Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Moto helmets wanted
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 12:40 PM
Moto helmets wanted

Just got a 250 duel purpose bike. Wife and I need helmets. Looking for XL and S to M. Must be certified and in nice shape.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 01:28 PM

we were talking about helmets just yesterday...

when my daughter was little she played t-ball...

susan INSISTED on her having her own NEW helmet...
I painted her name on it

the other parents thought we were snobs because we didn't let her share her helmet...UNTIL...all the other kids got LICE

Next practice they ALL had their own NEW helmets

think about that when you try on that USED helmet...and...
good luck in finding those "special" helmets you need

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 01:58 PM

I've ridden motorcycles for 25+years (I think I'm younger than most here). I've ridden a bike all the way between Prudhoe Bay, AK and Machu Picchu, Peru, and a fair amount in Baja.

I think you should want to buy a new helmet. You don't know how many times a used helmet has been dropped, and what may have happened to it.

Most, if not all, helmet manufacturers recommend replacing helmets if they've been dropped, or had some other impact. Some of that is likely driven by an attempt to reduce liability, some of it based on a desire to sell more helmets, and some of it is based on the fact that a dropped helmet may not protect your head as well as if it hasn't been dropped.

I have owned many helmets. Every single one of them new. Almost all have been $500+.

I have a $1,000+ helmet in my office that took a bad impact (with my head in it), and got really scuffed up. It could have been repainted to look like new, but I retired the helmet for safety reasons.

I'd also get a Leatt brace, or similar, to protect your neck from breaking in a fall. It has saved mine more than once.

Also, look up ATGATT, and live by it.

Good luck, and be safe.

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 02:11 PM

ATGATT great advice:cool:

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 04:34 PM

I agree with this post. Remember the saying, "If you have a $10 head, get a $10 helmet."

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
I've ridden motorcycles for 25+years (I think I'm younger than most here). I've ridden a bike all the way between Prudhoe Bay, AK and Machu Picchu, Peru, and a fair amount in Baja.

I think you should want to buy a new helmet. You don't know how many times a used helmet has been dropped, and what may have happened to it.

Most, if not all, helmet manufacturers recommend replacing helmets if they've been dropped, or had some other impact. Some of that is likely driven by an attempt to reduce liability, some of it based on a desire to sell more helmets, and some of it is based on the fact that a dropped helmet may not protect your head as well as if it hasn't been dropped.

I have owned many helmets. Every single one of them new. Almost all have been $500+.

I have a $1,000+ helmet in my office that took a bad impact (with my head in it), and got really scuffed up. It could have been repainted to look like new, but I retired the helmet for safety reasons.

I'd also get a Leatt brace, or similar, to protect your neck from breaking in a fall. It has saved mine more than once.

Also, look up ATGATT, and live by it.

Good luck, and be safe.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 04:50 PM

Size matters, but so does shape! My skull is a non-standard long narrow shape, and it took years of trying on everything I saw at REI, Sports Authority and other places before I found one that worked for me.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 05:03 PM

I like used clothing, but I draw the line at wearing used underwear, used socks, used shoes, and used hats/helmets.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 05:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Size matters, but so does shape! My skull is a non-standard long narrow shape, and it took years of trying on everything I saw at REI, Sports Authority and other places before I found one that worked for me.

I assume you're talking about bicycle helmets ?
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 06:00 PM

Is Non standard like Anunaki alien shape?? if so Ill bet it was!! tuff finding something to protect that skull;)

weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 06:20 PM

Well, that was a stupid idea. I should know better. I've been riding all my life and have always bought new helmets for exactly the reasons stated by you 'all. BTW we're talking motorcycle here. Working in far lands forced me to off-load my scoots when I left. I just bought a duel P. bike cuz I was jonesing to ride. I was fishing for a "cherry" lightly used something of calidad. Even in the big city of La Paz it is hard to find a real quality brand name certified brain bucket.

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 06:37 PM

If I had one I didn't use it would be a pleasure to hand it down too you ,, I would say ride SAFE but Im sure you already do

weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 06:49 PM

Mighty kind of you. Thanks. I gave away three helmets when I sold my fleet in 2008. I have a friend, a genius, working for Google. He center punched a deer near Tahoe. He was wearing a beany helmet with a "helmet laws suck" sticker on it. You've seen these vacuous riders, many times hanging from ape bars. He now walks barely and someone has to wipe his butt. Ride safe, ride protected.

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 07:13 PM

Even with all the gear on I can tell when LUCK is on my side cause when we ride fast we could die at any moment, its that Dam Need For Speed calling always very happy to be back at the truck cheersin on a successful ride
RIP all my good bros who passed while liven the dream

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 07:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

I assume you're talking about bicycle helmets ?

Actually the helmet was for skiing. I also have a motorcycle helmet, but it has never fit me very well.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-26-2017 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  
Even with all the gear on I can tell when LUCK is on my side cause when we ride fast we could die at any moment, its that Dam Need For Speed calling always very happy to be back at the truck cheersin on a successful ride
RIP all my good bros who passed while liven the dream

I always liked the Hunter Thompson line; "Faster and faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!"

weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2017 at 07:26 AM

If your helmet does not fit snugly and comfortably, use it for gardening, but never ride a motorcycle with it on. Just ask Gary Busey.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-27-2017 at 08:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Mighty kind of you. Thanks. I gave away three helmets when I sold my fleet in 2008. I have a friend, a genius, working for Google. He center punched a deer near Tahoe. He was wearing a beany helmet with a "helmet laws suck" sticker on it. You've seen these vacuous riders, many times hanging from ape bars. He now walks barely and someone has to wipe his butt. Ride safe, ride protected.

This thread reminds me that long ago I made a decision to not ride motorcycles on streets. My friends and I that road street bikes in our late teens and early 20s universally agree that we would not do that today.
I am amused in California how in the past 3 years lane splitting has taken off in popularity. in past year I have witnessed 3 lane splitting accidents, resulting in mangled body on pavement, carnage, etc. Daily I see some really stupid behavior by lane splitters.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-27-2017 at 01:02 PM

I am sure my motocross helmet saved me from some very bad head injuries.
It didn' t completely prevent injury. I did sustain concussions, facial and sinus injuries.
I bought a brand new Shoei helmet after. I have never used it. But still intend to. It fits uncomfortably tight. Which is correct. Your head moving inside the helmet can injure you in a crash.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2017 at 05:20 PM

You are absolutely right a new helmet fits snug but with no pressure points. Head basically come in three shapes. round,oval and long oval. Different mfg's usually make one or the other. Revzilla.com is extremely helpful. Lencho, Point well taken, genius and "helmet laws suck" is oxymarooonic.

[Edited on 5-29-2017 by weebray]
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2017 at 05:57 PM

This thread reminds me that long ago I made a decision to not ride motorcycles on streets. My friends and I that road street bikes in our late teens and early 20s universally agree that we would not do that today.
[/rquote]

As a lifelong rider with 200,00+ Mi. I can say that riding a scoot on public highways is safe. Oh sure there is no such thing as a fender bender but here are some rules I follow. First, learn to ride in the dirt. No motorcycle safety course is going to teach you what you learn in the dirt. You will learn how to shift your weight from front to back. You will learn how to brake. Nothing so scary as controlling your bike on a steep downhill. You will learn how to spot a rock, mark it in you brain, and never look at it again. You will fall off, you will learn from that. You will learn how to become "one" with your bike. Only after a few months would I recommend street riding. Here are some of the rules I follow on the street: People in cars do not see you, never ride in their blind spot, move a little faster than the traffic around you, ride alert an oriented X10. Just like an airplane pilot it's 8 hrs. between the bottle and the throttle. Always (yes in hot weather too) wear the best safety gear you can afford. Spend more than you can afford on a helmet. Deerskin whatever is best. Just try to push a pin thru cowhide - now try deerskin. BTW Amazon has deerskin work gloves for less than 20 bucks. Keep scanning ahead for entering traffic and changing road conditions. Keep checking your mirrors for that Mercedes with a young German driving it. Most of this you will never learn in a safety class but they are good for etiquette, use of turn signals and brakes etc. Can't hurt. Speaking of brakes, an emt once told me that he had seen a number of bike fatalities where riders right fingers were crushed by the brake lever. Your front brake is your friend, use it. I have been down a few times but my helmet has saved me 2X. I have been down once by my own fault, riding too fast for conditions. That was years ago, I've never forgotten it. There is nothing like riding, coming in to a town and smelling the bakery or salon, out on the open road, away from the distractions of life, no phone, nobody to bother you. Pure meditation of a sort.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.