Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: More Sad News
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 06:44 AM
More Sad News

I was going to post about how good the bait and fish looked the last 2 weeks soon. We've had some really exciting bait boils here and watching huge roosters thrashing thru them up on the beach gave us all some hope. This morning at 0-dark-30 I saw 5 seiners working just outside the islands. At 1st light I counted 7 and when I got up to look down the beach there are 3 more. I talked to a couple folks down the beach and they heard them working all night closer to the beach. So much for a promising start to summer season.http://forums.bajanomad.com/images/smilies/flaming.gif

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 07:09 AM

It'd be nice if someone brought a Torpedo plane down to be used it on the Seiners. They could house it in one of the new hangers.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 07:28 AM

I was out scanning the water with bynocs for any sign of the bait working we've seen the last couple of weeks. No sign of any life out there only seiners. Only 5 now and fewer pongas/pangas.

Edit: There are 3 seiners in this shot but the camera didn't pick them up and 2 more in the bay.

[Edited on 5-22-2017 by Russ]

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 07:50 AM

Sad indeed!

dorado50
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 09:31 AM

So much for the "Bulls Only" tournament this June. :( :( :(
chivatojoe
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 10:40 AM

And additionally sad as reported by a friend walking past fish camp.those huge roosters ( 50 +#) were caught up in the gill netters nets.I guess even as a non table fare species, all things will subcome to a non discerning killing machine. It would be much more enjoyable to see a new fisherperson who has never caught such a magnificent fighting fish catch and release so that another might enjoy the same thrilling experience rather then to be reduced to cat food.:(:(
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 11:01 AM

Mexico is on a suicide mission in many ways.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 11:02 AM

Think global, act local?
Environmental protection is a local thing and a national thing.
Get involved locally, make sure the message resounds nationally.
Most importantly, dont ever vote for pols that campaign on msg that environmental protection is job killer and govt efforts to protect and defend environment must be eliminated.

I am often amused how hunters and fishermen insist on protecting resources for their/public enjoyment then vote for the pols that are happy to open everywhere for wanton clear cutting, drilling and mining :(
chivatojoe
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 11:07 AM

So here's a thought! Since the cooperatives on the West side are so protective of their water resources and would never allow this invasion front the mainland seiners maybe we could talk them into starting a lobster farming operation on this side and bring some talent over to show the locals how to fend off intruders? Maybe build a bunch of artificial concrete feefs that could serve as new habitat and a real deterent to the nets??
I know some may have a different idea for artifical feefs :biggrin:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 11:31 AM

chivatojoe, you are so right! Our fishing cooperative is not allowing anyone to fish for grouper and keep one. Period. No matter that the official fishing license allows it. They have gone overboard with being protective! It took years of explaining how one has to protect the seas and the fish but they got the message LOUD AND CLEAR.

The idea of an artificial reef is quite a good one. National Geographic once had a program where they were being made successfully on some islands - I wish I could remember where.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 11:36 AM

Russ I remember seeing Roosters in Puertecitos Bay in the mid 60's.......Same for Gonzaga,during some periods every morning big Roosters would in in the attack mode chasing Mullet right in front of our camp site, how sad!! Cat food!!
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 11:57 AM

mtgoat666, What the heck are you talking about? Without the sportsmen and women's support for our resources they would have gone under in the States a long time ago and there would be NO reclamation projects going on now. Here we can't vote but many have been talking with the many agencies to enforce the current laws and write some new ones to protect our area. As well as the SOC. I could expound on how irritating your Dibble is for the most part but then the readers here already know.

[Edited on 5-22-2017 by Russ]

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 12:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Think global, act local?
Environmental protection is a local thing and a national thing.
Get involved locally, make sure the message resounds nationally.
Most importantly, dont ever vote for pols that campaign on msg that environmental protection is job killer and govt efforts to protect and defend environment must be eliminated.

I am often amused how hunters and fishermen insist on protecting resources for their/public enjoyment then vote for the pols that are happy to open everywhere for wanton clear cutting, drilling and mining :(

There must be a connection between US national interests and fish in the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific side. Whatever it is looks political. For those political activists, do your thing.

The Mexicans don't care about the Pacific either and unless you're a Mexican activist, there's little a gringo can do. Care? I don't. I stopped after periods of being angry and upset, generally, and thinking I could deter things by cutting buoys and fish lines.

Gill nets can be found at San Pedrito beach from the North to South end. Been going on for years. Few gringoes got involved and that petered out.

If the Mexicans don't care, and they don't, I don't care either. Get over it people or get involved and feel like you're making Mexico a better place. Sad? Kinda a wasted emotion.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 12:39 PM

Russ, wasn't there an organization of sport fisherman a few years back that actually retained legal help and went to La Paz to lobby against this abuse? I cant remember their name but they seemed to get some attention for a while. It s going to take that kind of effort and some pretty deep pockets to make something happen....

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 01:46 PM

Yes there have been several organized attempts to shake things up over the years. Using Mexican businessmen, politicians and lawyers. As tourists we are not allowed to get into the political arena. However like minded Mexicans can and with some support from the locals and tourist attempts have been made. Some of the eco groups have been involved as well. Some action happened in some areas like the Cabos and Loreto. Our area does not get the attention of larger tourist areas with the press getting involved.

aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 02:49 PM

Are these seiners fishing illegally?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 03:34 PM

No, I don't think so...I have seen them with Mexican inspectors on board...

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 04:12 PM

👍

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Mexico is on a suicide mission in many ways.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  
Are these seiners fishing illegally?

We have had so many different answers to that I doubt even the inspectors know.

8knots
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 08:12 PM

We don't do such an amazing job of managing our fish stocks in the US. One notable exception I can think of is MT and their management of trout fishing. The Bozeman airport is full of visitors from all over wanting a chance to fish their rivers. Great fun and great for the economy.

The Pacific NW has no retention on sturgeon, heavily restricted sport fishing for bottom fish and the salmon stocks due to clear cutting, dams, pollution and general loss of habitat have resulted in restricted salmon seasons with the south coast of OR and north coast of CA basically having no salmon season this year. Puget Sound area is a joke for fishing due to having such decimated stocks.

These are just areas I have experience in but you can point all over the US coastal areas and find similar situation.....such as cod in the NE which was almost fished into oblivion.

I beach fish the Pacific in southern Baja 8 months of the year and it saddens me to see how even in the last 5-6 years the increase in nets has had such impact on the beach fishing....even some of the pangerous admit it.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.