Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Sentri Card yanked at San Ysidro
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 03:50 PM

Hahaha....oh, pardon me. You drove a non-approved vehicle through the SENTRI lane???. Yeah those CBP guys (and gals) are boneheads.....NOT. Appears the bonehead was the FJ driver

Quote: Originally posted by kboy24  
Expired Sentri Card gentlemen was the issue which I should have known and I was NEVER cross with anyone at the Border. That gets ya Nowhere as everyone here probably is aware of. I was driving th FJ Cruiser but the truck was on file with them and pending approval so I showed it to the CBP. But they have a "It's them not us" game they play in secondary also. Sentri people are only in Otay Mesa and now San Ysidro. So if anyone gets a new/used Car then you are outta luck for up to 6 months in regards to using your sentri /Global passes. That's pretty CS on their part. BTW the 502 is a Drunk driving for all you gold star tin horns out there. And NO John M. It wasn't at all. Why would I hand the guy my pot license??? Never the poor overworked Border Guards problems. I never saw so many people standing around doing nothing. for a living
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 04:13 PM
Who is STUPID ?

The Rule-Breaker.

That's Who !
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 04:56 PM

A new car for regular border crossers can be problematic, even without Sentri, but more so with Sentri. The change in cars is a trigger. With modern computers US Customs has all your information, if only from scanning your license plate and your passport. Have you noticed that when you cross south your license plate is scanned on the US side? Same thing going north. That's why a front license plate is needed. Sentri gives the feds even more information about the holder. You also get your picture taken going north. Watch on the left side right after you hold up your Sentri card(s).

I've noticed that Mexican Customs is installing the same kind of equipment. For the Memorial Day weekend I was sent into secondary at Mexican Customs Saturday morning around 6 am, but sailed through US Customs on Monday afternoon around 3 pm after about 30 minutes in line. but getting to Padre Kino from Cuauhtémoc was a nightmare of congestion.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 05:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  
A new car for regular border crossers can be problematic, even without Sentri, but more so with Sentri. The change in cars is a trigger. With modern computers US Customs has all your information, if only from scanning your license plate and your passport. Have you noticed that when you cross south your license plate is scanned on the US side? Same thing going north.

Yes, they are gathering more and more info on everyone. I read about the database they keep and there is even a free text field in your data record where the inspector can write whatever he wants. The next inspector can read that. They ask questions that they know the answers to, looking for a liar.

I cross monthly when I'm not in BCS. Several times I've been drilled about my car. Is it yours? How long have you had it? When did you buy it? Where did you buy it? It's just a regular Japanese sedan. The answers really don't make any difference to the job of immigration and customs inspections. I think they're just seeing if I answer the same way each time. If I have something to hide. I dunno.

I'm into geezerhood. If my memory starts to slip I'll fail the crossing quiz. ;)
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 05:40 PM

Reminds me of coming through the border many years ago, been surfing all day and drinking every night for the last week, then capped it off with the 14 hour drive up through the Pacific coast gauntlet to TJ. Border officer asked when I entered Mexico and I couldn't remember the exact day, exhaustion had killed my memory, lol. I finally muttered my best guess and I guess it was close enough because he let me through. Since then I start getting my facts straight the hour before crossing.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 06:50 PM
Candid Camera

While having nothing to do with Sentri, but an insight into the evolution of video security, I read in today's L.A. Times of an additional innovation in "Home" security. The offering (coming in July) of a ($300 + $10 monthly) remotely-accessible security camera which utilizes the Google facial-recognition database.

An indication of a (near) future where moderately-priced Facial-Recognition capabilities will be available to anyone ?

For whatever purpose.

COOL !

Privacy is History.

BE GOOD.
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 07:02 PM

So, how does the "Ready Lane" work? We have Global Entry but a new (used) car that is not registered with the Global Entry system. Can we go through the "Ready" lane?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 07:12 PM

Yup

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  
So, how does the "Ready Lane" work? We have Global Entry but a new (used) car that is not registered with the Global Entry system. Can we go through the "Ready" lane?
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2017 at 12:31 PM

Ready Lane only works with a passport card. This speeds up getting your information into the computer. A passport doesn't need to be manually scanned, and the agent can in theory process the crossing faster.

A new (used) car shouldn't create any problem, but we're always subjects to the whim of the agent. If crossings are infrequent, there should be no problem. Going into the Sentri lane with Global entry without the new car properly registered guarantees a trip to secondary. You might even be told to return to Mexico and reenter through the other lanes.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2017 at 01:02 PM

I have been told twice now, "it is an extreme privilege to be allowed into the Sentri program" The agents emphasized the privilege part with that stare :mad:that only federal officials know how to do

Es Todo Bueno
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 6-2-2017 at 04:31 PM

You can use your Global Entry card at the ready lanes.
I would not drive a unregistered vehicle through the Sentri lane, they just might take you Global Entry card.
The card is to important to me to take a chance at losing it.
I am still waiting for my truck to be added and went through the ready lanes with my sentri yesterday.

Ready Lane only works with a passport card. This speeds up getting your information into the computer. A passport doesn't need to be manually scanned, and the agent can in theory process the crossing faster.

A new (used) car shouldn't create any problem, but we're always subjects to the whim of the agent. If crossings are infrequent, there should be no problem. Going into the Sentri lane with Global entry without the new car properly registered guarantees a trip to secondary. You might even be told to return to Mexico and reenter through the other lanes.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2017 at 04:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
I would not drive a unregistered vehicle through the Sentri lane, they just might take you Global Entry card.
I am still waiting for my truck to be added and went through the ready lanes with my sentri yesterday.

Thanks Mmc,

Is there a big difference between the Ready and Normal lanes? We just need that physical Global Entry card and passport and that's it?

Thanks
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2017 at 02:55 PM

Just got my Sentri renewal till 2022 and my new GOES account in about two weeks:o, added my new truck in the Sentri conveyance section beforehand. All of this done online for $100.

Aaargh, waiting for both cards on pins and needles, the DT's are racking my body as I type this.

Es Todo Bueno
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2017 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  

Thanks Mmc,

Is there a big difference between the Ready and Normal lanes? We just need that physical Global Entry card and passport and that's it?

Thanks

You can use passport, passport card, and Sentri/Global Entry in normal lanes. Passport card and Sentri/Global Entry in Ready lanes. Only Sentri/Global Entry in Sentri Lanes.

If anyone in your car has forgotten their documents, use only the normal lanes and have some other ID.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 06:45 AM

Regarding interviews and car inspections - SENTRI no longer inspects cars prior to receiving the SENTRI pass, only the "at the border" interview. You just have to make sure the car is listed on your GOES account. I have crossed three times (only at Otay Mesa) so far and have not yet been asked to pull over for a vehicle inspection. I was informed at the interview that it could happen at any time. I always have the declarations page filled out and on the back I have a printable list of all the things I brought to Mexico but am bringing back. So far so good!
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
Reminds me of coming through the border many years ago, been surfing all day and drinking every night for the last week, then capped it off with the 14 hour drive up through the Pacific coast gauntlet to TJ. Border officer asked when I entered Mexico and I couldn't remember the exact day, exhaustion had killed my memory, lol. I finally muttered my best guess and I guess it was close enough because he let me through. Since then I start getting my facts straight the hour before crossing.

That's funny, and has been my experience more and more lately. I try to remember what they have asked me before, because sometimes it's like a barrage of 20 questions. Some agents are really normal and cool, but last week through Tecate had a very rude fellow, but after all the questions he sent me on my way.

Apparently changing border crossings is a big flag, because he grilled me on why I had gone through Ysidro the last few times. Any change in vehicle is a flag, probably a trip to secondary if it is your first time crossing with it. They probably like to get an x-ray profile for future reference. They have so much info now it's crazy.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 11:07 AM

They don't ask stooped questions just to get a stooped answer....or any particular answer. They do it only to see and hear your response. Excessive nervousness will be a red flag to them and you may be in for a more intimate examination.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 03:46 PM

They have a job to do. I don't recall being asked stupid questions, but I've probably given some stupid answers. Sitting in that border line can scramble your brain.

Always best to not cross the border with anything to be nervous about. Apparently 2 bottles of wine is over the limit. 1 liter of alcohol includes beer, because 'alcohol is alcohol'.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

They don't ask stooped questions just to get a stooped answer....or any particular answer. They do it only to see and hear your response. Excessive nervousness will be a red flag to them and you may be in for a more intimate examination.

I suspect they are chatty on purpose, to waste time, increase border waits, and thereby justify overtime. LEOs are masters at gaming the system, to create artificial need for OT, and pad their pay.
kboy24

[*] posted on 6-26-2017 at 06:37 PM

WTF does that mean? lol
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.