BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Baja Pole Line Road: Moto takes recent GoPro video atop Neal John's "Bad Hill!"
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 09:08 AM

That should be interesting. Let us know how it is. Have fun and stay safe.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 09:58 AM

Ed, Emerson has a late model Toyota Land Cruiser (wagon)... should he not get back here (or correct me if his ride has changed).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 12:10 PM

Thanks DK. He should have an interesting story if he makes it up the hill.

[Edited on 10-4-2017 by ehall]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 01:06 PM

His Land Cruiser works pretty good. He has a locker front and rear if I remember right.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 01:07 PM

Sad that with all this publicity the rancher probably will make passage really tough. Time will tell if he sees all the chatter.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 01:20 PM

Emerson,
I thought we clearly reported that the track from the bottom of the race summit (Locally called Jamau summit) at Arroyo Siaz is blocked from travel east or west along the Pole Line Road.
So for my planning I think a trip from La Ventana to the fence and gate can be done out and back. That will be my plan for future trips. I definitely do not want to encounter the rancher. Fuel will be an issue for that trip.
No known trips to verify that the other two gates are functional between Jamau and Arroyo Grande? Wont be able to verify before your trip.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 03:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Emerson,
I thought we clearly reported that the track from the bottom of the race summit (Locally called Jamau summit) at Arroyo Siaz is blocked from travel east or west along the Pole Line Road.
So for my planning I think a trip from La Ventana to the fence and gate can be done out and back. That will be my plan for future trips. I definitely do not want to encounter the rancher. Fuel will be an issue for that trip.
No known trips to verify that the other two gates are functional between Jamau and Arroyo Grande? Wont be able to verify before your trip.

I thought it was determined we could use the road from the white water tank area north to bypass the unfriendly rancher and his gate?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2017 at 06:07 PM

Agree and no passage into Siaz
As I said so far none of the other gates have been in use to prevent access to the white tank area from the east and then to the lock gate.
Of course no permission has ever been addressed for any of the road on the ranchers property.
My main point is we should not expect to get to the summit from the east.
======== ====

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Emerson,

I thought it was determined we could use the road from the white water tank area north to bypass the unfriendly rancher and his gate?
Emerson
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2017 at 06:42 AM

Im leading a group of 8 Land Cruisers, my ride is a '97 with front/rear lockers.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2017 at 07:05 AM

David, The route north from white tank to enter Arroyo El Siaz is blocked with a large cable fence (also an unlocked fence gate). Thus there is no longer a route to enter or leave Pole line road at the west end. Destruction of the locked gate or the cable fence is the only option for passage.
As I said - out and back from the east is still possible with a turn around at these barriers.
The rancher has gone to a lot of trouble and expense to keep travelers from entering his ranch at the west end.
According to accounts relayed to me 2nd hand the issue is cattle rustling and many of the ranchers have been given subsidy to add the fences and locked gates. We are seeing many of our traditional tracks in the region now with fences and gates. Mostly so far they are mostly not locked. Many places the fence would cross the old roads with no gate.
===== =
As I said so far none of the other gates have been in use to prevent access to the white tank area from the east and then to the lock gate.
Of course no permission has ever been addressed for any of the road on the ranchers property.
======== ====

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Emerson,

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2017 at 08:15 AM

======== ====

Paul are you saying the rancher put in another gate to prevent going up the summit from the east?

When Roy, Emerson and I were there in June 2015 there was a wire gate on the south or left side of the road not far from the locked metal gate that went to the PLR with the road to the north or right side going up the summit. This is coming from the east by way of Cohabuso jct.

June 2015

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2017 at 10:45 AM

I guess saying that it was the Americans who built that road in 1942 to warn of a Japanese attack from the south doesn't help! We are driving Japanese 4x4s, after all! LOL

I would think the white water tank is so far east of the ranch, near the summit, the road north (from the tank) to Laguna Salada would not be on his land?

Emerson
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2017 at 07:10 AM

Im pretty sure that going thru the bypass is OK, I hope!

My real concern is going up that "bad hill", looks tricky and probably theres no winch points in case of a emergency; im hoping for the terrain to be packed and solid in order to gain traction, if by any chance they are loose rocks and loose gravel, thats going to be really fun to conquer.

Now, up in Jamau, Im still assuming the gates remain unlocked for MX3 road.

I guess we will find out.

-Emerson
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2017 at 07:41 AM

Bad hill descriptions have been exaggerated. A moto going up that hill is a lot different than a 4x4. Your rigs will have no issue on the bad hill when going west to east. Just go left and drive around the bad place when you find the missing road. We had an unlifted Tacoma that went down the hill. The worst thing would be that you may have to stack rocks to avoid deep holes. Going up that hill is more difficult and your rigs will do that just fine if you were to go that way.

Prepare to deal with the cable fence or just turn around.

Do you know which track to use past the summit toward the PLR?
If not there are tracks that should be avoided. Send me a private message with your email and I will fill you in.
====== ==

Quote: Originally posted by Emerson  
Im pretty sure that going thru the bypass is OK, I hope!

My real concern is going up that "bad hill", looks tricky and probably theres no winch points in case of a emergency; im hoping for the terrain to be packed and solid in order to gain traction, if by any chance they are loose rocks and loose gravel, thats going to be really fun to conquer.

Now, up in Jamau, Im still assuming the gates remain unlocked for MX3 road.

I guess we will find out.

-Emerson
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 10-15-2017 at 11:08 AM

The Animals 4x4 Club completed the Pole Line Road by bypassing the locked gate at Arroyo Saiz by driving down the section of trail just feet away from the locked gate.

On a side note, in the mid 2000's I once took a wrong turn and stopped at the ranchers home. We turned our Jeeps instead of stopping because they looked so angry and unwelcoming.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2017 at 01:11 PM

Yes we saw the Animals report with pictures wher they winched up/down the steep bank.
Emerson
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2017 at 11:54 AM

Just to report we made it back.

Here are the highlights:

1.- The "Bad Hill" was not actually bad; the one that was REALLY bad is another section probably a mile before the waypoint I had, so either I had a wrong waypoint or another hill became "bad"; I promise you pictures once I get up to date in work, I can say now its really steep, rocky and with a tight turn left while going up.

2.- The off camber exit from the arroyo is still bad but passable.

3.- Basketball hill looks the same.

4.- The arroyo after basketball hill was a pain to travel, rocks everywhere, really slow and tiresome, exiting this portion was tough since the exit is not visible anymore, needed to walk around to find it. As far as I remember, it was not like this before.

5.- The rest of the road was relatively good, really dense vegetation on the desert all the way thru the White water tank and Huatamote junction.

6.- Bypass down to the arroyo was OK with the cable fence in the arroyo bed on the floor.

7.- Jamau grade/Summit was harder than before, somehow expected, we took the hard parts, avoided the easy loop, fun at the end, lots of wheel spin for the non locked members, hitting the diffs was unavoidable since track is really rutted from rains and continuos tire spinning on the last section that was really steep and narrow.

8.- Slept on the cowboy shack on the Jamau summit

9.- On Sunday we took the track down to Heroes de la Independencia thru the upper road (west); road in really good conditions.

10.- Overall a fun trip, the rigs performed really well taking in mind the extreme terrain - No winching or extraction was required.

Pictures will come later.

-Emerson.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2017 at 12:57 PM

Sounds like a great trip, glad everyone came thru OK. thanks.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2017 at 01:26 PM

That sound great Emerson! I look forward to the pics...

The roads south of Mike's Sky Rancho are all shot per what little I saw and more from area residents (Rancho El Coyote, etc.). Rancho La Joya and the former Dark Skys Inn (Rancho La Concepcion) are almost impossible to get to or make a loop drive through, to Mike's or El Coyote, I was told. I got just 3.7 miles east from El Coyote where I turned back.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2017 at 04:29 PM

Way to go Emerson
More details please
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.