Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Portable canopy/gazebo recommendations
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

question.gif posted on 5-24-2017 at 04:11 PM
Portable canopy/gazebo recommendations

Nomads,
I am looking for a sturdy/durable portable canopy for trailer life (outside kitchen /sitting space) that will last more than one strong breeze, is sturdy, and folds up.

I have scoured the interwebby thing and most seem to be 10'X10' which is an adequate size and are under $100....but many seem to have puny metal framing...and I want it to last with multiple set-ups.

I have not yet ruled out "sun shades" that are somewhat open and set up with collapsible aluminum shock-corded poles...but they get expensive.

Anchoring seems simple enough (sand bags/skookum pegs)....

Any experienced recommendations?

Gracias

[Edited on 5-24-2017 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 04:27 PM

Start looking at commercial sources. Will outlast the weekender type
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 04:58 PM

Skookum?

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 04:59 PM

I did trailer awnings (roll-out type) for 20 years. Lost one here in northern New Mexico in a strong wind. Here's a few things I learned:

A good quality awning with a 12" (that's about 26 cm to you northerners) aluminum pre-roll at the top is better than a cheapie plastic one. I battened mine down to whatever was close; starting with a palapa, then I had 2" x 24" angle iron stakes w/ a 3" hammer plate on top made with a large eye-hole on the hammer plate big enough to accept a carabineer as a sand stake to hammer in the soil and secure the awning corners. Trouble with those was, if you had a BEEG BLOW come up it was still prudent to have a quick-release set-up to roll the damned thing up because Ma Nature wins, period. Third, I had a site with secure beams as tie-downs with no worries ever.

I've seen a lot of temporary and semi-permanent awning/canopy set-ups. You have to consider UV capabilities as well as secure tie-downs. If you don't wanna hammer stakes you can dig an 18" trench 45ยบ lateral to each corner and run your tie-down lines to a 'dead-man' system of a 24" (mas o meno) stick of mesquite or iron wood that won't rot out in a year or so. They're practically bomb-proof, will hold better than your fabric will. Anyone want more info on that, u2u me. Happy shade!

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 05:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Skookum?

Woody,
A northwest native term.....generally referring to things which are strong, etc:

"Skookum
From Wikipedia:

Skookum is a Chinook Jargon word that has historical use in the Pacific Northwest. It has a range of meanings, commonly associated with an English translation of "strong" or "monstrous". The word can mean "strong",[1] "greatest", "powerful", "ultimate", or "brave". Something can be skookum, meaning "strong" or "monstrously significant". When used in reference to another person, e.g., "he's skookum", it conveys connotations of reliability or a monstrous nature, as well as strength, size or hard-working."

Also used to describe a Motoged Margarita :cool:

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 05:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
I did trailer awnings (roll-out type) for 20 years. Lost one here in northern New Mexico in a strong wind. Here's a few things I learned:

BB,
Good intel.....thanks....have a 12' v-nose cargo trailer that is my poor man's camper....and have decided against a trailer roll-out canopy....and am mindful of Big Wind issues..

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 05:13 PM

Whatever method you use to anchor your corners, make sure your tie downs can be seen while stumbling around the camp in dim light!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 05:45 PM

Okay....I will now need to invest in a dozen Tiki lamps....

As for the stumbling in dim light.....I didn't know you were watching me after dark at the Hacienda....:biggrin:

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 06:25 PM

skookumchuck = strong water=big seas, rapids
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 06:42 PM

consider one of these, you can buy additional windscreen for the sides

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Storage-Organization-Sheds-Garage...
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 07:07 PM

Hola Motoged

Most Skookum setup I use is a " Silvacool Tarp". It is a heavy duty tarp that reflects heat. They use them in the bush to keep seedlings cool in the cutblock when planting trees. I use a 9x12 tarp. I mounted three stainless tie down points on my bigfoot camper for the tarp. I made three 2x2 fir posts to hold up the front. I bury the posts down 6 ". I guy the post down with rope that has some give with a truckers hitch. I use 2 ft sections of 1" galv pipe for pegs. Dig a hole first through the loose sand and pound the stakes in the denser sand.

I set it up low so it I have to bend when standing but is perfect for keeping the sun off early in the day when sitting down. It has lasted two seasons and still good.

You can get them from Bushpro on line. They are about $50 Can pesos.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 07:09 PM

No safety concerns with tiedown pegs because they are well under the sand.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 07:24 PM

Costco at this time of year sells folding shade structures. Pretty good quality. But few (no) shade structures are meant for hard blows,...

For stakes, I recommend rebar, with a tightly bent U on top.

If at the beach or other loose soil, you can use 6"x6" plywood pieces as dead men. Drill a hole in center, attach a rope. Bury about 12 to 6 inches.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-24-2017 at 07:43 PM

Colemam Instant Canopy.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 09:53 AM

David,
Thanks for the suggestion, but that is an example of a weaker frame system than what I am looking for....

Mulege Canuck,
I remember my tree-planting daze...I lasted a day and a half in Lumby in 1975....:biggrin:

I like your basic concept....the tarp you mentioned is triple the cost of $50 you quoted....unless you have a better link....

https://www.universalfieldsupplies.com/products/bushpro-silvicool-tarps?variant=724418771

Your system would work with the usual tarp material and doesn't require a multi-hinged trellis frame system or vulnerable aluminum poles.

SFandH,
I have seen those and they look good for a more permanent set-up (longer term than travel camping situations)

Goat,
Good anchor ideas....( I could always use copies of Trumps health care and budget bills as deadweights....:lol:)

Still considering options....really looking for a relatively quick set-up system that is inexpensive and manageable by one person.
Whatever it will be, I understand that strong winds will be time for a take-down....really just need a protected kitchen area (Coleman propane stove and portable propane barbeque on a folding costco plastic table and a few folding chairs).

[Edited on 5-25-2017 by motoged]

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 09:57 AM

I've always gone with a variation of the Mulege Canuck method anchoring to the roof racks on a pickup and canopy but you are anchored to a single spot. The plus side is cheap and easy. I used a nylon tarp because they pack smaller/lighter and don't make as much noise in the wind.

For a canopy check out the EZ Up line. I helped someone fold one up a few months ago and commented on how sturdy it seemed. The owner swore by it and said it has stood up while cheaper canopies folded in the wind.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 10:13 AM

A couple other observations -- I used aluminum poles for my tarp and never had any problems with that in the wind. I have seen the multi-hinged frame type break but it was well anchored and the frame broke up under the canopy where the wind pushed the fabric into the frame. I also saw a poorly anchored canopy in the Sea of Cortez this winter after a BdeLA westie but it was fully functional after retrieval. It seemed to roll with the punches.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
David,
Thanks for the suggestion, but that is an example of a weaker frame system than what I am looking for....

Still considering options....really looking for a relatively quick set-up system that is inexpensive and manageable by one person.
Whatever it will be, I understand that strong winds will be time for a take-down....

[Edited on 5-25-2017 by motoged]

Hi Ged, I did read your request before responding:

Quote:
I am looking for a sturdy/durable portable canopy for trailer life (outside kitchen /sitting space) that will last more than one strong breeze, is sturdy, and folds up.

I have scoured the interwebby thing and most seem to be 10'X10' which is an adequate size and are under $100....but many seem to have puny metal framing...and I want it to last with multiple set-ups.

I have not yet ruled out "sun shades" that are somewhat open and set up with collapsible aluminum shock-corded poles...but they get expensive.

The Coleman Instant Canopy is far stronger than the other, cheaper ones. We got it following the hurricane force winds of July 2011 that destroyed the last sun canopy (and our dome tent). This was the same storm that sunk the fishing ship with so much loss of life, off Gonzaga Bay.

It continues to serve us on our trips to Shell Island in the years since. I am going to use it this weekend, again. If it fails me after 6 years of multiple uses, I will let you know.

Here it is last summer, and the Instant Tent in the back, also obtained following July 2011 storm and used multiple times since without an issue...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 10:35 AM

free one at rancho grande...some assembly required.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 10:59 AM

I build my shelter using galvanized steel tubing I buy at Home Depot (electrical conduit I think) and this kind of connectors.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODc2WDExMzI=/z/WmQAAOSw-CpYBkNg/$_...

I attach the wind screen roof and sides with bungee cord.

Makes for a tough shelter that goes up quick.

IMHO, stay away from the canopies that have the scissors like frames. I've seem a lot of them in the garbage cans at the beaches I stay at. Too fragile.

[Edited on 5-25-2017 by SFandH]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.