Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Portable canopy/gazebo recommendations
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 11:11 AM

And another thought if you're only putting up a day shelter on the beach attached to your cargo trailer: I used a gortex para-wing many days on the river beaches. Long parachute cord tie-downs at the corner, very versatile and easy up and down. Easy is good.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 11:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
I had one of THESE when we had our place in BOLA and it lasted years.
We were not kind to it in any way.

I am thinking of buying another.

yep, those are good quality, a bit on the heavy side,... but much preferable compared to ones that attach to the vehicle. If you are stuck attaching tarp to vehicle, you never get away from your vehicle, and in that case why not just camp at home in your garage? :lol:
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 11:30 AM

Look up Swap meet tarps. I have a 15 X 15 Unit that is bomb proof. I use 3/4 Electoral Metal Tube (EMT) Covered with a heavy duty truck tarp.
I had the tarp custom made, as the size was not stock. The size of the tarp was the product of the truck I was driving at the time, tubes 1/2 " shorter than the bed.

A 10 X 10 is a stock size. Buy the fittings and bungie's on line, go to the box store for the tubing, and the tarp. The silver is cooler than the blue.

For the tie downs I bolted the little footing to a 12"X12" steel plate and drive the 12" jumbo nails in all the corners of the plates. If I have the sides up I park the truck as as windbreak and fill 5 gal. buckets with salt water/sand on all the down tubes too.
This is one of the places that sell parts there are plenty around.

http://www.ptmtarps.com/canopy-fittings-pipe/

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 12:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  

This is one of the places that sell parts there are plenty around.

http://www.ptmtarps.com/canopy-fittings-pipe/

Great link!! Thanks.
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2017 at 09:06 PM

I've had decent luck in moderate wind with hanging gallons of water, or canvas/mesh bags filled with rocks, or any type of ballast, looping a soft-tie through the framing with a quick link. One on each corner can really help, and you won't trip on them. May hit year head though...
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 07:03 AM

We have used a variety of temporary shelter models over the years and the tarp and pipe method is by far the strongest, most customizable and durable. Our first model was the basic 10x10 with a white poly roof purchased at City Club. We used Easy-up brand panels for 3 sides, but they caught the wind like spinnakers. We switched to mesh tarp and colourful Mexican blankets the next year. There were no problems with the frame, but the roof started to get holes after 2 winter seasons of sun exposure. The roof was usable for another 3 years, but yellowed and developing holes at the pressure points. It also took 2 people to put up.

We used PVC, bungee cord fasteners and grommeted mesh tarp to build a fence around our RV to keep our dog enclosed. We also built a bike stand, a bike repair stand that fits into our truck hitch and a raised dog bed (to fit a Koolaroo mesh sling) from PVC. If you are going permanente, a woven ground mat is nice to catch the sand.

We added a toy garage and gear storage shed with the tarp and pipe method because the materials are easily available in Baja and we could make the sizes we needed. Advantage - one person installation. We learned that using zip ties and a pre- grommeted tarp is much quicker and cheaper than sourcing or making bungee cord fasteners. The frame possibilities are endless, then we covered the frame with a tarp, used mesh tarp on the ends to let the wind flow through and made "doors". It takes a bit of planning, but once it's together, you number the parts, tape the pipes together, chuck the fittings in a bag and pack it away for next time.

We also bought a garage package, to use as a windsurfing gear shed from COSTCO, up here. After 15 winter months in the sun, we replaced the roof and sides with grommeted recycled RV awning fabric, leaving vents at strategic points and using mesh tarp for the door. The awning fabric is still going strong after 4 years and we use it instead of tarps for waterproofness, UV-proofness, low flappiness, aesthetic value and durability...very nice to work with, but it is a bit heavier. We used woven ground matts to protect our gear and keep the sand down. It took 2 people to set up.

Tiring of the labour of setting up tearing down and storing all of these structures each season, we downsized, simplified, sold our RV and accessories and bugged out to a rental home. We special-ordered a small Shelter Logic garage up north to use on the beach. It is the most confounding shelter to set up and requires 3-4 patient friends to figure out and assemble over two days. The frame is holding up well after 3 seasons (4 months each in the sun and wind) but the fabric cover will need replacing in a year or two.

All of these structure required anchoring and thoughtful placement to withstand the wind, even in a protected campground, but they offer excellent protection from the elements when well set up. For a lighter shelter for sun protection used for a few days only, something that can be taken down quickly if the wind pops up is the way to go. I would avoid anything that looks like it is made for a day picnic shelter.

If you are near Los Barilles, of the materials to make a custom shelter, except grommet kits, bungee cord and mesh tarp are available at Armandos and are cheaper than up north. Pop-up tents and garage shelters are available in Cabo and La Paz, but on a limited and seasonal basis usually.

Our favourite? We keep a small utility trailer in Baja to shelter and store our toys and tools that can be stored until we head to our next winter home.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 09:34 AM

Here's a trick I use when I set up my galvanized steel tube frame. I pound a piece of rebar around 18 inches long 1/2 way into the ground for each of the legs (mine has six) and set the tubes over the rebar. That keeps the legs from moving in the wind.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 09:51 AM

This thread asked about "portable" shelter,... y'all are making shelters out of heavy brackets, 1-inch EMT conduit pipe, and heavy-duty tarps,... no wonder many of you drive diesel 1-ton pickups, your shade shelters alone weigh over 300 pounds! I am guessing your sleeping tent systems are >1,000 pounds!

Car camping used to be about minimalism! Then you all developed costco-brain and super-sized everything! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 5-26-2017 by mtgoat666]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
This thread asked about "portable" shelter,... y'all are making shelters out of heavy brackets, 1-inch EMT conduit pipe, and heavy-duty tarps,... no wonder many of you drive diesel 1-ton pickups, your shade shelters alone weigh over 300 pounds! I am guessing your sleeping tent systems are >1,000 pounds!

Car camping used to be about minimalism! Then you all developed costco-brain and super-sized everything! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 5-26-2017 by mtgoat666]

true......
now what you need is an "el porche" (with a small house connected to it) now who's looking for one in Gbay? :lol:
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 10:34 AM

Ditch that trailer an get something practical for the beaches.
A little wind won't phase one of these and the kitchen is complete.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 04:23 PM

Kewl rig, Sweets. However, I guarantee it wouldn't withstand Hwy 1, topes or potholes. Or vibradores for that matter; they destroy travel trailers let alone that kind of low-rider.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-27-2017 at 12:16 PM
Thanks everybody !

I appreciate all the ideas contributed....at this time I will be developing a tarp system with some metal poles (some adjustable tent poles and some electric conduit poles....I like the idea of rebar in ground as pole stabilizer....and as pegs).

An idea my neighbour presented was installing eye-bolts along the trailer "gutter" area so that tarp could be attached w/ small carabiners for quick install ....

One thing is clear....trailers, like boats, are large toys that eagerly consume your cash... :lol:

Over and out on this....gracias !

Don't believe everything you think....
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2017 at 04:26 PM

Motoged, I doubt there is an easy solution. Not in coastal Baja. Here on Cortez coast there is such thing as a SUDDEN and very heavy western wind that often comes in the night. Plus, a "usual" El Norte that can last 3-4 days. Anything lighter than a truck will be swaying, rattling,flapping, self-destructing or flying around. Make it with extra-heavy 3" frame and it will weigh a ton, a pain to set up. Hammer it deep into ground and it is a pain again to set-up (and whatever is above the ground will still make a heck of noise in the night and will try to take-off).

Must be one of those occasions when I agree with the Goat - heavy duty commercial shelters are not really "portable". Look into hikers stuff. There were some 10x10ft shelters that are portable and designed to withstand heavy winds, check REI - or MEC, since you're in Canada. They rely on flexibility of the frame rather than stiffness. Expensive, over $250. Stakes and/or guy-lines will still be necessary.
Coleman brand today is bottom of the barrel, pretty much Ebay quality.

[Edited on 5-27-2017 by Alm]
bajagregg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2017 at 04:43 PM

We use Eurmax canopies in our race pits and have had great luck along with the many other racers that use them. They are, without a doubt, the stoutest pop-up canopies out there. Do search on Amazon to check out the options.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Eurmax-Canopy-Commercial-20color-Whee...

[Edited on 5-28-2017 by bajagregg]

Traveling Baja for 50 years.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2017 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Over and out on this....gracias !

Ged now you know all these "veteranos" are losing their minds.....its either "over" or its "out"....it can't be both!:lol:
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2017 at 06:53 PM

The phrase is "Roger and out". Meaning - message understood, end of transmission.
Or just "Out", i.e. the end, I'm going away.

"Over" = "Now you talk, I'm listening".

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-28-2017 at 10:54 AM

Never a dull moment with this crowd :lol:

"Over and Out" !!!! Sheesh....never knew it would be a contentious comment.....thanks for the boy scout lesson for radio chatter .

My tarp application will be mostly for here north of a few borders....the wider wheelbase of trailer makes me VERY nervous when thinking of pulling it on Baja highways...one wheel over that infamous pavement edge is a trip-wrecker....

Wind issues are taken into consideration with any shelter...as is weight and ease of erection ..... (have fun with that)

Don't believe everything you think....
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2017 at 11:37 PM

Selling at the collectible flea markets around L.A. for over 20 years and adventuring in Baja and the southwest longer than that, I have tried them all. Pretty much have settled on Caravan canopies. Well made and heavy yet I can set them up alone. Pole and tarp types I used for years as well and they certainly have their place but take a while to set up and no matter how well you anchor them, when those off shore winds near Huerfanito start to howl something is gonna give... I think the main thing with any type of canopy is when a sustained wind comes up, undo the canvas or tarp part of it...just break it down and leave the structure for when the winds stop and then just reattach.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 01:03 PM

I'll go with minimalism, just your basic EZ UP canopy, about sixty dollars on sale at sporting goods stores, sets up in about a minute. IMO whoever invented that should get a Nobel prize, saved me from getting scorched many a time. You can adjust the height of the legs to angle it when sun is low on the horizon. Not going to last more than a few seasons, and not going withstand the winds of Huerfanito, but then I don't think any canopy would, regardless of price or construction, as you can see in this short YouTube video I shot last year a few miles north of there in 2016.

https://youtu.be/B1_T4DjtzzE

Look familiar Redhill? I think we have both been there, done that.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2017 at 02:39 PM

oooooooh yes!!! That's why I'm all for lowering them and popping off the top before going to bed...that is, if sober enough! :o
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.