BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question for those living Near TJ but who go to San diego
beenalloverMX

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 04:54 AM
Question for those living Near TJ but who go to San diego

What are the advantages and disadvantages of living within 30km of Tijuana and going to San Diego about once a week? American Citizen with passport.

I know somewhat about the long wait times at San Ysidro, but I will be on foot mostly.

One thing that concerns me is taxi or other public transport from places south of TJ to the border crossing. I remember taxi fares were pretty steep in Baja.

Also in case of a medical emergency will U.S. Immigration expedite entry?

I'd like to be in an area close to decent supermarket, shopping (such as walmart, costco, etc).

If I live in Mexico what services in San Diego might not be available to me? Is a private mail service of help in this case?

Thanks for any on topic useful answers.

TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 05:21 AM

This is a HUGE topic, but probably the most important issue is how you would adapt to living in Mexico.

If Mexico or TJ is just a cheap escape from the expense of San Diego, you probably won't last. If it is a venture of curiosity into border culture and people, you might enjoy it and thrive.

On your various questions, my opinion...

There is good emergency medical care in TJ. Stabilize yourself then cross. Don't sit in a crossing line hoping to be expedited.

Lots of good supermarkets, local brands, great shops besides Costco and Walmart. Walmart here sucks. Costco consistently good. Branch out a bit.

I use a private mail service as I have a business that requires reliability of mail TO the USA rather than from.

Others will have other opinions and many may not respond as the topic is a bit all encompassing.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 06:02 AM
Crossing north

To expedite crossing north, apply for the SENTRI/Global Entry program. It is well worth the cost if you cross on a regular basis.

If you cross once a week, there are mail service businesses on the US side that will set you up with a private mail box and a US address

If you need to cross into the US for a Medical Emergency, call Sharp Hospital Global Patient Services. They will coordinate your crossing and have an ambulance waiting on the US side (usually in secondary). The coordination is free, however you will have to pay (out of pocket, insurance or Medicare) for the ambulance: https://www.sharp.com/services/global-patient-services/

The only COSTCO options are TJ and Ensenada

Once you get settled, apply for Mexican Immigration (INM) Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente status. With either status, you will be eligible for a variety of services and benefits provided by the (Mexican) government
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 09:55 AM

Just get a sentri pass. Everything you need in TJ is available in TJ. Depending on how you cook, some food items are better purchased north.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 10:28 AM

Cut the cord. :light:

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 12:29 PM

You want an answer to your particular "to be or not to be".

Advantages of being close to TJ: fast-er and better medical care than further South. A couple of decent private hospitals that will stabilize you before going North, or even fix you if they have to, but you need Mex insurance. Under the law they have to "stabilize" you for free, even if it's $$$ private hospital, but... Stabilize means - keeping you from dying. They might dump you at the TJ public hospital. Better get an insurance. A separate and vast topic.

Supermarkets and big box stores in TJ - obviously there are, SD is better yet, whether it's worth crossing or not - depends on what you buy and how badly you need it.

Long waiting times do apply to pedestrians, except for those with Sentri Card. Or take a Greyhound bus (it goes through Sentri).

Yes, in medical emergency they will expedite the crossing in Cruz Roja and/or transfer to US ambulance.

Transportation in TJ and South - please do your research. Cab fares in TJ have never been steep compared to the US except for a few places like Greyhound station in Otay where you're at their mercy. All other places will have several taxi companies competing for your money.
There are less expensive shuttles (taxi de ruta).
And there are cheaper yet transit buses @10 pesos. Nothing is particularly wrong with these buses, except that they stink (literally, exhaust fumes leaking out of all the cracks), they are uncomfortable, loud, slow, and you need to know how to use them without marked stops or route numbers.

If you're going to be "30km from Tijuana" you main concern will be not Tijuana transportation but getting TO Tijuana first. Once you're there, you'll make it to the border in 10-15 minutes without problems.

I don't know of reliable cross-border mail services, probably they exist. Mail itself is not a concern, you can do nearly everything online.
Parcel shipping from US to Mex is a different matter. For TJ expats it's cheaper and more reliable to cross the border personally and pick it up in San Ysidro or SD.

[Edited on 5-24-2017 by Alm]
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2017 at 02:28 PM

Be aware that the "medical" lane is also the "fast pass" lane and you though you get moved NEAR the front you are not immediately passed through. AND people who have already been waiting an hour or possibly more (ready lane San Ysidro) are not happy with you cutting in line. It will be assumed you stayed at a hotel or visited a business that offered you a Fast Pass - thus no sympathy - don't give a damn about letting you get in front of them - nor would I. That means they will snug up behind the car in front of them and not easily let you in. NOT something you want to deal with in the early stages of a stroke or heart attack. Use the local medical services as they are just as good (probably better IMO) as the USA side.

[Edited on 5-28-2017 by TedZark]
GypsyJan
Nomad

Mood: "If a dog will not come to you after looking you in the face, examine your conscience." Woodrow W

[*] posted on 5-28-2017 at 03:02 PM
Mail Express & Extras

MEX, short for Mail Express & Xtras, was established in 1990. The general manager is Alejandra Cordova and this one is one block from Boulevard BJ on Ave Mar Del Norte and can be reached at (661) 612 2423. This mail room offers many services, including daily mail delivery from San Diego, telephone messaging service, copy/fax is available, USPS priority and express mail, as well as an immigration paper service. If you pay $204 for a year in advance, you receive a post office box as well as a street mailing address. They also have private boxes at Club Marena, Canatamar, El Jefe mini Mercado, Hotel La Mision, Bajamar and San Antonio Del Mar.
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2017 at 08:42 PM

Bailing SD was the best move I have ever done.

Im a tad further than tj but if you get a SENTRI, crossing anytime you want or need is no problem. If renting, interview the landlord about everything you want before agreeing to anything. Without a visa you are an illegal technically so if something happens you have zero rights and are at the mercy of common sense from police or government. With that being said I have very rarely heard of any problems except for the actual renters being the source of any problems.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.