their bluff. Say you are aware you have a lot of stuff and it goes against the spirit of the sentri lane. You would like to go into secondary as you are not in a hurry.

Done it a few times. Once I went into secondary, it's a 15 minute dog sniff. Good time to stretch, take a quick nap or hit the head.

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2017 at 10:19 AM

I can't remember about the forms I filled out aside from a few things that didn't apply to me (Like having a camper, tinted windows, etc...). I think I would have remembered if there was anything saying that the car should be relatively empty, and not crossing if you were carrying a lot of items.

I also have friends with SENTRI who do the same thing, contacted them all and never had any issues with coming back with lots of gear.

I do agree that the SENTRI was intended for people who cross for their jobs/business.

The officer did mention that "how on earth would I be able to search your car in 30 seconds or less?". I'm wondering -- no matter what lane I've crossed in, they've never gone through all my camping equipment? That kind of insinuates that everyone carrying stuff in their car that is more than a couple of bags would be required to go to secondary for a full inspection, no?

yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2017 at 10:24 AM

I can't get a Sentri permit. 4x4 truck w/camper and normal camp stuff. I've learned to love secondary and the X-RAYS are doing wonders for my complextion. The CBP dogs always look at me with such dissapointment on their faces.
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2017 at 02:28 PM

I guess it depends on what you mean by "loaded"...........:o

Just kidding, I've had a problem with the spare tire and air bottle carried on top of the suburban. Just admonished that they are not readily available for inspection. "Were those up there when the vehicle was inspected for the program?" Sometimes bring lots of camping gear and two dogs, but no problem with those.

[Edited on 5-21-2017 by Phil C]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
5-24-2017 at 07:44 PM

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.