Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Punta Chivato help with old info and some good old stories
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 01:24 PM
Punta Chivato help with old info and some good old stories

Some of the residence here are putting together a Punta Chivato History and Old-time Camping Stories book and would like your help and tall tails. This should be a really fun read.
below is the request from George with where to send all those good tails.

Nomad “old timers”... I need help on history of Punta Chivato from 1968 when Dixon Collins, owner of Borrego de Oro was operating the hotel, and 1980 when Bill Alvarado reopened as Hotel Punta Chivato. I’ve talked to Don Johnson and Collin’s widow, but neither can recall owner after Collins or when the ejido took over. Any old-time camping stories at Chivato would help. Info will be included in book titled “At the End of a Very Bad Road” being put together by Punta Chivato owners.
Send to gep2001@att.net or phone 559.269.4105 (George Powell). Thanks

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 01:35 PM

I will email my Dixon Collins photo scans that I have posted here on Nomad. They were from 1966 when the hotel was being built.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 01:53 PM

Thanks DK.
I know there still some old timers that may not post any longer but still browse the forum you can help. And anyone that has friends with some good stories let them know what we're doing. This should be a fun read for everyone. Being accurate for the historical info is important but for the stories... well... they're stories.

[Edited on 5-22-2017 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 02:23 PM

Thanks ... The stories and pictures should be a great addition for all
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 05:06 PM
From Erle Stanley Gardner, creator of Perry Mason...

In this 1967 book (from 1966 exploration trip):

4 pages with Dixon Collins named:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 05:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
Some of the residence here are putting together a Punta Chivato History and Old-time Camping Stories book and would like your help and tall tails. This should be a really fun read.
below is the request from George with where to send all those good tails.

Nomad “old timers”... I need help on history of Punta Chivato from 1968 when Dixon Collins, owner of Borrego de Oro was operating the hotel, and 1980 when Bill Alvarado reopened as Hotel Punta Chivato. I’ve talked to Don Johnson and Collin’s widow, but neither can recall owner after Collins or when the ejido took over. Any old-time camping stories at Chivato would help. Info will be included in book titled “At the End of a Very Bad Road” being put together by Punta Chivato owners.
Send to gep2001@att.net or phone 559.269.4105 (George Powell). Thanks

When I first visited the area in 1974 the hotel was closed, we used to go out there and hang out on the patio. There was a caretaker and we always took him a six pack which made us welcome. Some time later,in the 1980's I think, a man named Bill Alvarado ran the hotel and did a good job. I am not clear on the years but the ejido took it over from him. I saw him in Santa Rosalia and it appeared he was leaving with what he could carry in his car. My impression was that he had been given no notice. I am sure there must be others who remember those years more clearly than I do. Is there no one at PC who was around back then?

On Edit: I missed the mention of Bill Alvarado in the original post.

[Edited on 5-23-2017 by KurtG]
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 5-23-2017 at 05:59 AM

Awesome times in the mid and late 1990's and in to the 2000's camping on that beach. Made a lot of really good friends and had some fun times hanging in the hotel waiting for storms to hit. It was a time that shaped my experience in Baja. Unfortunately we could see the fishing going downhill every year. :-(
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 12:35 AM

I flew in there and stayed a few times. Bill Alvarado was running it.
The runway is easy and they had a fuel pump. It made flying easier to stop there on the way south.
The rooms were rustic and cool. I think it was $55/night.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 02:29 AM

Found something posted by the late Baja Bernie, of interest:

Quote: Originally posted by Baja Bernie  
A book I enjoyed and one that gets little attention is "One Hell of a Ride, The Life and Times of Lou Federico..............He has seen most of the seamy side of Baja and survived it. The book covers a lot of time outside of Baja and is full of bombastic adventures but when he gets to Baja he tells it like it still is behind the scenes.......I got a kick out of it In another life he probably would have been a Italian Don.

He built the Hotel Punta Chivato and before that the Hotel Rancho Loma LInda, 1961, in Mulege.

I just picked it up and started reading it again so I gotta go.

Oh! Yeah! He is older than me......and I like that every once in a while...........I miss Neal Johns because when he was posting he was my senior and a very knowledgeable Baja guy.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 02:59 AM

Lou's book is a GREAT read.....I loaned my copy NEVER LOAN A BOOK to someone and never got it back..lotsa good stuff in there about lotsa good places...

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 08:02 AM

Thanks ... made me smile ... hard to believe how it used to be
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 08:14 AM

Lou actually built the hotel..lost it in a dust up of some kind...For a long time the barge that he used to haul materials in was beached near there...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 08:25 AM

Lou and Dixon must have been partners?

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 08:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Lou and Dixon must have been partners?

David,
The book explains their relationship in not very complimentary terms. I would be happy to loan you the book. u2u me your mailing address.
Kurt
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 08:49 AM

Thank you, Kurt! I will be in Baja most of the days the next two weeks, so maybe after that? I would like to hear the other side. I wonder why is Dixon Collins the only one named in Gardner's book, and shown in photos at the hotel as the owner and builder if Lou was involved with the construction (as I guess his book claims)?

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 09:00 AM

Very complicated like most Mexcian real estate deals, then and now...You need to read Lou's book and make up your own mind. There are (were) a few people around Mulege who could tell some stories. If they would.....Lots of intrigue...

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
Awesome times in the mid and late 1990's and in to the 2000's camping on that beach. Made a lot of really good friends and had some fun times hanging in the hotel waiting for storms to hit. It was a time that shaped my experience in Baja. Unfortunately we could see the fishing going downhill every year. :-(

Although I started going to Chivato in the early 80s, the bulk of my time was in the 90s. I remember meeting you and your tin boat, Doug. I believe I remember one night when a big wind came up and your anchor rode parted. But the wind just brought your boat up onto the sand; no damage.

I fished with a guy who had a 17 foot Whaler a bit. I think his name was Bill and he brought his son down a lot. Believe he was from NorCal and worked for PacBell at the time. We all just camped on the camping beach. There were pit toilets and solar showers, so tent camping was just fine..........until a blow came.

Also remember this guy who was a spittin image of Jack Nicholson, who seemed just as crazy. He was from San Diego and basically lived on the beach for long periods.

I think Bill Alvarado was still there in the fall of 1982, as I recall.

Sure miss taking my catch over to the hotel and having them prepare it. Great times. For me, it really was my golden Baja era. Catching dorado over 30 lbs was a given each trip.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 10:55 AM

One of our Chivato neighbors lent me Lou's book. It is a very entertaining read. Much recommended. This link to Lou's (RIP) site provides a little review or preview of the book.

http://www.loufederico.com/genekira.html

[Edited on 5-24-2017 by BigBearRider]
Bajasailing

[*] posted on 3-31-2019 at 12:22 PM
History of Punta Chivato

Hi George. Contact me for the history and story of Punta Chivato, i know everything with detail after Dixon Collins sold to a Vegas individual back in the early 70's, I was 8 years old, Dixon's wife past away not too long ago in her home in Palm Springs California. You know, there is a sunken plane there in the water!
I give you a clue " Blow" with Johnny Deph. I meet by coincidence a group of ladies celebrating a wedding in Yountville Ca., near Napa Valley about a year ago, they live up in the big house on the hill above the hotel in Chivato. The may remember me if you ask. My name is George. Nathan who is the step son of the individual, who bought the hotel from Dixon, he and i are like brother, we practically grew up together. My Uncle from San Jose De Magdalena was the foreman there, he past away long time ago. Nathan's mother still lives, she is 91 and we are also in the process of writing a book too, that is why i cant give you names and or dates. There is a Confidentially None Circumvent agreement that must sing here in the U.S and in Mexico, if you are interested in writing the story that eventually may turn into a movie script feel free to contact me.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2019 at 12:50 PM

Thank you Bajasailing for that story and welcome to Baja Nomad!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.